Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Oil 4 The Is200 Manual

Azif

4.2L of anything between 5w30 & 10w40. (assuming you're after engine oil)

If you can afford fully synthetic then I'd run it over semi synthetic & use a genuine filter as well.

What oil does it take ? As in engine oil lol mine has 96 on the clock and its on y reg asap can some1 tell me please thank you.

Are you after engine or gearbox oil?

Cheers

Guy

excuse me for jumping on this thread,

I have a IS200 X reg (2000) What engine oil do you guys recommend? Recently got a service done and was adviced to use semi-synthetic

Look at post #2 by E910- you can use either 5w-30 fully sythentic or 10w-40 semi-synthentic. Look in your manual, it also tells you what oil you can use. What oil did they use when you got the car recently serviced?

They aren't the fussiest of engines, so E910 is right about the engine. 5w-30, 5w-40 or 10w-40 is fine and synthetic is the best option if you can afford it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder/car/oil-filter-service-packs/lexus/2001/is/PETROL/is/16122/product-finder-2.aspx

That link also lists the gearbox oil

Hey there Mr Oilman, just been looking at what your site recommends for the diff & gearbox for the IS & only one of the oils recommended for the gear box meets the appropriate Lexus/Toyota specifications.

Also the recommendation for the diff is only one of the grades recommended & some of the auto trans fluid listed doesn't meet Toyota T-IV specs either.

It's a very nice web site & you have a great selection of oil but I would have hoped you would have done a bit more research into the listings.

RedLine MT-90 & Amsoil MTG are the only GL3/4 75w90 manual transmission oils you have. (Anything that is GL4/5 will cause premature synchro wear)

The diff can run LS90, 80w90, 85w140 etc. I'd be inclined to run a multi grade with the Torsen LSD especially. So you're potentially loosing out on sales there

The only ATF that state they meet T-IV are Fuchs ATF 4400, Amsoil Synthetic ATF & Millermatic ATF SP III

Thanks for the comments, I have had a look at the IS200 and it was indeed listing 2 incorrect ATF's for the autobox and my techie guys are getting those changed. The diffs standard recomendation is a API GL5 SAE90, though I agree 75w-90, 80w-90 are also suitable but my site is not incorrect when it comes to the diff. The original spec for the gearbox is a GL3 75w-90, however GL3 is obsolete these days and technically GL4 is obsolete as well. I dont see how a GL4/GL5 modern gearbox will cause premature synchro wear?

Cheers

Guy

My local Toyota/Lexus garage told me not to use GL5 in the gear box for this reason so I'm only going on what they've told me. I'm personally running MT-90 in mine & it's great stuff.

I found this on the redline site under MT-90 specs "Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage" & "Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)"

To a degree they are correct, a straight GL5 spec oil is different from a GL4/5. GL4/5 oils are GL4 gear oils that are so good they also pass the GL5 loads bearing spec as well so they are fine to use in place of GL3 or GL4. The additives used in the GL5 oils that caused yellow metal wear are no longer used in GL5 oils by any respected oil manufacturer, they have been replaced by friendly additives hense the use of GL4 is is being phased out slowly as GL4 is now technically obsolete.

Cheers

Guy

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links