Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rotational noise - Steering wheel NX300h

Hello guys!

I noticed the steering wheel produces a strange noise while I rotate it, is it normal / common on this model or also generally speaking for Lexus&Toyotas?

See video attached !

Or maybe there is something going wrong here?

Let me know your opinion, thanks! 

Is that not just the sound of the tyres turning whilst the car is stationary and  transmitted through the steering? Do you notice the same when the car is in motion?

3 hours ago, Ken R said:

Is that not just the sound of the tyres turning whilst the car is stationary and  transmitted through the steering? Do you notice the same when the car is in motion?

Hi Ken!

I cannot hear the noise while I’m driving, as with the wind and engine sound it’s a bit tricky.

That’s why I’d like to get your feedbacks as you can see if the you have the same noise at stop.

Let me know, thanks! 

Sounds like one of your CV joints is on the way out.

front wheel drive, you are likely hearing a failing half shaft on on side of the car or the other. The creaking and clicking comes from the worn out components of one or the other CV joints on the half shaft which connects the transaxle to the front wheels

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Sounds like one of your CV joints is on the way out.

front wheel drive, you are likely hearing a failing half shaft on on side of the car or the other. The creaking and clicking comes from the worn out components of one or the other CV joints on the half shaft which connects the transaxle to the front wheels

Hi!

That’s an interesting feedback, do you know if it can be solved under Lexus warranty?

3 hours ago, andrew-amazing said:

Hi!

That’s an interesting feedback, do you know if it can be solved under Lexus warranty?

I wouldn't know, best ask Lexus.
But, I doubt it, as they are a wear & tear part on a 6 year old car, also depends on mileage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

I wouldn't know, best ask Lexus.
But, I doubt it, as they are a wear & tear part on a 6 year old car, also depends on mileage.

Is it something that fails commonly after many years? 

10 hours ago, andrew-amazing said:

Hi!

I think it should be. Its very unusual for Toyota axles to fail like this. Maybe open the window turn the wheel completely to one side and drive the car slowly on full lock if it clicks and pops then ita most likely your axle has failed.

It seems like the noise comes from the steering wheel and not from the tyres or suspension, I don’t hear any sound when turning at full lock. If I rotate it quicker I feel it louder, if rotated slowly I can barely hear it 

4 hours ago, Notamech said:

I think it should be. Its very unusual for Toyota axles to fail like this. Maybe open the window turn the wheel completely to one side and drive the car slowly on full lock if it clicks and pops then ita most likely your axle has failed.

20 hours ago, Ken R said:

Very Much Sounds like a Worn CV Joint To Me Ken.. Pretty unusual problem Though..My Best Opinion.!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andrew-amazing said:

It seems like the noise comes from the steering wheel and not from the tyres or suspension, I don’t hear any sound when turning at full lock. If I rotate it quicker I feel it louder, if rotated slowly I can barely hear it 

Steering wheels dont make that sound normally. Maybe check to see if something is fouling between the steering and dash i.e change the position of the steering wheel if its that you should not hear the sound after changing the position. Else its better to get the dealer to investigate. From what i understand even though you might want to claim warranty they charge an hour or so of labour to diagnose the fault and if there is no fault you have to pay else if there is a fault and you're covered then they sort it out with the warranty without you having to pay

• Like 3

My RX450h has started making a similar sound, just the last couple of days. Only noticeable at slow speed, manoeuvring onto the driveway, parking etc..

My initial thoughts are a dry rubber bush or gaiter. I know the Merc I had sometimes suffered from this and it was the sound insulating bushing as the steering column  passes through the bulkhead.

The car is due a service soon and I'll get the dealer to sort it as it's not that irritating and  I'm sure they have come across it many times before and will know exactly what to apply and where.

• Like 1

I tried to change the steering wheel position but the sound is still there.

It’s like there is something clacking behind the steering wheel, doesn’t seem from the wheels or suspensions 

1 hour ago, andrew-amazing said:

I tried to change the steering wheel position but the sound is still there.

It’s like there is something clacking behind the steering wheel, doesn’t seem from the wheels or suspensions 

Honestly given its a lexus i feel like the odds of it being something simple are quite high. As someone above suggested it could just be the steering shaft or components on or around the shaft rubbing against something. But on the flip side it could be anything from CV joints to steering or suspension components failing too. I would recommend getting it investigated as whatever it is its definitely not normal.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links