Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Hot/Warm starting problem

2009 148bhp IS220D - starts fine when cold but just turns over when hot/warm meaning I have to wait until it has cooled down to start it again - does anyone know what is going on?

The context is that two days ago I let the tank get low, circa 20 miles range on distance to empty. Filled it up with diesel and after about 5 miles, noticed a 'lumpiness' in the accelerator response, but apart from that was driving fine. Stopped the car to pick up some things from a shop and then it wouldn't start again. Called out the breakdown service who arrived 100 minutes later (temparature at freezing or there abouts) when it started first time. Started first time again the next morning although was reluctant to start after being parked for 3 hours. Arrived home yesterday evening and wanted to pop out after an hour, when the engine just turned over and refused to start although started again first tme 3 hours later.

Does anyone know what is going on and what I can do to fix it?

Thank you in anticipation 

Well, I had this problem on my very OLD car, but I think it is the same priniciple of starting Diesel motors.

I am not sure how to say it in english, but it think it is the sensor that monitors the temperature in Cylindrs and activates the heater. But I may be mistaking...

Not totaly sure.

Hope this helps you

Hello.

The fact that this happened after the tank ran low of fuel leads me to suspect that the fuel filter is clogged.  Cold start injects extra fuel to get the car going, so might mask the problem.

Complete pain to change it, but at least the part is cheap.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links