Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Pirelli Front Tyres

Tron20

Hey all,

The time has come to purchase two new front tyres for my lexus GS300 sport mkI, I thought i'd replace both at the same time. I've had the tracking checked before on the car when i noticed the inside edge of the front drivers side tyre was worn significantly, and they said it was spot on... so I in my limited knowledge assume the geometry is wrong.

I've recently replaced both rear tyres, one the 10" wide sport alloys and they seem to be wearing perfectly even, so don't really want the rear geometry/alignment settings changing. Not sure if the problem with my front drivers side tyre wear has any bearing on my poor fuel economy, but it can't be helping.

I understand that the official lexus released geometry settings for camber, castor, and toe are for the none sport model, and i'm not to happy knowing that changing the current settings to stock lexus settings could actually make it worse. Does anyone including tony bones have any true geometry/alignment settings for the lexus gs300 sport MKI with the wider alloys on the back?

I will take a picture of the severe inside edge tyre wear for anyone who might want to see it, or suggest whats causing the severe wear, the passenger side seems fine, if not wearing on the outer edge. As far as i know the car has never been in an accident, there are no signs of any damage thats been hidden, the car is also hpi clear, so i'm just assuming that a pothole or catching the kerb has knocked one or more of the settings out.

If anyone has any suggestions, or settings, they would be welcomed, and if anyone knows where around the derby/nottingham area is the best place for 4 wheel full alignment, please could you let me know. I'm hoping the small vibration i've got will go with new balanced tyres. I'm even considering taking it on a road trip to tony bones if it means it will be set up perfectly, the last thing i want to do its have someone sort it for £XX.XX and it just to do the same thing or worse.

Thanks for looking

Paul

P.S sorry for the long post :unsure:

Hey all,

The time has come to purchase two new front tyres for my lexus GS300 sport mkI, I thought i'd replace both at the same time. I've had the tracking checked before on the car when i noticed the inside edge of the front drivers side tyre was worn significantly, and they said it was spot on... so I in my limited knowledge assume the geometry is wrong.

I've recently replaced both rear tyres, one the 10" wide sport alloys and they seem to be wearing perfectly even, so don't really want the rear geometry/alignment settings changing. Not sure if the problem with my front drivers side tyre wear has any bearing on my poor fuel economy, but it can't be helping.

I understand that the official lexus released geometry settings for camber, castor, and toe are for the none sport model, and i'm not to happy knowing that changing the current settings to stock lexus settings could actually make it worse. Does anyone including tony bones have any true geometry/alignment settings for the lexus gs300 sport MKI with the wider alloys on the back?

I will take a picture of the severe inside edge tyre wear for anyone who might want to see it, or suggest whats causing the severe wear, the passenger side seems fine, if not wearing on the outer edge. As far as i know the car has never been in an accident, there are no signs of any damage thats been hidden, the car is also hpi clear, so i'm just assuming that a pothole or catching the kerb has knocked one or more of the settings out.

If anyone has any suggestions, or settings, they would be welcomed, and if anyone knows where around the derby/nottingham area is the best place for 4 wheel full alignment, please could you let me know. I'm hoping the small vibration i've got will go with new balanced tyres. I'm even considering taking it on a road trip to tony bones if it means it will be set up perfectly, the last thing i want to do its have someone sort it for £XX.XX and it just to do the same thing or worse.

Thanks for looking

Paul

P.S sorry for the long post :unsure:

Paul let me put things to rest..The cars HPI and so on is "not" in dispute. The geometry on the GS is "not" stable hence the multiple adjusters :D A full geometry will be the only answer....were to go? have a look on my site My Webpage go to "trusted centres" and see if any are near you. if not i can help "live".....

Take her down to the Doctor......just look at all the guys who have had the treatment and nothing but praise! Gotta be worth taking a day's vacation and the gas down to Watford.

(TSL Motorsport in Keyworth, just south of Nottingham did my geo, but I'm not sure if the Doc has them on his aproved list)

Take her down to the Doctor......just look at all the guys who have had the treatment and nothing but praise! Gotta be worth taking a day's vacation and the gas down to Watford.

(TSL Motorsport in Keyworth, just south of Nottingham did my geo, but I'm not sure if the Doc has them on his aproved list)

Well i spoke to TSL and set a few parameters for LOC, praised there conduct, sent an email for a "price" structure and heard.......................................nothing! I think thats why i only have five "trusted" centres on my site.....shame :crybaby:

Well i spoke to TSL and set a few parameters for LOC, praised there conduct, sent an email for a "price" structure and heard.......................................nothing! I think thats why i only have five "trusted" centres on my site.....shame :crybaby:

Yeah it is a load of b*****ks that people never can be bothered to respond to you. Maybe they are making too muc money already without having to bother following up on leads. If this was my own business someone would be walking out the door!

Yeah it is a load of b*****ks that people never can be bothered to respond to you. Maybe they are making too muc money already without having to bother following up on leads. If this was my own business someone would be walking out the door!

Well i dont know Mike, somtimes i feel the price commitment may be a problem, thing is i "want" an up front cost, this seems to be a problem, seemingly there cost is "per" customer? and i dont like that!!!!... nor do they ( for display ) Facts are TSL dealt with you in an exemplary fashion ( fact ) now they have gone "tits up"

Sadly I'm not greatly clued up on geometry settings on a car, and I'm sure that places round me could do a full geometry set up on my car, but they would only use the manufacturers figures, and i'm not entirely sure if any of my suspension has worn over the years, after all its a big heavy car... I'd just like to know what sort of settings would roughly be needed, as i don't want to spend £125 + vat for a full geometry setup, if they are going to adjust it to the manufacturers figures, and then be set up wrong to the car and the alloys it has. Then its just likely to have uneven wear anyway.

