Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Direct Line Rip-off

Steviewevie

Well, I rang up my insurance company, Direct Line, to tell them about my K&N air filter. They have charged me around £35 (can't remember the exact figure), which includes a £13 admin fee. I explained the filter in detail to them, told them it wasn't an induction kit, might give a 2% bhp increase, if that, but they said that was what I had to pay. And I've only got a few months left on my policy.

Well I'll definitely be switching coming renewal time ! :tsktsk:

Think mine only went up around £70 when i added the exhaust, new wheels,induction kit and coilovers? does sound a bit steep mate :o

:offtopic: Oh and sent your ciggy power cap mate so should get it soon :D

Thanks :D Wonder how much Direct Line will charge me for that mod though ? :lol:

I think I'll look into whether I can switch my policy now (e.g. get a refund for what's left), rather than wait for renewal time :tsktsk:

i am 26 with tpft cover with adrian flux, told them about my coilovers, backbox, 18" wheels. cost £22 including admin till end of year and only £45 over a full year. these guys seem great with mods insurance. and i not even on a modified policy. will be next year tho. got some plans lol

Yeah, thanks, Adrian Flux will definitely be on my list of companies to talk to, whether that's now or when my policy comes up for renewal.

ok, thought I'd share the happy ending here.

I did speak to Adrian Flux, but their quote was a bit rubbish (expensive). Also confused.com's quotes weren't too good either.

Got some details of Sky Insurance from the LOC Gold forums and they gave me a great deal, and they seem quite mod-friendly too (not bothered about minor stuff only about major engine upgrades etc). Another great benefit I've got from LOC :D

Yep Adrian Flux doesn't always work, I remember they quoted me £3000 the last time I called them :o

Admiral have been fine so far, ok they don't actually cover the mods, but at least they don't charge an admin fee each time I add something! :)

It's weird, one of the guys in charge of Sky Insurance (if not the owner) used to be my neighbour, and I had no idea until they moved away (and we got some of their mail by mistake).............he was a Lexus owner too! :lol:

Well, I rang up my insurance company, Direct Line, to tell them about my K&N air filter. They have charged me around £35 (can't remember the exact figure), which includes a £13 admin fee. I explained the filter in detail to them, told them it wasn't an induction kit, might give a 2% bhp increase, if that, but they said that was what I had to pay. And I've only got a few months left on my policy.

Well I'll definitely be switching coming renewal time ! :tsktsk:

Why did you feel it necessary to inform them you put a non OEM air filter in the box? I wouldn't have thought it would be classed as a modification??

Why did you feel it necessary to inform them you put a non OEM air filter in the box? I wouldn't have thought it would be classed as a modification??

Because it's not just a non-OEM filter, in theory it's a high-performance air filter (it says something along those lines on the box).

After an accident, if an inspector checked the car and noticed it (e.g. it was hanging out due to damage), then in theory he could say it was a non-declared performance modification (had I not told them) and then the insurance would be invalidated.

The fact that when I told my insurance company they charged me for it showed that I was "right", i.e. if they had found out later then I could have been in a lot of trouble.

Better safe than sorry.

Because it's not just a non-OEM filter, in theory it's a high-performance air filter (it says something along those lines on the box).

After an accident, if an inspector checked the car and noticed it (e.g. it was hanging out due to damage), then in theory he could say it was a non-declared performance modification (had I not told them) and then the insurance would be invalidated.

The fact that when I told my insurance company they charged me for it showed that I was "right", i.e. if they had found out later then I could have been in a lot of trouble.

Better safe than sorry.

Won't be long before you have to ring your insurance company up to tell them you use Shell Optimax instead of regular unleaded!

Just because your insurance company charges you doesn't necessarily mean they're right - just means they're ripping you off!!! I see where you're coming from though.

Better safe than sorry.

You have obviously told them about your non OEM geometry settings from WIM then???

Better safe than sorry.

You have obviously told them about your non OEM geometry settings from WIM then???

dont need to cos there within the original lexus tolerences

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links