Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Coolant.... Views Please...

NG18Stokie

Is there any concern to be had by small spots of coolant coming from the expansion tank?.. No other apparent symptoms of anything wrong... After a run in warm temperatures recently, there are a few spots of coolant on rad fan housing and surrounding... There doesn't seem to be any significant coolant level drop ..The car is recently acquired with only 28k on clock and just over 5 yrs old... Only covered 1800 miles in last 2.5 yrs and prior to this, driven by very sedate elderly lady. Some have suggested it may be the car ' finding its coolant level' after not having much use over the last 2 yrs ...though I am not racing, it certainly getting more of a push thru its paces from me.. Been fully serviced and a can of bg244 put thru, along with egr clean... Tips or views on this appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't worry, they all seem to do it. My replacement engine done it from new and I checked about 4 220ds on the lexus sales line and they all had evidence of spotting. As long as it's not spraying all over the engine bay and loosing lots of coolant it should be fine.

I wouldn't worry, they all seem to do it. My replacement engine done it from new and I checked about 4 220ds on the lexus sales line and they all had evidence of spotting. As long as it's not spraying all over the engine bay and loosing lots of coolant it should be fine.

Thanks for that,.... I too have seen one or two others with quite a bit of spotting. I spoke to Lexus GB too , about the head gasket issue.. They said that at my cars current age, if it was to develop any confirmed head gasket problem, they would be more likely than not to provide support for the repairs... Guessing that means they would fix it!!.. But she did say all cases are judged on individual circumstance...

Is there any concern to be had by small spots of coolant coming from the expansion tank?.. No other apparent symptoms of anything wrong... After a run in warm temperatures recently, there are a few spots of coolant on rad fan housing and surrounding... There doesn't seem to be any significant coolant level drop ..The car is recently acquired with only 28k on clock and just over 5 yrs old... Only covered 1800 miles in last 2.5 yrs and prior to this, driven by very sedate elderly lady. Some have suggested it may be the car ' finding its coolant level' after not having much use over the last 2 yrs ...though I am not racing, it certainly getting more of a push thru its paces from me.. Been fully serviced and a can of bg244 put thru, along with egr clean... Tips or views on this appreciated. Thanks

Hi there, hsd same problem on my is220d "08 ! ..and no, its not normal to find your engine sprayed with coolant whatever other say!! I had big headache because of this plus my heating in the car wasn't working either as coolant level was slightly dropping to minimum level but not below!! A friend of mine suggested to look at the expansion tank cap lead and before spend @35 for a new one, i took out the cap and at the lower gasket i add a couple of rounds of plumbing tape which is used for water pipes(blue one): its very tin and stretching. Below the expansion water tank on the left side you'll notice a little rubber called the overflow pipe which it realise coolant from the system if that cap-gasket fail hence the spray all over moro or less. I would say to start here before you go in any other expenses!! bringing the car to dealer it's ripp off. They will have a quick fix and charge you for God knows what reasons!!

Let me know how it go..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links