Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought A Lexus With One 2 Button Key Advise Please.

hello im new to the forum and have just bought a 2001 lexus is200 with a black 2 button key and thats the only one ive got , i thought it was a master key dont they have 3 buttons or did they make a 2 button master key , ive come across another 3 button master key from another 2001 is200 with 3 buttons can i programme this up to open the doors on my car?

ill try and put a picture on here of the key that works my car , do you think its a master?

any help would be great ,thanks :shifty:

post-44893-0-65920400-1349601204.jpg

No mate I,m afraid this isn't a master key and your kinda screwed without one. The master key has 3 buttons.

You can only programme another key to your car from an existing master key so no you can't get another master or even another spare key. The car would have originally have had 2 master keys and 3 spare 'valet' keys.

Sorry for the bad news but the only way to get new keys for you would be to change the ECU, door locks and ignition barrel and this is at a cost of £2000 from Lexus. And this is what you would have to do if you lost your only key. :(

I´m pretty sure that you can just buy a new 3 button key, and have it coded at your local Lexus/Toyota Dealer. As long as you have a key with the correct Immobiliser code on, you can get it working. And the unlocking door part you can also do, as long as you have a key with remote lock/unlock.

I´m pretty sure that you can just buy a new 3 button key, and have it coded at your local Lexus/Toyota Dealer. As long as you have a key with the correct Immobiliser code on, you can get it working. And the unlocking door part you can also do, as long as you have a key with remote lock/unlock.

I'm afraid not mate. We have the same problem. My wife only has 1 spare valet key for her IS200. No master key! Ive been through this at length with Lexus. You cannot code another key to the car without a working master key. You can cut a new key from a valet but you can't code it to the immobiliser or door locks so it's useless! Won't start the car.

To check if a key is a master put it in the ignition. The red security light on the dash will go out immediately if a master. If its a valet key the red light will stay on for 2-3 seconds.

Bet every IS200 owner have gone through this issue many many time....

Anyone have others solution than changing the ECU which cost more than the car???

A key master could have a "hidden" solution to make a duplication key remote or a "gadget" that can hack into it....

i know it's a stupid question but i'm sure some might think it worth the try..... :geek:

My Lexus being the sportcross has only 2 button keys.

2 black keys and

1 light grey key which I believed it was the master key?

They all have 2 buttons one unlock and one lock.

Sports cross had 2 button master keys. 3rd button is to open the boot on the saloon. Sports cross didn't have this. Guess its down to the size of the boot door.

Chris, where are you getting this info?

I have worked for Toyota/Lexus here in denmark for nearly 5 years now and i have never come across a master key with buttons, unless someone have coded it to be the master key.

The light gray key is always the master key.

You can always code a new key as long as you have a functional key with remote lock/unlock in it.

But tomorrow i will try to delete and then re-code a key for my IS and we will see if it works without me using the master key and just using a regular key.

This is the info I have been given by Lexus Swindon after I couldn't believe that I couldn't just order a spare key! It amazed me also but that's what I'm told.

The first thing the parts desk ask you when you call to order a new key is and I quote "do you have the 3 button master key"

Yea, i might be wrong. But i will test it tomorrow.

I´m thinking that the IS is new enought that you code the transponder with the "Intellegent Tester" from Lexus. But i have never tried coding a key for an IS200. Only never Lexuses.

OK according to the Lexus Manual ... the Black key is the master key.

The grey key is the Sub Key which will not open the glove box or the boot (trunk).

Here are the pics of my keys and the manual.

This Manual is for a 2002 model IS ... so maybe the earlier ones might be different.

I do not think 2 buttons or 3 buttons make a difference... the master key has black colour and the sub key has grey colour.

Patrick accoring to the manual if your sub key (grey) does not have buttons or remote function you don't have deadlocking feature on the car?

IMG_20121007_212726.jpg

IMG_20121007_213025.jpg

I think the key system might be different on left hand drive models maybe as your in Denmark?

Here's just 1 of many threads confirming here in the UK 3 buttoned are usually the masters.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=67167

Yea, i see that the manual says that.

But i can tell you that i have coded many Toyotas with the gray(apparently sub-key) and have the car start and lock/unlock with remote after. We mostly repair Toyotas, because Lexus isnt that big here in Denmark, but should be the same system.

I know that you can use a key from a Toyota Landcruiser(3-button one) and get it cut and coded to work on an IS200.(Saves you some money, but it says Toyota on the back instead of Lexus) :)

Well the outcome is the following.

If he has the black key regardless buttons it is the master key.

If he has a grey key regardless buttons is a subkey.

This is from the Lexus manual :)

If Toyotas/Lexus says that a black 2 button key is not a master key ... then they have to revise their manuals as they are misleading ;) lol

hehe. Well i have always been told that the gray key was the master key :P Never looked it up in a manual though, and i have always been able to code with it, so never had a reason to look it up. :)

But i will test it tomorrow at work, and see if it works :)

I can supply a working None remote key for Lexus and toyota.

No need for a master key. As long as you have a working key, I can clone it.

£30 to £65.

Advert alert!! Lol....

Well I ordered a spare key for my IS last week and I went to Lexus Bristol today to pick it up. They coded it for me, £35 for the coding and £133 for the key!!

I asked the guy sat in my car coding my key if he could clone a key from a valet key if it was programmed to the car as we still don't have a spare for my wife's IS. His answer was categorically NO! You need a master key.

I'm sure this fella above "the Keyman" can get around it as others I'm sure have done to but Lexus won't do you a spare key unless you have the master.

I also asked about 2 and 3 buttons. Lexus guy said 90% of IS's came with 3 buttoned masters but some did come with 2 button masters, normally earlier models on V, W and X reg :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links