Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok - just to take everyones mind off the raging insurance debate that Linas has....:wink3:

I have never quite understood the explanation of this.

When we are told to reset the ECU, for whatever reason, the car re-learns what the driving style is. What does this mean? I get the fact that it will re-learn a few of the technical bits like fuel RON types being used etc / emmissions etc but driving style????

Does this mean that if I reset the ECU in the morning and immediately drive like Mrs Daisy to work then the car will "set itself up" in that driving style until reset again or does the ECU continually monitor the driving and amend to the different driving conditions and if I switched to F1 mode it would compensate for that?

Not being ignorant, just not fully understood what this process actually does, a bit like the self check it does when you first turn the car on, in that instance what is it self checking that the ECU isn't?

Trying to find a link I had that explains a Soft ECU reset very well,.....

TaaDaaah...Found it.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

My other car is a MkIII Mondeo and I have been posting on the TalkFord forum for some time now, hopefully helping a lot of people overcome their problems and more importantly saving hard earned cash.

This link is for the ECU fitted to the Ford and explains exactly what a 'Drive Cycle' is and why it is required after a soft ECU reset, hope it explains a bit deeper. But put in quite simple terms I normally tell people that the ECU recieves info from numerous sensors to make 'Decisions'. These sensors have a 'normal range of operation' and if they got out of this range then the ECU can compensate and ultimately if it can't then it will go into a default mode of operation or 'Limp Home'. so when an ECU is powered up for the first time ( after Battery removal) then it likes to get aquainted with all its input sensors, the 'Drive Cycle' is required to make sure that all the sensors are put to use and recognised by the ECU.

paul m.

• Like 1

I bought my is250 from an old dear in her late 60's who averaged 4000 mile per year.

At first the car felt sluggish and underpowered so after a couple of weeks I did an ecu reset. I then drove the car hard with plenty of kickdowns.

This was no placebo effect, the car was much more eager and responsive after this.

• Like 1

Actually, I've found that the car responds to your current driving style as well. If I've been driving sedately and then want to get a move on, the kickdown will be sluggish. If you then change to a more urgent and aggressive style - mid journey - then the kickdowns do become more rapid. I don't think it's placebo at all.

I only recently got my 250 and it has done similar low mileage by the previous owner ( approx 3500 per annum!) I have only put about 50 miles on it so far as I have been working away :(  but I have fitted a PO-40 module and when doing so I disconnected the Battery, so now the car is going to get all its sensor inputs from My style of driving!!!! Upto my other car ( 16 yr old MkIII 1.8 petrol Mondeo) it pulls like a Dozen Donkeys and wants to keep going so I am going to have to be a good boy to keep a clean license! Very impressed with it so far.

paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links