Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Big Bill For Aircon Pipe Repair

Hi

The aircon on our RX400h (08) stopped working and has been diagnosed as a fractured pipe. They said that the whole hybrid system has to be removed to get to it so it's a big job, which will take 3 hours, with a chunky labour bill to go with it.

Does that seem reasonable? It's a Lexus dealership so I am fairly comfortable that they're not ripping us off, but just wanted to double check what others had seen.

Cheers

Hi!

Is there no way to extend the warranty with Lexus in such a way that is covered?

Does sound very odd that the pipe fractured, usually if a pipe is run somewhere vibration is an issue, it is insulated at the bracket or with flexible sections.

See if you can get the part number of the pipe from Lex- it's usually 10digits long. If it ends with a "1" or higher, then that part was redesigned by them to fix known/reported issues!

The Non-hybrid RX's had exactly this issue with the automatic gearbox cooler pipes, where due to improper insulation, the pipes would fracture and corrode. The newer revision part came with new fixing bolts and anti-vibration rubber grommets/washers!

Sneaky but true!!

• Like 2

Maybe ring around to get a second opinion/quote?

Yeah we might do that. The problem is that we'd have to take it in again which is time consuming, a phone conversation along the lines of "how much would it cost to fix our broken aircon" probably wouldn't be too productive.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll try to get the part number too. Good tip.

Hi Colin,

No I didn't mean fraud, I thought some members were able to take out the Lexus Extended Warranty, then put a claim in during a situation like Choddo mentioned assuming car was at Lex dealer when enquiring if the above is possible...? Maybe I dreamed it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links