Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As of about a week ago the head lights started acting funny, some would turn on some wont, all of a sudden they would turn on. then it became an issue with them on top of that turning off by themselves. id have to turn them off and on and they would come on. sometimes they'd stay stuck on high beam other times they would work normally, and not always all on. Then today i went t the super market, about 1miles from home, after leaving the super market and turning the car on the steering wheel was really really REALLY hard, all lights on dash board indicating all problems were all on, nav/radio off and unable to it back turn on. Since it was late i drove straight home and parked the car in my driveway. A few hours later after doing a little research on this very helpful site i decided to go down and check on the fuse box. Before doing so however I opened the car and attempted* to turn it on.
~ The car wont start, head lights come on, the dash board seems to think is on because when i got out it beeped and displayed the key is not near message. it just clicks and makes a few weird noises but the engine doesnt turn.. Please help!! I should mention live in Dominican Republic, so a dealership is not an option and going to a mechanic not knowing myself whats wrong is like asking for them to take my money and possibly make things worst. i purchased this car about 2 months ago and everything was fine until last week. please help!!

Firstly i would've said dodgy wiring as in some may have corroded/water got in etc but the last part of your message said the car now doesn't start.

Do have a multimeter? if so thats quick way to check what volts the Battery currently has, i think 12.4 and up is good, anything below is not so good so long as its not lower than 11.5 (i think), when the car is running it should about 14.X

You can try charge up the Battery overnight and see if the car starts but sounds like its not going to recover so best a new Battery. On my old car the Battery died suddenly and even charging overnight the car wouldn't start (it would turn over tho but this flooded the spark plugs!).

I agree

The clicking thing would seem to indicate the Battery has had it.

Thats the first thing i'd look at.Especially as it's potentially 8 yrs old.

While your at it get a couple of spares for your key fob. Easily got from eBay. As you've only just taken ownership you're not going to know how old the fob batteries are. Pop a sticker in there with a date on it then you always know the facts. The fob Battery will last typically a couple of years

• Like 1

The key fob Battery when its low, the car will tell you (though dont rely on it!).

Its cheap to get the Battery from eBay, had my service done recently and Lexus charged me £8 for the Battery when i got it for under £2 on eBay. I had club discount and they threw in a free pollen filter

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links