Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if my typing seem's a bit wooden.

At the moment I own a 93 Mercedes 200E , but have been mulling over changing it. Last week at a local garage I saw a Black fully loaded Lexus for GS300 (94 model for sale).

It really is a beauty , within my price range and has 79k on the clock with a full service history.

I would be very grateful to any suggestions on checking it over properly please, though from a one inch chip of paint off the bumper I really cant see no bad problems.

I have been looking at this site for the last few days and was really impressed how helpful everyone is. I know it has a cat fitted and was wondering how long they nomally last. Anyway I wont ramble on too much, but would love any advice etc

thanks

regards

Ian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

At the moment I own a 93 Mercedes 200E , but have been mulling over changing it. Last week at a local garage I saw a Black fully loaded Lexus for GS300 (94 model for sale).

It really is a beauty , within my price range and has 79k on the clock with a full service history.

I would be very grateful to any suggestions on checking it over properly please, though from a  one inch chip of paint off the bumper I really cant see no bad  problems.

I have been looking at this site for the last few days and was really impressed how helpful everyone is. I know it has a cat fitted and was wondering how long they nomally last. Anyway I wont ramble on too much, but would love any advice etc

thanks

regards

Ian

Welome to LOC Ian, if help and advice is what you need LOC is the place and i can vouch for that follow the responce given to (wheels-inmotion). The cat should last the life of the car, there are reasons why a cat could fail but why go there now? my best advice with the car would be the HPI and a full geometry? if you want me to expand on the geometry let me know....

Hi all,

I would be very grateful to any suggestions on checking it over properly please, though from a  one inch chip of paint off the bumper I really cant see no bad  problems.

thanks

regards

Ian

Welome to LOC Ian, if help and advice is what you need LOC is the place and i can vouch for that follow the responce given to (wheels-inmotion). The cat should last the life of the car, there are reasons why a cat could fail but why go there now? my best advice with the car would be the HPI and a full geometry? if you want me to expand on the geometry let me know....

Hi ,

thankyou :) Yes please any information would be grateful as I have to make my mind up tomorrow. Its the full check over and road test

regards

Ian

not a lot to check realy as they are a very reliable car ,but make sure there is no wheel wobble at speed as they suffer from this quite a lot ,make sure service history is up to date and full lexus and as said before HPi the car to check for accident damage etc ,how much is the car going for ,you could use the search feature at the top of screen as it has been covered quite a lot in the past.

there is a checklist for looking at the GS on the knowledgebase somewhere. Main things that crop up are wheel wobble at speed which is either brake rotors, wheel balancing or geometry set up other than that its the usual checks mines a 94 gs that had the same mileage on it as the one you are looking at and its rock solid and the best car i have owned to date even if its not the fastest good luck

Many thanks for all your help :D , I'll let you know how I get on as well. I have to admit it looks a beauty of a car, also as a little surprise I found the fuel economy is comaparable with my old Merc and thats a 2 ltr!.

Why is it the insides of all the mercs seem to look the same ?, thats what put me off buying another one, boredom I suppose. The Lexus just looks amazing

regards

Ian

welcome to loc ian  :)

Thankyou, and nice car!. Well I took the GS300 for its test drive, and I couldnt fault it, love the steering wheel thing, I thought where is that going , it must have moved five inches when I turned the ignition off. As much as I want to buy the car, the day has had a sting in the tail, the salesman just wants to give me £700 for my Mercedes 200E (93). it has a full history and fully serviced, but because of the drop i'm £250 short. I thought it was a bit low for a part exchange. I am working on it. I find out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thankyou for all the help :)

regards

Ian

welcome to loc ian  :)

Thankyou, and nice car!. Well I took the GS300 for its test drive, and I couldnt fault it, love the steering wheel thing, I thought where is that going , it must have moved five inches when I turned the ignition off. As much as I want to buy the car, the day has had a sting in the tail, the salesman just wants to give me £700 for my Mercedes 200E (93). it has a full history and fully serviced, but because of the drop i'm £250 short. I thought it was a bit low for a part exchange. I am working on it. I find out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thankyou for all the help :)

regards

Ian

I wish you the best of luck. Hope you get it Ian

Tell him thats all you have and thats all he is getting ,bet he go's for it .salesmen are good blaggers just play him at his own game and don't be tempted to give in .good luck

I will just do that, :D. I have been looking at the pictures . They are so well designed , they dont look "samey" like a lot of cars .

