Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs430 Sport - Any Local Owners In Kent / Sussex / Se London

Hi, i've been researching buying a GS430 for several months now but haven't yet found a Sport model on a forecourt locally to look at in more detail - where i won't be wasting the time of the private seller / street dealer.

Any chance that there are some 430 Sport owners in the Kent/Sussex/SE London area that might be willing to show me round their car, so i can get a better appreciation for the real diffferences between Sport and SE and pre/post 2003 models. Is there a regular club meet that 430 owners attend in the SouthEast?

I presume that most cars hitting 100k + are going to need shocks, springs and other suspension parts anyway - but i'm worried that the uprated ARBs really make the key difference and will be expensive/difficult to source. So it's really to see whether a 2003/04 Sport has a combined package 10 years on that still make it worth waiting for over say a 2001 SE.

Hope that makes some sense - look forward to hearing from anyone willing to spare some time, either week-end, daytime (if i'm free) or after work to suit you.

- just out of interest - as i'm not over keen on the standard Sport front/rear spoiler set, but love the look of the replica JP 3 piece rear spoilers - are these really as expensive/hard to find in the UK as they appear?

Thanks,

Richard

A bit farther afield than your list, and an older car, but if your around the Surrey/Hampshire border or M3 corridor any time, I'm happy to show you around my 2001 Sport in Basingstoke.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Thanks for that offer - i occasionally work over in the Reading area, so i'll see if that is likely soon and may be in contact. The '01 Sport just has the UK dealer uprated springs & shocks rather than the ARBs too - or have i got that wrong?

I know the '03-04 Sport 430 numbers must be fairly low - be interesting to see if there are any locally.

Not entirely sure about the feature differences to be honest. As I understand it, early "Sports" didn't have lowered suspension at all, where as the later ones did (something to do with the "Sport" model being dropped but then officially taken back up in 2003). I'm not aware of uprated shocks though, just that the springs were lower (25mm all round). Never heard of the uprated arb. I'm also not sure if there was ever a "factory" sport so to speak (i.e. went on the boat in Japan as a Sport), only that they were a dealer fit (once off the boat). Whilst I know that to be the case for sure with the mk1, not entirely sure of that for the mk2.

Part numbers seem different from 2001 and 2003 for shocks and springs, but that doesn't seem to be related to the "Sport" models, just the 430 in general. No difference in arb part numbers between years.

Mine is lowered on GMax springs anyway.

Not entirely sure about the feature differences to be honest. As I understand it, early "Sports" didn't have lowered suspension at all, where as the later ones did (something to do with the "Sport" model being dropped but then officially taken back up in 2003). I'm not aware of uprated shocks though, just that the springs were lower (25mm all round). Never heard of the uprated arb. I'm also not sure if there was ever a "factory" sport so to speak (i.e. went on the boat in Japan as a Sport), only that they were a dealer fit (once off the boat). Whilst I know that to be the case for sure with the mk1, not entirely sure of that for the mk2.

Part numbers seem different from 2001 and 2003 for shocks and springs, but that doesn't seem to be related to the "Sport" models, just the 430 in general. No difference in arb part numbers between years.

Mine is lowered on GMax springs anyway.

I don't know if this might help?

http://media.toyota.co.uk/2003/07/the-new-lexus-gs300-and-gs430-sport/

Had a 2001 430 sport and the 2003/4 one and the 2003 one definitely drove differently to the 2001 version as it felt tighter through corners. Sure the 2001 was lowered as well but can't remember. However as tigerfish says he has his on different springs so likely better than either of them! Should add, if you do find an 03/04 one the only 'official' GS430 sport colours were black, silver and canterbury blue.

I don't think the 2001 model was lowered. It rode so poorly on the 1999 Sport suspension they kept it all standard whilst they upgraded the shocks and roll bars to deliver a more complete solution rather than just slapping on some lowered/stiffer Eibach springs.

I don't think the 2001 model was lowered. It rode so poorly on the 1999 Sport suspension they kept it all standard whilst they upgraded the shocks and roll bars to deliver a more complete solution rather than just slapping on some lowered/stiffer Eibach springs.

I can't find any part numbers for updated shocks and arb, do you know what the numbers are? Or who made them?

Lexus GB commissioned the sport using TTE, this isn't a TRD development.

TTE did favour Eibach for their suspension components so I'd imagine they are involved. I'm assuming the parts are shown on the official EPC in the UK but things like toyodiy.com don't so up the parts because they aren't factory fit items, just country specific.

Yeah, might pop in and have a chat (although not Lexus probably, only Toyota in Basingstoke). Unless they have back stock though, I doubt there'll be any joy from the TTE avenue. Not interested in the springs/shocks, but would be keen on the arb .

I noticed that there was an aftermarket ARB from *bay stateside getting positive feedback on the clublexus.com forum (am i allowed to mention them?!) - seemed a reasonable price too, until you added interntional shipping. I'll see if i can find the link again.

Owners replacing the ARB on pre-2003 cars seemed to really rate the improvement, but i assume that if the 2003 UK model changes were done here rather than in Japan then the US cars would still be stock post 2003.

Anyway, thanks for all that useful info - still trying to find a local 2003 Sport owner though....... A seemingly nice low mileage one sold locally just as i started looking and it was too soon for me to go for it, but i assume it left the area.

I presume that most cars hitting 100k + are going to need shocks, springs and other suspension parts anyway - but i'm worried that the uprated ARBs really make the key difference and will be expensive/difficult to source. So it's really to see whether a 2003/04 Sport has a combined package 10 years on that still make it worth waiting for over say a 2001 SE.

not sure how much a better handler the uprated ARB's makes to the 03/04 models when compared to the early models? I am sure you could fit after market ARB's to ealier models and they will handle just as well as the 03/04 models?

after coming from an IS300 with 18'' wheels and sport suspension, i am glad i went for the SE GS430 over the sport i still like the looks of the sport models but 95% of the time the ride is better when compared to my IS300. during the occasional sprited i can feel the GS is a bit all over the place during cornering but i suppose that could be improved with stiffer side wall tyres mayvbe 18'' wheels and fitting anti roll bar or lowering the ride height slightly but this might spoil the overall ride where 95% of my driving is done.

My late 2002 GS430 SENav has the 18" sport wheels fitted from new with 245/40/18 tyres but SE suspension and it has never really felt "all over the place" when cornering. It handles extremely well. Running Avon ZZ5 front, but about to replace as they are getting low on tread, and Capitol Eco 7 on rear.....which are excellent. Handling may be down to tyres or pressures.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links