Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Clunking Resolved

Hi all,

Further to my earlier post about a strange knocking noise coming from my front wheels, I have been to my Lexus dealer for help.

The noise comes from a valve in the shock absorber opening & closing, nothing to worry about. It's not a great design but I understand it affects the is200 and has been a widespread problem.

If you have had this noise, I hope reading this will help, it is not a big fault.

Thanks to those who suggested possible problems with brake pins / calipers & ball joints but these were not at fault. Thanks also to Lexus Cardiff for their attention on this matter, I had great service from them.

Cheers.

Hi,

I get this clunking/knocking sound from my 200Sport. Had 2 mechanics look at it but both couldn't find a problem with the car. I think this may explain it. Is there anything you can do about the noise or is it just not a problem?

Thanks

Chris

Mine's had this since I got the car at 1 year old 6 years ago. There's s*d all you can do about it. Lexus changed the shocks twice on mine (under warrantee) but it still does it. Annoying but I've got used to it now. I even changed the top mount in case it was that. Perhaps after market shocks may be a different design?

I too have this clunking noise. Not so much a big thud, but slightly more than a rattle. Mine seems to come from the front drivers side - can you guys confirm this is the same place?

Mine also seems to be coming from the front drivers side. I only hear it if I have the window down and not all the time, just every so often. It's not a rattle tho mate, doesn't sound like anything is loose it's just a heavy clunk/click.

Yeah I think I defo have the same knocking noise as you guys. Was gonna take it to the garage but don't think I will now. My missus's punto had a similar knocking once, can't remember exactly what it was but something like a cv joint or bearing got replaced, but that only used to knock when going round a corner - this is worse over rough road or a speed bump.

it would be called the recoil valve. allows the shock to move upwards sharply but drop under controlled conditions to prevent bouncing ;)

should hear the valves clunk on aircraft! you know its minor when u hear one of them!

So is there no way of stopping/curing it?

No apparently! Just gotta put up with it.

I suppose if someone changes the OEM shocks with some other make ... it will not do it anymore.

I have started having a clong ... sound from the front drive side over speed bumps I thought it was a ball joint as I have changed all my bushes so these cannot be.

And the shocks/springs are going to be changed soon as well as I want a better ride from the car.

So will let you know if it is dissapeared with the new setup

So is there no way of stopping/curing it?

No apparently! Just gotta put up with it.

I suppose if someone changes the OEM shocks with some other make ... it will not do it anymore.

I have started having a clong ... sound from the front drive side over speed bumps I thought it was a ball joint as I have changed all my bushes so these cannot be.

And the shocks/springs are going to be changed soon as well as I want a better ride from the car.

So will let you know if it is dissapeared with the new setup

I suppose changing them to a different make will cure the clunking but I have 4 shocks in excellent condition (except for the clunk noise) so can't justify the expense of changing them. Will be interested to find out if it cures it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links