I was impressed on how quiet the engine ran on the GS.

Peter yours is the later model and very nice looking too!

I did notice two chip marks on the one I'm after , but being black it will be easier for me to do the little touch ups myself. I am looking on the bright side,(on getting the car :D ) and open to any suggetsion on the type of touch up paint you use, is it off the shelf or is it a special order. The GS is the blackest black I have seen on a car for a long time, it has a nice lustre to it , not bad for 11 year old paint. what ever they use it seems to be a very hard finish

regards

Ian

14 hours to go , no sleep tonight :blink:

were abouts are you as i have seen two for sale in kent this week and both were black,engine is the quietist i have ever had in a car ,when i first got mine i used to pull up at traffic lights and think it had cut out ,in fact it seems the only noise you can hear when cruising is that of the heater fan .Peters car should be the same model as yours, i hope :unsure:

As much as I want to buy the car, the day has had a sting in the tail,  the salesman just wants to give me £700 for my Mercedes 200E (93). it has a full history and fully serviced, but because of the drop i'm £250 short. I thought it was a bit low for a part exchange. I am working on it. I find out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I get on.

whats the spec of your Merc Ian?

lets look it up onparkers, whatcar etc - give you some ammo to blast the salesman with :D

Hi Ian,again welcome to the forum...

Good luck with buying the car.....The dealers playing hard to get buy the sounds of things,these big cars are hard to sale this time of year so be blunt about buying it.He will give you what you want to close the deal...or give him your number,tell him to call you if he changes his mind on the trade in price on your car...

Youve only got to look on say the Autotrader website to see theres loads of good nick GS300s forsale....

Cheers chips...

Hi Ian,again welcome to the forum...

Good luck with buying the car.....The dealers playing hard to get buy the sounds of things,these big cars are hard to sale this time of year so be blunt about buying it.He will give you what you want to close the deal...or give him your number,tell him to call you if he changes his mind on the trade in price on your car...

Youve only got to look on say the Autotrader website to see theres loads of good nick GS300s forsale....

Cheers chips...

Hi Chips

first thing , Im just getting used to how the reply thing works on here, I wasnt sure If I replied individul or to everyone in one go. You can really tell i'm new to this lark :D .

The car is a GS 300 94 model and the spec is on the sheet as fully loaded, and it seems to be, full leather (its a light fawn.. lovely colour) it has every gadget under the sun on it, The guy is asking £3995 for it, but I did see a sheet inside with £4500, so I think its been reduced, so that may be why he is being a bit finiky

I know it might be a bit sad but I think the moving steering wheel is mint! :) .

Never had a car that does that. It seems to have a memory on it.

it has 79k on the clock, its got loads of life left in the engine.

regards

Ian

were abouts are you as i have seen two for sale in kent this week and both were black,engine is the quietist i have ever had in a car ,when i first got mine i used to pull up at traffic lights and think it had cut out ,in fact it seems the only noise you can hear when cruising is that of the heater fan .Peters car should be the same model as yours, i hope :unsure:

Hi mudzs

i'm in peterborough, I dont mind admiting I have only £3000 part loan part cash.

and thought it a fantastic buy instead of a thrashed out heap. I thought with my Merc part exchanged I would walk it, but he has taken the wind out of my sales, but I feel a breeze :D

regards

Ian

As much as I want to buy the car, the day has had a sting in the tail,  the salesman just wants to give me £700 for my Mercedes 200E (93). it has a full history and fully serviced, but because of the drop i'm £250 short. I thought it was a bit low for a part exchange. I am working on it. I find out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I get on.

whats the spec of your Merc Ian?

lets look it up onparkers, whatcar etc - give you some ammo to blast the salesman with :D

Hi Matthew,

its a Gs 300 94 fully loaded with all the extras ( I had mentioned about the steering wheel) , I really cant get over it :D , modern technology , ive just found it ! He is asking £3995, which I have to admit for the car is an amazing price.

