Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fog light question on IS300h

I've not really bothered with fog lights since I got the car, but just tried them out today, to acquaint myself with them. The controls are easy to understand, and the spring loaded rear light operation is good, although not described well in the manual.

There are 2 clear reversing light style clear glass parts to the clusters, to balance the looks. With the offside using red LED for fog lights, I guess the nearside uses white LED for the reversing.

Is there only one rear fog light on the offside?

David.

Yes there is only one reversing light. In my opinion it is a totally stupid idea.  I was driving along some very narrow and unlit lanes here in Devon and it was necessary to reverse to createroom for another vehicle to get past and, with only one reversing light it doesn't make things easy.

There was another thread on here a while ago where it was discussing the possibility of fitting rear fog lights in place of the rear reflectors and changing the existing rear fog light to a second reversing light.  Not to sure if anyone actually did it.

I must say that it appealed to me to do the mod. I think that someone also pointed out that rear reflectors are a legal requirement and so it would probably be wise to fit some additional ones after changing the originals.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Deadloak said:

Thanks for the Geoff. I tried a search on 'Fog', but didn't throw up anything. I'll look for some more searches from your response. 

David.

Hi again David.  Don't laugh will you........................................it was me who started the thread that I mentioned.  Just shows, the old brain matter doesn't work as well as it used to!

Here is the link to the thread, took me a while to find it and it took me by surprise when I realised that it was me who started it. Silly old codger aint I eh!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 200h said:

the reverse light is not an led type bulb i think it is a w21w

Correct although I think it is a W16W but the fog light is an  LED.  I replaced my reversing light bulb with an LED equivalent and it is loads brighter and almost negates there only being one.

Ed:winkiss:

Never been too fussed with reversing lights - honestly I feel I could get away with not having them on any car - the rear lights are plenty for me.

43 minutes ago, capese21 said:

Correct although I think it is a W16W but the fog light is an  LED.  I replaced my reversing light bulb with an LED equivalent and it is loads brighter and almost negates there only being one.

Ed:winkiss:

Can you buy CREE versions of them? They're usually alot brighter and the output is quite good

6 hours ago, Venator said:

Can you buy CREE versions of them? They're usually alot brighter and the output is quite good

Yes the one I bought had a one Cree (or was it a COB) as the main chip supplemented by several normal smd type.

• 1 month later...

Just be aware that when using "automatic" lights the fog lights are controlled too.

In some situations they can go off when you actually need them.  I would have thought fog lights should overide this auto feature.

1 hour ago, easyasqwerty said:

Just be aware that when using "automatic" lights the fog lights are controlled too.

In some situations they can go off when you actually need them.  I would have thought fog lights should overide this auto feature.

I dont think they are - they don't turn on and off automatically, you have to do it manually

Correct, sorry if not clear.  Yes, fogs are manual but if they are on and the main lights come on or go off - they follow.  So, as happend to me in thick fog, the ambient light was bright enough to turn all lights off even though they were needed.

Auto lights are only activated by low light. Would you switch your lights on in rain or snow yourself even if it wasn't dark?  I know I would. I have auto wipers but I still operate them manually! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links