Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt

keithperk56

Hi am new to this but can anyone offer me some advice. Is200 1999. Drove to work last night fine came out this morning and my car started sluggish and the it just cut out tried again a few times and it locked up timing slipped and sheared off some teeth was just wondering if anybody out there had this happen if so did the valves bend or would then bend when car was only trying to start.... All help greatly appreciated

There is a known problem with the timing belt where it can be worn down and eventually fail. The engine is an interference design so valves can hit the pistons, I know this has happened to members here but you can also be lucky and have the top half of the engine stop with valve only partially open so nothing is damaged.

Only a visual inspection or compression test will tell you for sure.

If you were lucky and the valves were all out of the way it wouldn't matter how many times you tried, you would still be okay - however that is unlikely.

I guess the cheapest way to find out would be to use an inspection camera through the plug holes to take a look - otherwise you have to pay for the head to be removed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links