Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The 220D can be push started. Well i did when my Battery went flat and had no jump leads to hand.

Guessing the 250 manual would be OK too.

Not sure about the Auto. Having just got one last night it is something i need to read up on from the booklet.

Have you a problem?

You cannot "bump start" an automatic and most engines nowdays won't activate the fuel injectors until the cranking speed is at a minimum RPM so you could be pushing for a long time even on a manual.

Normski, how did you do it? You double press the start button, press the clutch, put into the second gear, get it going and then press the start once? I only have a problem with the head gasket, not the Battery. :D I've just read the question about the starter motor and it got me thinking. :)

Steve, I know about the automatics. I have one and it consumes electricity when parked (don't ask why, I have no idea) :D. I sometimes leave it for months and I have to jump start it all the time. :D

You cannot "bump start" an automatic and most engines nowdays won't activate the fuel injectors until the cranking speed is at a minimum RPM so you could be pushing for a long time even on a manual.

I have always been told and also read in vehicle handbooks that an auto can't be push/tow started, however I do remember towstarting my XJ6 auto on a long rope in the late '70s. Not sure if it is still possible but certainly NOT a good idea.

Dave, that's very interesting. :D What was the procedure? Just put it into D and tow it or something else? :D

Not sure if I had it in "N" and dropped to "D" or had it in "D" to begin with. I know I had it towed by an FG bread van! When it fired it really jumped forward which we anticipated so put a long rope on. Not reccomended!

briatore

if you leave your car for a long time without starting, may be you can think of buying a car solar charger (about £20) . A friend of mine has one and places it on top of his nissan almera's dash and plugs it into the 12v car charger. I think he had to bypass the relay on the car charger circuit so it was always connected to the Battery 12v even when the car was off

Shepherd, thanks a lot. I keep the car in a garage though, so it wouldn't help, but it's a great idea.

What I do is disconnect the battery, but then it resets everything, so it's a less than perfect solution :)

The solar panel I bought from maplins costing about £20 has a long lead on it.

I am able to garage my car nd hook the lead over the top of the door. I used some duck te to fix the panel to the top of my door.

The lead allows you to crocodile clip to your Battery terminals or there is a cigarette lighter p,ug that charges through the socket.

Not shore he that works but it does.

And the manual will definitely bump start as I had to do it the other day. All dash lights on, button push twice then once you have a bit of speed drop the clutch. It's no different to any other car I have jumped.

Carl

I can vividly remember helping in push starting an automatic Honda Accord in 2006. Don't remember how it worked because I was at the pushing end. I do however remember that the car had the traditional D1, D2, D3 kind of automatic transmission.

Push starting an automatic is possible. The IS250 probably not.

Actually, I have misled you a bit...sorry, It was more of a "bump start" scenario. My front drive is 20 yard slope so I had put the ignition on, selected third gear (I think) and dropped the clutch back in just before the end of the slope and away she went. Not icey but it was a sudden cold morning and alerted me to my need for a new Battery...which I got straight away.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links