Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 Loud Bang Back Suspension

pedroorange

Hi there

2 days ago the ride height at the back went very high and stayed. I never really drove it after this as it was very bumpy, however needed to get to work today. The drive initially was not too bad, quite smooth even although very high, then nearer my work i heard the compressor going and it got much more bumpy and bouncy. Then a loud bang from the back.

Both back sides now look like they are touching the top of the tyres. I take it i have blown an air strut?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, yes i replaced the OSR strut and the bag was completely blown. Everything went very smoothly with the refit and the operation. When the sides were measured the difference in height at each side was about 5mm.

The actual arm of the sensor and not the sensor itself had seized. The original airbag and the sensor were fine so advice would be never drive the car after it goes to the highest position at the back even if the ride is not too bad.

The next issue is that when the car is then switched off, in the next few hours, the previously offending side drops back down to the blown position. The back nearside and both front stay. The front suspension does seem high also but will move up more when the hi height button is pressed.

The compressor does not come on continually when the car is started and stops after leveling. The bag was checked before fitting. And the Check VSC light always comes on, which never happened even when the shock blew. or when i was driving it to the garage.

Has anyone had this problem before? Again any advice is greatly appreciated

If the replacement strut is falling when stood overnight I would be rechecking for air line leaks ( was it a new strut of used) the VSC light comes on on the late LS400 if the Battery is disconnected for some time but generally goes out after a few drives.

If the replacement strut is falling when stood overnight I would be rechecking for air line leaks ( was it a new strut of used) the VSC light comes on on the late LS400 if the battery is disconnected for some time but generally goes out after a few drives.

Thanks, its is a used strut, checked first and all looked ok. The VSC only started coming on after a fault code reader was attached during the replacement.

Did you know you can take the sensors apart to clean them? It's water ingress that messes them up, so cleaning them internally, and possibly putting a small amount of sealant on the casing before they go back together wouldn't be a bad idea. It was too late for me as I had to replace one a few months ago, and I think the other side may need doing as well. I think lubricating the linkage should be a service requirement.

Interestingly, on the American forums there's much talk about "the lean" It seems that many LS430's especially early ones have a lean on one corner, my rear near side is about 20mm lower than the off side, but there's no loss of air.

It seems to me that if one of these cars came up for a good price, with good history, it would be worth changing the shocks for coils, maybe getting the rear AC pipes replaced, and fitting a transmission cooler (I have one on order for delivery next week) it would then be a car that should last for years with no more problems than an LS400. It would cost a fair bit initially but may work out to be a good investment, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Apparently the air suspension still lasts longer than Mercedes and Audi, according to the US owners that is.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links