As i'm thinking of buying to pirelli P-zero asymetricos for the front for £185+ vat each, don't really want to be having to splash out for more in around 3 months time because the same thing has happened again. I think I saw on here that the geometry settings that lexus released for the GS300 sport were identical to the GS300 standard car without the bigger 18" alloys, and certainly not the wider 10" alloys.

I've had dealings with several tyre companies round here who have previously adjusted settings on my last few cars, and they have been wrong, the steering wheel has been off centre, one was supposed to be adjusting the tracking, but was actually trying to over alter the camber... just gives me no reason to want to go back to them. The latter actually had a laser alignment system which look pretty good, but not sure the best results were obtained.

Watford is quite a trek from me, living in Derby, its around 85-95 miles one way, although i am considering it as i'm likely to get the car set up correctly, just wished i'd gone there after buying the car from enfield, but little did i know there was a camber/geometry problem then

Tron,

I had Pirelli Pzero Assymetricos on my GS, and changed them rapidly - I did not like them at all - too much wheelspin for my liking.

I got Goodyear Eagles F1 to replace them - and have been much happier with them.

If you were gold - you would have access to the discount section, and you would be able to see the place I paid £130 for the F1s - thats saving £105 on two tyres ;)

AND you are supporting the club :D

Cheers Matthew, was considering some other tyres, but I like my dad prefer the P-zero's although not tried eagle F1's, wheelspin isn't a great problem as i'm changing the fronts only, and find that the pirelli's handle well on the front. Plus i've got the wider back tyres, which have awesome levels of grip (in the dry) but completely hopeless in the wet, :D

I've heard nothing but bad reports on the P-Zeros on the GS. You may think the grip levels are good until you try something better.

The fact that they wheelspin easily shows the grip level isn't all that.

The car is a 1997 on P reg, with the chassis code JT153JSE700******, with a 2JZGE engine, not sure on the official model code

I shall have a look on the chassis plate...

Its a JZS147R

right got two new tyres ordered for tomorrow, £305.88 inc vat and fitting for pirelli p-zero asymetrico's, the garage is gonna have a look at my tracking, and adjust it if necessary, and then i'm going somewhere else to have it's geometry set up on a laser machine, i've just got my fingers crossed that they can set it up properly, but i still think they are gonna set it to the wrong lexus settings, and i'm not gonna know until the tyres wear unevenly again :(

right got two new tyres ordered for tomorrow, £305.88 inc vat and fitting for pirelli p-zero asymetrico's, the garage is gonna have a look at my tracking, and adjust it if necessary, and then i'm going somewhere else to have it's geometry set up on a laser machine, i've just got my fingers crossed that they can set it up properly, but i still think they are gonna set it to the wrong lexus settings, and i'm not gonna know until the tyres wear unevenly again :(

Forget the wheel alignment its a wast of money! Go for the geo

DATA

Rear:

Toe Total:- 23' positive +- 11'

Camber :- 35' negative + 10' - 15'

Thrust :- 0

Front:

TOE Total:- 9' positive +- 11'

CAMBER :- 5' negative + 25' - 0

CASTOR :- 7 degrees positive +- 45'

KPI :- 8 degrees 40' ideal but at least even +- 45'

TOOT :- 5% of the total lock @ 38 degrees 45' on the inner wheel +30' -0

All settings are static but are based on the dynamic movement range geometricaly, in addition the rear camber/ toe will tolerate the wheel size and offset.

:blink: Ok those settings mean nothing to me, I've just had the geometry setup checked on a Hunter DSP 600 laser alignment machine, and the following print out was obtained, which doesn't show any real differences in the front passenger and driver settings, which doesn't explain why the drivers tyre is the only one wearing the inside edge...

Please feel free to have a look and let me know what you think, as far as I know these are all the settings that were checked

Geometry settings

It's looking more and more like a trip to watford...

Edit: - if you look closely, i've circled that they ran it with settings for an ES300, not GS300 so probably not gonna get the correct measurements...

Edit: - if you look closely, i've circled that they ran it with settings for an ES300, not GS300 so probably not gonna get the correct measurements...

"why!".... what is a ES300?

Question: why didn't you ask them to set the car to the figures i posted, since you was worried about the GS data?

: Why did you allow them to overlap your car with an "ES"

: Why didn't they adjust the rear camber a toe?

As things stand. The front and rear cambers are wrong, and the nsr toe is wrong, also the data overlap is wrong, in addition you only have half of the print out, the SJI/ KPI / INCLUDED ANGLE / TOOT /LOCK ANGLES / SET BACK are missing, these will be held on there system and they can print them off for you, i need these figures.

In summery its "pants"....sorry :crybaby:

I agree, it's not the figures I expected to see, I didn't actually realise you'd posted the correct settings last night, i also didn't realise they had used the ES300 figures instead of the GS300 figures until i glanced at the print out on the way back. Trouble is do i want to go back to them to get them to do it even if they can't put the correct model into their system....

Thanks again

Paul

P.S. the ES300 was a lexus model available in japan and america, and this system they used to check the geometry was american, so shows incompetance, I'll take it back to them tomorrow... with a print out of the settings you've suggested.

I agree, it's not the figures I expected to see, I didn't actually realise you'd posted the correct settings last night, i also didn't realise they had used the ES300 figures instead of the GS300 figures until i glanced at the print out on the way back. Trouble is do i want to go back to them to get them to do it even if they can't put the correct model into their system....

Thanks again

Paul

P.S. the ES300 was a lexus model available in japan and america, and this system they used to check the geometry was american, so shows incompetance, I'll take it back to them tomorrow... with a print out of the settings you've suggested.

Good for you! when you get the print out can you also get the "summery" print out? "page two" i will pm you my home # if you have any probs since i'm off till next week.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links