Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed - Any Lawyers In The Club :)

DeanMoreland

Dear All, I wonder if any club members could provide any tips/advice/pointers on what to do with regards to an insurance repair, and further to this, complete rectification of the repair which has dragged on for 8 months now. In short my car (IS200 99' V) has been in the hands of my insurance company (apart from when they delivered it back to me in an unsatisfactory state about 10 times) since mid-May 2003. Two days back I get the car back once again - to find the steering wheel vibrating, vibration through the gearbox and a rotational whirring noise coming from the near side of the car despite it just coming out of a Lexus garage and a new MOT being issued on the vehicle (courtesy of the insurance company).

Is the IS prone to any vibration through the gearbox, steering wheel, gear box or the body of the car - not severe - but noted and felt by driver and passenger?.

Should I accept the car back? Do I have any rights in not accepting delivery of the vehicle?

When the insurance company seen to be plodding on at a snails pace how does one put pressure on them? is a solicitor the only option?

Many thanks for any advice in advance - Deano

I've actually noticed that my gearbox shakes a bit when I drive. Normally its the leather rubbing against the shaft itself (now now boys!) but now you mention your problem, I wonder if I should get it checked out?

With regards to your problem - you should stick to your guns and change your insurance provider at the earliest opportunity!

Hmm.. tricky. The best course of action I can suggest is:

1) Write to your insurance company ASAP and inform them that you are not satisfied with the standard of repair.

2) Get the vehicle checked by the AA/RAC or other reputable organisation. Tell them all the details (accident and past dealings) and get a full report on the condition of the vehicle. (You should be able to claim the fee back from the company)

3) Send a copy of the report to the insurance company and inform them that you expect a response within 14 days.

4) If you still get no satisfaction, you could resort to media pressure (e.g. What Car? or Watchdog).This can often be more effective than the threat of legal action. Mind you, the AA or RAC could help in this area too...

The main thing is to inform your insurance company as soon as possible that you are unhappy with the vehicle in its current state.

HTH

sounds bad, how about naming and shaming the insurance company so we can all watch out?

Anyway, you could try to take it to another lexus dealer, get them to look over it and advise one work involved and cost, then use this as ammo back to the ins. company.

Good luck

Cheers Guys - The Accident Managment Company (i think this is one of the main problems) and the Insurance company are very much aware of my concerns - I have had the general manager and Chief Engineer come out to my house as a courtesy visit on a couple of occasions - but still the car comes back time and time again with faults.

Got another engineer coming out this afternoon (he is 2 hours late already!) and an AA Inspection booked for next week.

Will let you know how this goes - before moving ahead with some of your suggestions.

Thanks, Deano

The Insurance Engineers finally gave up on trying to repair my much loved IS200 - and decided to pay the market value price to my finance company...just got news today. So at least my troubles have ended - but now I gotta go look for a new motor. Thanks for your advice guys - I used some of your suggestions to put a bit of pressure on them :) Cheers, Deano

The Insurance Engineers finally gave up on trying to repair my much loved IS200 - and decided to pay the market value price to my finance company..

congratulations Dean - well done mate!!

I had a similar experience, fighting my insurance company for three months to get my 7 week old IS written off, rather than have 12k of work done to it - so I know how you feel having finally gotten the result you wanted B)

think you should name and shame the company though

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links