Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Fire Engine!

I didn't think it was illegal I was wondering why the fire service if that is who owns it needs to spend out so much money on a car like that when perhaps a van would be able to deliver you and whatever equipment needed much cheaper. Mike.

I didn't think it was illegal I was wondering why the fire service if that is who owns it needs to spend out so much money on a car like that when perhaps a van would be able to deliver you and whatever equipment needed much cheaper. Mike.

Wonder if they have one of these in Devon and Somerset, shouldn't think so though, surely they couldn't afford one of those AND to give the Big Chief a 6% salary increase!!

Well I am glad you asked! The fact is the Service hasn't gone out and bought it at all. All officers vehicles are leased. They actually provide an allowance which is based upon a base vehicle - a Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI. They do however understand the impractical nature of running a business and private car for the individual so they allow it to be used for private use too and everyone has different needs as I am sure you can appreciate. They allow you to get something other than the base vehicle but any additional cost is met by the individual - the cost to the service doesn't change at all. The Chief also individually approves each vehicle meaning you have to make the case for it if you want something a little different - this stops people getting sports cars/convertibles and such like.

The service I work for is very small and is run in an extremely lean and efficient way. If they had gone out and bought pool cars and had them marked etc it would actually be more difficult to manage (taking into account shift patterns/change overs/reliefs/officer's geographical locations) and potentially more expensive as the overall costs would be at least as high.

Public perception is very important as, we are a public service after all, but that perception is sometimes based on incorrect assumptions. I can assure you however, this is the most effective way to manage the officer fleet at the moment and the tax payer is getting the absolute best value it can. I won't go on further due to the increasing political nature of the discussion but suffice to say I liked my CT (private) so much it kept me with the brand for this vehicle and I am very much looking to the next three years with it. If anyone wishes to discuss further I would be more than happy to answer questions!!

As for Devon's CFO getting a big rise? No idea, their pay is set differently to the 'troops' but I am sure he has a nice car! Maybe the rise will let him buy his own LS?

As with 'my' IS300H 'perception' of supposed 'ownship' is different from reality. Effectively being a company rep my employers best and simplest choice for sourcing vehicles is to contract hire them for 3 years. Fixed monthly expenditure except for fuel and not worrying about a depreciating asset allows us to concentrate on 'business' rather than fleet matters. My colleauges have a mix of Passat, One Series (as I used to have) and Audi A3. We have a monthly figure for contract hire. Obviously, despite the relatively high purchase cost of the Lexus (compared with other choices) there must be good deals/good residual values/maintenance costs for the contract hirer. In 'perception' terms the IS300H 'punches above its weight' - customers and clients believe is that we are a forward thinking company and utilising green and 'cutting edge' vehicles. For me ? - I get a classy car that is tax efficient that has most options I would want as standard all for a similar cost to a Passat or Mondeo - no contest really!

All emergency services vehicles are leased out. After about 3 years they go into auction. The emergency services vehicles are the worst vehicles to purchase, always trashed out, parts broken. You can pick up a 2010 Skoda Octavia with about 80k miles as a police car for £400 but dont expect it to make it home.

It is true that some emergency vehicles get a hard time and I certainly wouldn't touch an ex-patrol car with a barge pole but in our case it is also the car you take the family away in (or whatever) so I think they would be in better condition than you might expect.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links