Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not a new topic from me but I am a bit further on with a resolution and hope people can help from this point?

I have found out tonight that the system, which is an ML system, (no aftermarket mods etc), will not play ordinary CD's, no sound. Car is an IS250 (2007)

It will play MP3 discs and anything connected in the Aux port.

It will recognise there is a normal music CD in the unit as its indicated its playing via the timer on the screen.

It will recognise there is a DVD in the unit as there is video on the screen but no sound.

Radio works fine.

Nav works fine.

The DVD and CD's have worked in the past but for some reason have now stopped.

In both instances (CD and DVD playback) there is no visual notification on the screen where it usually shows that there is any increase or decrease from the volume button when turning the button up or down.

I think this rules out the Amp?

Has anyone experienced this - it looks like a software issue as the CD and DVD's are running. Does the DVD and CD work on the same channel to the AMP / Same wire etc? I did take the unit months ago just to see if there were any wires loose ant there weren't any. I could take it out again and re-seat the connectors just to make sure.

Any help out there?

Have a read of this..post 11 is the main event

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/96602-volume-function-not-working-on-2007-is220d/#entry899491

Hope it helps. Got to be worth investigating. It's easier to get into the boot than taking the centre console apart. Would be worth contacting Rizzy and see if he had any photos to guide you.

The discs all work in other music players. Oddly enough the ones that work are burned from PC and the original ones don't work. DVD's are original and they work in other players.

I have read the post on the chap fixing his amp, I think he replaced two components in it. I will take the head unit out at the weekend and re-seat the connections and also do the amp as well but the last time I took it out they were all secure. ..

I will break open the amp as a last resort as I can use the stereo at the moment so would rather not kill it totally. I don't think I am confident enough to get down to component level on something like this but I will give it a go. It would be nice to see users re-posting remedies that have worked against their original posts - pictures are always very helpful.

I took the amp out today - revealed a vent to the outside from the boot. A few small leaves and some dirt in the well also. Doesn't seem like an ideal place to put an electrical part like this with the connections facing the vent?! Looks like there has been a bit of a manufacturer modification in putting a plastic shield in the way to deflect any moisture or dirt.

Definitely work a preventative check to see it your vents are clear of dirt as if they are blocked or obstructed then moisture and dirt will be entering the boot.

I noticed the nut securing the amp to the body was a bit corroded.

Picture below shows the vents - you can only get to them by removing two nuts to move the amp out of the way.

post-35349-0-64215100-1439133076_thumb.j

So I took the amp out to see if there was anything obvious that was blown - there are no fuses in the amp itself. I opened it up and everything seemed ok - a bit dirty but with a clean everything looked good. - pictures below are how to open it up.

post-35349-0-37145800-1439133221_thumb.j

post-35349-0-93885900-1439133240_thumb.j

post-35349-0-11188900-1439133262_thumb.j

post-35349-0-42117000-1439133287_thumb.j

post-35349-0-97334000-1439133306_thumb.j

post-35349-0-26303400-1439133325_thumb.j

So with no fault found I put it all back together, cleaned out the dirt from the amp location and connected it all up. Still no sound.

Next I took the head unit out - I re-seated all the leads in case they had come loose. Connected it back up. Still no sound.

So ..... I am looking at replacing parts now. I am pretty sure the amp is ok as its working fine in providing sound for the radio etc. I think the problem lies with the bottom disc unit as the issue seems to be with discs (originals and DVD's providing no sound). Anyone know if that's likely to be the issue or the correct part - I don't want to go round changing all the parts out as it can turn out to be quite expensive. I guess the last thing to do would be to remove this unit / strip down and check it out for any noticeable issues.

post-35349-0-64215100-1439133076_thumb.j

post-35349-0-37145800-1439133221_thumb.j

post-35349-0-93885900-1439133240_thumb.j

post-35349-0-11188900-1439133262_thumb.j

post-35349-0-42117000-1439133287_thumb.j

post-35349-0-97334000-1439133306_thumb.j

post-35349-0-26303400-1439133325_thumb.j

From re-reading the thread it sounds as though the laser reader ( the bit that scans the disc ) has become mis-aligned, it's the most likely if the head will play some discs and not others. possibly had a knock direct to the unit sometime ( possibly something in the boot moved). I wouldn't suspect component failure if it will play some and not others.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links