#1 SpokesT

SpokesT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Lexus: IS200

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

I need to sort out the timing belt on my 53k mile 52plate IS200. Ebay reveals timing belt kits consisting of belt, tensioner, idler and water pump for around 200.

I went to Yeomans Toyota, the main dealer in Eastbourne, to see how much more I'd have to pay for genuine branded products (presumably), and was given a quote that went like this when I asked for the price of the necessary gubbins for the job:

Idler 64.59
Drive pump 33.92
Tensioner 61.00
Timing Belt 29.97
Water pump 111.66

VAT inclusive total price of 360.37

I was also asked if I wanted a price for labour, but I couldn't reply for laughing so much...

Or is it me being unreasonable? What say ye?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 steve2006

steve2006

Club Post Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 7,176 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Lexus: LS 400 Celsior Import
  • Year: 1994
Contributor

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

I bought mine from the USA as everything is about half the UK price but you do take a chance on being hit for import duty and VAT, some dealers will give you a discount for being a club member ( I even haggle with mine) or send a PM to AcLex on here who may offer better prices.

#3 scudney

scudney

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Lexus: IS 200 sports navigator

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

I need to sort out the timing belt on my 53k mile 52plate IS200. Ebay reveals timing belt kits consisting of belt, tensioner, idler and water pump for around 200.

I went to Yeomans Toyota, the main dealer in Eastbourne, to see how much more I'd have to pay for genuine branded products (presumably), and was given a quote that went like this when I asked for the price of the necessary gubbins for the job:

Idler 64.59
Drive pump 33.92
Tensioner 61.00
Timing Belt 29.97
Water pump 111.66

VAT inclusive total price of 360.37

I was also asked if I wanted a price for labour, but I couldn't reply for laughing so much...

Or is it me being unreasonable? What say ye?

Hi prices look reasonable,similar to what i paid for mine about 14 months ago.

#4 SpokesT

SpokesT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Why would I not buy this one though? 200 all in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45ef99f597

#5 kenfoxy

kenfoxy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

I would try and get a kit from wherever without the water pump, if there is nothing wrong with it. My IS200 had its timing belt replaced at 6 years and is now nearly 10 years old. Still on original water pump. Get a good independent to fit it. IS200's are well known in the trade, so there should be no problems.

#6 Mr.Rudus

Mr.Rudus

General

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Name: Sir
  • Lexus: IS200 SE AUTO STYLING KIT
  • Year: 2000

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

i would get the original cambelt kit from dealers.
water pump should be fit at 53k.

#7 SparkyMarky

SparkyMarky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Lexus: IS 300

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Why would I not buy this one though? 200 all in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45ef99f597

There is a guy on here (or several) who work for Toyota / Lexus main dealers.
One of them trades on Ebay as Lexusbirm or something similar.Timingbelt and Tensioner-_- ( + the waterpump previously quoted by your east bourne dealer at 111 makes just over the "200 quid mark for genuine toyota parts!!:o

I noted that his parts (genuine) were quite reasonably priced so maybe its worth dropping him a message to see if he can offer competitively priced genuine parts at a more affordable price?
I noticed some original spark plugs he was selling and nearly bought but firstly
I contacted my man at Lexus dealership and he chipped price by few more quid!
Top bloke btw and any Lexus dealership will be happy to post the parts to arrive next day if u pay by card over the phone.
I know this is slightly :offtopic: but maybe it will help in the long run. Definitely phone around.

#8 clossie

clossie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Lexus: IS200 Sportcross

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

I paid just over 120 for the timing belt kit from lexus southend just over 6 months ago. Come fitting i was advised to fit new water pump so i would say look around 200-250 all in.
A quick snoop round eurocarparts and theres a non oem kit for 150 http://www.eurocarpa...iming-belt-kits

#9 SpokesT

SpokesT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

Cheers guys, I go up to Brum fairly often as I am a Bluenose and have lots of family there, I'll give them a nudge and see what's what.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have