Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvdr R/w

jac114

for those goldies out there that may be interested.. The wholesaler that i buy my pc bits from has got an offer on a dvd r/w for the pc

heres the spec

The new Mirror 4x Speed DVD+R/RW/CD-R/RW Combo Drive gives you the ability to create your own DVD's to store and share large amounts of data or video on a single 4.7GB disc.

Features: Vertical and horizontal operation Special anti dust seal PC 2001 MultiRead ACTOPC Buffer underrun prevention Modes supported: DVD single/dual-layers, DVD single/double-sided, DVD Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R(W) (read), DVD+R/RW, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-Text, CD-Video, CD-Extra, CD-DA, Photo-CD (single-/multisession), CD-R/RW Memory capacity: 4.7GB DVD, 700MB CD-R/RW Access time: 140ms (DVD)/ 120ms (CD) Data Transfer Rate: Read: DVD 12x CAV (max. 16.200 Kbyte/s), CD 40x CAV (max. 6.000 Kbyte/s); Write: DVD+R 4x (5.520KB/s), DVD+RW 2.4x (3.300KB/s), CD-R 16x (2.400KB/s), CD-RW 10x (1.500KB/s) Buffer Size: 2MB Interface: ATAPI/Ultra DMA 33 mode

for approx £70 with delivery

anybody who knows about dvd r/w care to comment on what you think ??

jac

They are basically two different recording standards. Most standard DVD readers can read both formats however some like one more than another. If you get a writer that can do both then at least you have the option to try the other format.

I guess it depends what you will be using the recorder for?

I have been looking into getting a writer for my PC :)

One thing I would say is check if the drive is just that, a bare drive, or does it come with writing software. Something may seem a bargin until your find out you need to spend an extra £40 on software.

Plus + Format has more features for under the TV dvd recorders but is very uncompatible with just about any DVD player or PC dvd rom drive more than a few years old

Minus - Format the first recordable format out of the block, not as fature packed but almost 100% compatible with any dvd player of games console etc. and the blank - discs are alot cheaper to buy.#

its uncertain which format is going to be the outright winner, sony developed the Plus format along with Philips and yet Sony DVD Recorders support both formats, how strange is that!!

given another 2 years they will both be defunct formats anyway as bluray machines will be cheap and they hold alot more infomation at much higher quality using a blue "Laser".

and just before that happens there will be dual layer - and + discs next year that will make all the recorders that are out now all be useless.

Its Propper Bo I Tell Thee

and just before that happens there will be dual layer - and + discs next year that will make all the recorders that are out now all be useless.

I think Philips are due to launch a dual layer machines early next year. 8.5 GB - 4 hours recording at top quality.

I probably qualify as the oldest member of the LOC therefore still use £sd & feet & inch's(however) try to enjoy modern tech, please help me, would this new machine transform my life more than my flying machine has ? and if it would how quickly can I get one. An earlier thread (whatever that is) mention how fast have you driven ! I was stopped at 128 mph, at dusk, just testing it after a service , it was suggested by a polite policeman that I had a death wish. I pointed out I had seen a car in the mirror but as one of its head lights wasn't working, it wasn't a problem... another polite policeman, looked at the light ...kicked it and it came on....being as honest as they always are...gave me a warning and told me to grow up ! I still haven't !.

I think Philips are due to launch a dual layer machines early next year. 8.5 GB - 4 hours recording at top quality.

Ah but unless you need it NOW, wait for Blu Ray (yes its American) I think it will have capacity of 30Gb on one DVD R or DVD RW (no + or -). Out 2004 they reckon. It uses blue lasers!

oh my.. shows i am a little behind on these things.. lol.. luckily my customers never ask me to put a dvd r/w in there systems... must spend some time a get back ahead of the game.. :D

so what sort of things would i be able to do with that dvd r/w i only have a pc dvd player and my playstion 2 for playing dvd's through

if you want to use them on your ps2 make sure it can record to the - minus fromat.

with the right software you can do pretty much anything a movie studio does with dvd's

film a new episode of eldorado on your digital camcorder, send the data to your pc using firewire and then edit it add in some special effects, make your own titles and add the background music, pretty much anything you want really

and if it doesnt end up how you like it you could always erase the disc and start again if its an RW :P :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links