Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello guys, I own a SE Navigator & had it for 30 months the best car I have ever owned, but I am afraid the flappy paddles and esc thingy are wasted on me I rarely go over 70mph and drive quite smoothly, the car has had 3 oil changes my husband does all that he is a mechanical engineer, he also changed 2 pre cat O2 sensors and the plenum chamber as the original had a broken inlet pipe Dave changes oil every 6000 miles he is not an advocate of long life oil, okay my problem is that when my car was recalled it went to Lexus Teesside who were brilliant for the petrol sensor, they loaned me a IS300 for the day valet end my car and carried out a health check, and there was no problems apart from rear tyres almost bald, this shocked me and here is why, the car had Continental tyres fitted the rears being ready for change, the car had 46000 miles on when bought Dave had fitted Hankook EVO S1 245/45 by 17's. Last year around March 2015 with 56000 miles went to get 2 new fronts Hankook EVO S2 (as they had brought out S2 no more S1), shocked to learn my rear tyres were almost treadless, so the tyre services replaced the rears too with Hankook EVO S2 so new tyres front rear Hankook EVO s2 225/45 by 17 front 245/45 by 17 rear, so June 10 when my recall was carried out front tyres around 5 mm tread rears 0.9 and 1.3 !......65000 miles w.t.f.?

i wrote to Hankook customer services who were very polite but wanted me to send them the 1st set of tyres but it was expensive to send by courier and was a chew, and as Dave said they will only say there is nothing wrong with them it must be the car, but the geometry has been checked, no wear on anything and I never pull wheelies or whatever you do, any of you guys had this kind of trouble is the IS known for rear tyre wear ? Hankook are a good quiet grippy tyre, they have a good review Dave has always bought them, with no trouble, one tyre fitter fresh out of school remarked "oh they're ******* them", as hubby said there is no bad rubber now, BMW and Ford fit Hankook as standard any way I'll get off my soapbox let me know what you think fellas

Were the tyres saw toothed, skodas are notted for doing the rears. All these so called 4 wheel geometry is a load of you know what.

It is down to certain brand tyres on certain vehicles. I prefer Falken 914s on the rears of my cars, brilliant hard wearing tyres good in dry and wet.

Good price as well had no trouble at all with uneven tyre wear. I also agree pointless sending them back,you wont win that one.

THANKS KEITH that is the thing the tyres are worn totally even right across both tyres, Dave thought the quoted tyre pressure ar around 46psi was too high, but the tyres have not worn as though over inflated, unbeknown to me he ordered the new tyres and they have been despatched they were £175 delivered and then there is £20 fitting, he has wrote again to Hankook but i told him when i berated him, he was flogging a dead horse there.....let you know what happens.

On 14/06/2016 at 0:13 PM, Cruella said:

THANKS KEITH that is the thing the tyres are worn totally even right across both tyres, Dave thought the quoted tyre pressure ar around 46psi was too high, but the tyres have not worn as though over inflated, unbeknown to me he ordered the new tyres and they have been despatched they were £175 delivered and then there is £20 fitting, he has wrote again to Hankook but i told him when i b*llocked him, he was flogging a dead horse there.....let you know what happens

Generally if they are even right across, its not an alignment issue.

46psi is ridiculously high - should be at around 36-38psi I reckon.

However, Continental tyres are notorious for poor wear.

Personally haven't had a Hankook tyre - I usually go for Michelin, Dunlop or Goodyear and no problems with any of them whatsoever. Worth remembering that 10 years ago, Hankook was a "budget" brand so no idea how they became a Premium brand - take that how you will lol

• Like 1

As long as tires are worn evenly, there should be no issue on alignment side. as other said 46psi are very high pressure. I don't know where the figure came from, but standard is 35 for front and 38 for rear. I found this pressure too low and it was causing outside wear for my tires, which would indicate too low pressure (usually run Dunlop sportmaxx). After replacing all tires I have now inflated front to 38psi, rears to 40psi, which I found as a good balance between wear, fuel economy and comfort. Rear tires were replaced 12k miles ago and worn just about 2mm, which I consider very good wear. 

Now the reason of excessive wear could be very high pressure (46psi), or maybe batch of tires, maybe they were old batch? I believe you referring to Ventus S1 evo 2 as there are no such tires as Evo S2

http://www.hankooktire.com/uk/passenger-cars/hankook-ventus-s1-evo2-k117.html

That said I would point out that even Hankook list they wear as below average (See performance/wear - 4/10). Together with over inflation I guess that is your answer.

Hope you going to get better wear on new set. Good luck!

Hey lads thank you I might let him sleep in the bed tonight instead of the settee haha!, you have put my mind at rest as Dave always set the tyre pressure at the higher end of the scale load and speed, and the exact mileage from the rears is 11065 miles to date and getting from eBay they could have been a substandard or old batch thanks again fellas you are all diamonds 

1 hour ago, Cruella said:

Hey lads thank you I might let him sleep in the bed tonight instead of the settee haha!, you have put my mind at rest as Dave always set the tyre pressure at the higher end of the scale load and speed, and the exact mileage from the rears is 11065 miles to date and getting from eBay they could have been a substandard or old batch thanks again fellas you are all diamonds 

Worth remembering that some tyres on eBay are repaired when they shouldnt be repaired and some are "re trimmed" i.e. shaved to make them look new - not the most honest of places to get tyres from really.

• 3 months later...

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY TO THIS THREAD BUT CAPS sorry Hankook namely Chris Baxter the customer services manager was brilliant with me, they sent me 2 brand new tyres free of charge as well as advice from Hankook to run the tyres at 38 psi rear 36 psi front, and what a difference the ride isnt as jittery of poor roads still handles well fuel consumption no change and tyres are great. I would recommend Hankook tyres on the Lexus they really are grippy quiet and great after sales service. Thanks for all the advice.

That's strange, as I have had a pair of Continental contact 5 on the rear since I bought the car. Recently changed my alloy wheels with new one that came with tyres. Even after 3 and a half years the tyres were in very good condition and managed to sell them.

See the picture

IMG_0575.JPG

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links