Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

400H Rattling In Roof

Hi guys,

Had an annoying rattle in my roof for the past few months and need to figure out what is it.

It sounds like metal on metal. Doesn't make the noise constantly, only with certain movement of the car. Not sure if its moon roof relating. Has anybody an ideas or experience of what it could be???

Also, on a separate issue, is it just a quirk or the car that the leather seats in the back constantly squeak when driving? Nobody in the back and they are noisy seats :)

Ste

My wife's RX has slightly squeaky seats too.

On mine I use Liquid Leather ( or similar ) to keep them supple...

And then turn the radio on!

I thought I had a rattle in the roof too but it was actually the air suspension bearing. Not that that's a problem with the RX400H but my point is that a noise that sounds like it's from the roof could be from somewhere entirely different.

• 1 month later...

OK, so my roof still rattles a little and I have something else new......

I took the car through a car wash (I know, but i was in a rush) and I had the moon roof cover open (moon roof was shut). I could visibly see water entering the car!!! There were lots of water droplets coming in from outside into the cavity in the roof. No idea where the water goes - it doesn't make it inside the car, just into the cavity. I found this odd to watch.

Anyone else noticed this, or any ideas what going on????

Maybe drive with someone in the back/front, who can listen out, push and press things and generally investigate?

I'd love to know what causes that squeak. It can't be anything major.

I think it is just the leather on leather where the armrest sits in the recess that makes the squeek.

• Like 1

In terms of noises, I have most of the obvious.

Skeaky armrest in the back.

Noisy parcel shelf which can be locked.

Then upholder in the front centre also rattles a bit, but that can just be removed.

My noise is a metal on metal noise coming from around the moon roof area for sure. Teamed with the water ingress between the roof and roof lining. Odd one!!

Maybe drive with someone in the back/front, who can listen out, push and press things and generally investigate?

I did this and like Andy said it seemed to be the leather on leather

I may get some thin cloth and cover the armrest (lens cloth type material) to see what happens.

Sorry Steven, surely you must be able to see something amiss around the sunroof seal ?

Agree.

Is one of those sunroof reset's of use?

• Like 1

Ive had a look and there is nothing untoward I can see.

There is no water damage or anything like that. I assume that when the water enters the the space between the roof and the roof lining, that it channels away and drains out somewhere. Or, I have a problem.

If anyone takes there car though a car wash, could they pull back the moon roof cover (keep the moon roof shut) and watch for any drips of water.

• Like 1

Sorry Steven, surely you must be able to see something amiss around the sunroof seal ?

Agree.

Is one of those sunroof reset's of use?

You have a good point piers ... worth a go, press and hold the roof open button it should cycle through all the motions, and reset everything.... also could the rattle be from a loose roof rail or something floating about under the track seal ? ... if not I would strip out the interior light fitting & check the roof motor fixings etc ...

Ive had a look and there is nothing untoward I can see.

There is no water damage or anything like that. I assume that when the water enters the the space between the roof and the roof lining, that it channels away and drains out somewhere. Or, I have a problem.

If anyone takes there car though a car wash, could they pull back the moon roof cover (keep the moon roof shut) and watch for any drips of water.

Mines bone dry... no drips at all, I check regularly ...

Have had an annoying sqeak/rattle for a while and suspected it was leather rubbing against leather, until I eventually worked out that it came from the top of the passenger window. If I open the window just a fraction, the noise stops. It's obviously the glass rubbing against the trim.

Can anyone suggest what I could use to make it stop? - I have tried silicone, but that has not really helped...

Have had an annoying sqeak/rattle for a while and suspected it was leather rubbing against leather, until I eventually worked out that it came from the top of the passenger window. If I open the window just a fraction, the noise stops. It's obviously the glass rubbing against the trim.

Can anyone suggest what I could use to make it stop? - I have tried silicone, but that has not really helped...

Is there something else there as well? Dead insects? Ladybirds? ( Found one in my trim today )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links