Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

I am new to posting to forums, so here goes my first try.

Just bought a LS430 about a month ago, silver outside with black leather inside. It is a 2005 plate with 80k on it and it replaces 61plate BMW 5 series estate.

Positives

Fast, quiet, smooth, gadgets

Negatives

Fuel, steering feel, looks

So far everything is working on the Lexus and I am enjoying the new car.

I had to get cambelt and water pump changed after buying so hopefully I am good to go for another 100k miles.

Look forward to reading other owner experiences.

Happy motoring

[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your purchase. Never driven a 430 but the steering on the 400 is ultra-light. After a while you get used to it feeling like the wheels are turning on sheet ice.

hi

chas had mine for over 3 years.

i actually went from a 400 to 430 and had other gripes about it - mainly cabin noise and road feel - which took a while to get used

other than that i have been very happy with it and (touchwood) nothing has gone wrong with it - only needed yearly servicing.

Thanks both. I was a little scared about buying it, especially as all the electric gadgets are now 10 years old, air suspension, etc etc but I thought if any manufacturer could pull it off... It was going to be Lexus !!

The big V8 just seems to power itself with only small dabs on the throttle once it's moving, all that inertia I guess.

Only thing I don't like is the Bluetooth connection as it can be intermittent. The sat nav is dated and okay but I just use my phone to be honest.

My kids love the heated and massage seats in the back so I just need to keep it long enough until they can chauffeur me and I can relax like lord Chas.

Congrats on your purchase. Had mine now 19 months, had 59k on clock when I bought it, now done 74k. Apart from servicing, and same as you replaced waterpump and cambelt straightaway, the only failure has been a wheel bearing.

The ride is just incredible for such an old car, which was way ahead if its time. It somehow feels like it will go forever......I hope so!!

Going to put a new rad on next service, so avoid gearbox oil contamination.

Enjoy your wonderful purchase like the rest of us.

Rgds,

Roger

Is there a recommended time /interval to change the radiator ? Or a way to check it needs changing ?

Or can it be cleaned out with cleaning chemicals ?

hi

i have not come across a change interval - the main reason it fails is corrosion around the connectors for the transmission fluid resulting in coolant getting into the gearbox.

it was recommended on the forum here to use the correct lexus red coolant to prevent the problem but there is no bonifide proof that aftermarket coolant causes the problem.

have a read here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/101246-ls430-this-is-where-the-gearbox-problems-begin/

Mine is still on the original radiator and i do check the coolant color from time to time.

at least 2 members on this forum have fitted separate aftermarket transmission fluid coolers to prevent the problem altogether.

have a read here where the same person has fitted one:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/100085-for-you-ls430-owners-gear-box-cooler-fitted-today/

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being one of those who fitted a cooler, I realised afterwards that it would have been so much easier to just fit a new radiator, so that's what I did in the end. The new rad is about £90 and is a doddle to fit. It also means you can refill with new Toyota coolant at the same time. The transmission cooler inside the radiator was in perfect condition being aluminium swimming in coolant. The problem as Mark says is the unions where the transmission fluid pipes join the radiator, they corrode and allow water into the transmission causing it to become kaput. Mine were OK-ish but were certainly going very rusty. If I eventually find another LS430 it's one of the first jobs I'll do. The whole job done for about £115 and an hours work=piece of mind.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links