I have to say a big thankyou for the help and welcome everyone has given me. for this reason alone I want a Lexus.

regards

Ian

Hi all,

thanks

regards

Ian

thankyou for the welcome,

im just getting used to how to reply to everyone now, so apologies for missing you out :D , we're a bit slow in the fens!

regards

Ian

Hi Matthew,

its a Gs 300 94 fully loaded with all the extras ( I had mentioned about the steering wheel) , I really cant get over it  :D , modern technology , ive just found it ! He is asking £3995, which I have to admit for the car is an amazing price.

I have to say a big thankyou for the help and welcome everyone has given me. for this reason alone I want a Lexus. 

regards

Ian

meant the spec of you Merc mate - so we can get a better idea of a part ex figure ;)

Hi Matthew,

its a Gs 300 94 fully loaded with all the extras ( I had mentioned about the steering wheel) , I really cant get over it  :D , modern technology , ive just found it ! He is asking £3995, which I have to admit for the car is an amazing price.

regards

Ian

meant the spec of you Merc mate - so we can get a better idea of a part ex figure ;)

DOH!

Its a 93 200E white , front electric windows. mirrors and sunroof, (I know please dont laugh) standard wheels. its had two keepers and has full service history,

106k on the clock.

One think on the Lexus the last stamped service was feb 02, and nothing after that, though it runs and sounds excellent. I have been told it will get a service and new cambelt when I buy it, but is this a worry do you think?

There is no papers for anything after this date. He did say it had a full service history but thats all there was. I'll have to pick him up on that I think :D

regards

Ian

Its a 93 200E  white ,  front electric windows. mirrors and sunroof, (I know please dont laugh) standard wheels. its had two keepers and has full service history,

106k on the clock.

I can't find a 200E on parkers or whatcar mate :blush:

One think on the Lexus the last stamped service was feb 02, and nothing after that, though it runs and sounds excellent. I have been told it will get a service and new cambelt when I buy it, but is this a worry do you think?

There is no papers for anything after this date. He did say it had a full service history but thats all there was. I'll have to pick him up on that I think :D

regards

Ian

if there was a full service history - then it would have been serviced at least three times after that - and there would be paperwork to prove it.

Thats one thing to throw in his face mate - spotty service history.

If he gonna service it, make sure it is a full service, plugs, belts and fluids. ;)

As the car has service history missing i would phone the last dealer who serviced it and ask if he has done any since ,could be the book just did not get stamped ,you also need to rule out that it has not been clocked as these cars will do big miles and not show it ,so ask the last garage who serviced it for as much info as possible .check steering wheel ,brake pedal, carpets(including lifting overmats) for wear.look at what dealer name is written on the number plates and give them a ring for info and as a last resort phone previous owner from the log book to check mileage .most important HPi the car even if the dealer tells you he has already done it ,it will verify mileage and tell you of any accident damage etc.ask them to knock the price of the cambelt and service of the car because at that mileage if it has been serviced the cambelt would have been done already .and to be honest i would rather get some money of and give the car to a garage i know and trust to service it especialy when a cambelt is involved .price sounds about right for the gs300 as the mileage is low but stick to yours guns and he will fold .

Its a 93 200E  white ,  front electric windows. mirrors and sunroof, (I know please dont laugh) standard wheels. its had two keepers and has full service history,

106k on the clock.

I can't find a 200E on parkers or whatcar mate :blush:

regards

Ian

if there was a full service history - then it would have been serviced at least three times after that - and there would be paperwork to prove it.

Thats one thing to throw in his face mate - spotty service history.

If he gonna service it, make sure it is a full service, plugs, belts and fluids. ;)

Thanks for that :D , and also I think you have made my mind up on something as well.

If he wont give me anymore for my Merc I'll just bite the bullet, and buy it. But there is a something he will have to do first. There is more than one Lexus out there :D

for a £700 trade in I want a proper service then, the 80k one, as you said all the fluids and belts etc , plus an MOT for a full twelve months.

I can get an independant garage to check its been done, (ive known the guy since he was an aprentice , and he has his own garage now)

I just had a look at the advert, and it does say a full service history, but it isnt as I saw the book.

On the plus side it is a car that has been VERY well looked after, the engine sounds brilliant surely it hasnt gone this long without a check over?

But I am going to take your advice. I am smitten with the GS, but I am willing to look for another one if I have to. Keep your fingers crossed for me as i'm going to call his bluff tomorrow :)

regards

Ian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links