Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Xedos6 Vs Is200

I'm sticking my head out here. ;)

I'm a happy Xedos6 and I reckon the IS200/IS300 as a really great car.

I'm always considering alternatives to my car even though I'll probarly keep my car some more.

I find the two cars pretty similar in many points.

Some points speaking for changing to an IS200 is:

1. Rwd.

2. 6 step gear box

3. Afterparts marked.

4. The engine in the IS300.

Points for keeping my Xedos.

1. power/weight ratio better on the Xedos.

2. Had no problems at all the last three years.

3. the Xedos6 is a rare car.

4. The IS300 only comes with automatic gear box in Europe.

Any points/opinions you want to fill in?

//Stianf :ph34r:

What year/model of Xedos 6 do you have?

I've never driven a Xedos, but have been a passenger in a mates one a few times. The 2.0V6 sounds sweet enough, although I'm not aware the car was significantly quicker than an IS200, what's the bhp/torque of the Xedos? The only other thing I really noticed was the interior being very, well errr 'Mazda' and the boot not being that big for the size of car.

The IS is a beautifully put together car whether you're looking at the 200 or the 300, and both are still (thankfully) pretty uncommon on British roads. Yes, the European 300 does only come as an auto, but it's an excellent auto box and of course you can drive it as a semi-auto of sorts. Rear-wheel drive I guess is more dynamic and involving, and ultimately more rewarding for the enthusiastic driver (not that I consider myself any sort of expert). Also for the most part, Lexus dealers are among the best in the UK which counts for a lot in the overall ownership experience.

But I reckon the jewel in the crown for the Lexus IS, in fact any Lexus, is what you're looking at right now.... L.O.C. The best owners club bar none (not that I'm biased you understand) :winky: :D

What year/model of Xedos 6 do you have?

I've never driven a Xedos, but have been a passenger in a mates one a few times. The 2.0V6 sounds sweet enough, although I'm not aware the car was significantly quicker than an IS200, what's the bhp/torque of the Xedos? The only other thing I really noticed was the interior being very, well errr 'Mazda' and the boot not being that big for the size of car.

I got an '97 2.0 manual.

I will not say that the Xedos6 is quicker than the Is200, but that the Is200 is not much quicker than the Xedos6. ;)

Max. Output (kW/rpm) : 104/6000

Max. Torque (N · m/rpm) 170/5000

Not as strong as the Is200 but the 200kg less in weight makes a difference.

The interior design can be a little dull compared to the IS200. The interior of Xedos6 did almost not change during the years it was produced (92-99)

Hi,

I have an is200 as well as a xedos6.

I consider the 6 as the high quality /luxury car. It is more silent and has more luxury (seat heating, atm) where the luxury can be available in more expensive is200's and is default in the is300.

Advantage of xedos:

No problems at all for already 10 years. My is200 had a stuck cd changer, jutter in clutch, unstable idle speed.

Engine of the xedos6 sounds more smooth than the is200.

Advantage of is200: On the road like a train on rails. The xedos can absolutely not tip the cornering capabilities of the is200.

Advantage of is200: On the road like a train on rails. The xedos can absolutely not tip the cornering capabilities of the is200.

You do have orginal suspension on both the 6 and the 200?

I did put eibach springs and Red Koni's(modified for harder rebound) on my Xedos6 so now I'm pretty pleased with the handling.

yes everything original on both cars.

I always think: Why try to improve the highly educated engineers and sofisticated simulation programs that made the car.

If you modify stufff there is always a down side.

And if you really improve the quality of some parts used then maybe a different more expensive car suits even better.

I don't know anything about the xedos and have not even seen the interior of one, but i remember when it was released, it was a fantastic looking car and in many ways it still is.

In my opinion, they should have released xedos as a separate brand (like lexus) rather than badge it mazda cos i think both the 6 and 9 were pretty good cars

I always think: Why try to improve the highly educated engineers and sofisticated simulation programs that made the car.

If you modify stufff there is always a down side.

And if you really improve the quality of some parts used then maybe a different more expensive car suits even better.

My understanding is that many cars are designed and built well within certain tolerances for things like economy, reliability and even marketability. For example, the stock UK IS200 features a 24v straight-six designed to produce 153bhp and return 28mpg or so. My guess is that Lexus settled on those figures as a happy medium, i.e. they could have easily tuned it to produce 200bhp and only return 24mpg, but arguably that wouldn't have fitted their marketing plans, or would have adversely affected sales :winky:

I guess the point is that the IS200 designers left room for improvement for those individuals that want it. Yes the downside of more bhp is less mpg, but that's a choice some people make. I don't think reliability is an issue as I believe that on the continent, supercharged IS200's are still warranty'd.

I can't speak for the guys here who have modified their IS's, but I'd guess that they get a kick out of doing it, rather than buying a more expensive/powerful car to get the same result? :unsure:

I've just finished watching Top Gear GTi on UK Horizons. (1999)

There was a review of the Exedos6 and they said they are just trying to compete and be like an Alfa Romeo.

Only problem is the top of the range still only has a 4 cylinder engine in it, while most top of the range Alfa's have V6.

They also said, the only car to come from Japan that has any credability in the executive market is the Lexus. Nuff Said. :shutit:

They also said, the only car to come from Japan that has any credability in the executive market is the Lexus.  Nuff Said.  :shutit:

That was 1999, Mazda had the biggest growth in % terms in 2003

Enough said :shutit:

I can't speak for the guys here who have modified their IS's, but I'd guess that they get a kick out of doing it, rather than buying a more expensive/powerful car to get the same result? :unsure:

Spot on in my case mate........ :D

Having had a 323F with a Xedos6 engine in it, I have to disagree with 2 things:

@Jock: The top of the line Xedos6 is not a 4-cylinder, but a 2 litre V6 (Did Top-Gear say otherwise?)

@jkru: The Mazda 2.0i V6 is one of the smoothest V6-es I know (as is the 1.8 from the MX-3), but an inline Six is a tad smoother (by design).

An article on the Mazda K-series V6 engines: Click Me

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Guest mark_tsang
In my opinion, they should have released xedos as a separate brand (like lexus) rather than badge it mazda cos i think both the 6 and 9 were pretty good cars

there was....in far east/australia, named Eunos, name now been dropped. xedos 6 aka Eunos 500 & xedos 9 aka Eunos 800.

Guest mark_tsang

there was....in far east/australia, named Eunos, name now been dropped. xedos 6 aka Eunos 500 & xedos 9 aka Eunos 800.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links