Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intake query

I would imagine Paul at Whifbitz would be able to supply these for people if needed as well?

Just another vendor option to consider. :thumbsup:

Paul already has a few IS-F specific products available via the shop on their website. Just thought I should point it out for the newer F owners.

Here's the link: http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/lexus/is-f.html

• Like 1

Hey Rob,

With the improved intake pipe and performance panel filter, should gain between 5-8hp.

Not really noticeable, but at least it's a gain! :wink:

I like others in the States actually lost hp with the Takeda! :wallbash:

Best setup is the performance intake pipe with stock airbox, and performance panel filter. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieC said:

Cheers Peter, don't suppose you know where I can get the Joe z from?

I'd contact Josh at Meraki Autoworks mate. :thumbsup:

May be able to bring it back for you on a business trip if that helps?

Cheers.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, CharlieC said:

Any updates on this project DT?

I was booked on for the dyno Monday coming but then had last minute meeting organised for me up in Teesside so had to cancel. I have three sets of parts to test now, standard, HPS with K&N filter and my own design...well really it's a hybrid of the HPS, RR-Racing and the CCS-R setups. Hopefully find a day soon to back to back dyno them. 

• Like 1

After all this I should be able to give you a fair idea of what (if anything) has been gained with the HPS and panel. It is a lot of trouble to go to but as value adding to the community I hope its worth while. I suppose it wont change much as I am sure my methods will be questioned (as I have questioned others) which after all is why I have to do this myself to be sure in my own mind.

I am getting a taste for trying some other (lesser tried) items but all in due time.

If it's a challenge you need Dave, come and help me finish trying to fit my new seats! Lol. :wink3:

The seats aren't a problem, it's all the wiring and sensors you need to remove from the OEM seats to fit to the new ones that's the headache! :wallbash:

Not quite sure how I get the occupancy sensor into the foam on the base of my new seat, but I will find a way! :blink:

As I said, any/all help would be very welcome! Lol. :thumbs_up:

• 1 month later...

Update to the project, Now have all parts I need for the intake system will upload a picture at some point over the weekend all being well so you can see what I'm up to. Most improtantly I have my baseline dyno finally booked in ats RGS motorsport for the morning of the 8th June, they run a dyno dynamics system so should be about as consistant as I can get. After this I'll mock up the intake and run it for a little while then return for a second dyno session. Lets see how we go...

• Like 1

Sounds good Dave. :thumbsup:

Look forward to reading how you get on.

Remember there should be a bedding in period for the ECU to re-learn any changes you make.

You ideally need to allow around 1K miles between each change before re-dynoing.

If not, the results may not be what you are expecting.

I'd also suggest re-setting the ECU (disconnect the battery) after each change to speed up the learning process.

Remember your seat, window, steering wheel settings will be wiped, and need restoring after each disconnect.

Best of luck! :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, i will take that advice. I am covering about 1300 miles a month at the moment so I will leave it for a month and then re-dyno. THis way as you say whould give them most accurate readings. Still really none the wiser on what to expect, could be anything, a loss a gain or just the same I really dont know but I guess thats why I am doing it. I have been reading a fair bit from RR-Racing of late on thier project and they really are the front runners in ISF development. I read quite interestingly that the standard intake with high flow panel and their intake elbow is good to 410whp after which their newly developed high flow system is required. All useful info, cant imagine there are many pushing past 410whp in teh UK at the moment, except maybe you Pete. Anyway I'm happy to finally be in the flow of this.

No worries Dave. :smile:

Indeed, Rafi and the RR-Racing guys are way out front in terms of developing exciting new products for the IS-F.

Their prototype supercharger kit is also out and about being thoroughly tested at the moment. Check out the sneak peek photos on the thread over at Club Lexus.

Interestingly the revised intake only applies if you are running aftermarket headers (PPE,SIKKY,Novel etc). Not suitable (or worthwhile) for anyone who hasn't fitted headers to their car (my next step).

Annoyingly the revised intake won't be compatible with the supercharger kit though. :frusty:

Can't see the point in spending out that kind of money only to remove it all once I can afford the supercharger kit?!

Would be better to put that $500 odd in the supercharger kitty! Lol.

As I have always said, best intake setup is a performance intake elbow (I now have the rather lovely RR-Racing titanium version) with an uprated panel filter (currently using the Tom's Racing version) in the stock airbox.

Whilst the Takeda intake sounded good, it actually robbed me of power (10-15hp), and put a nasty blip in my AFR readings.

Glad to see another UK owner looking to tinker with things. :cool:

Not many of us! :wink3:

5 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

I'm also eagerly awaiting the price info on the supercharger kit! 

Rafi has mentioned the figure $8K, but is hoping to come in a little below that if possible.

Based on current ROE, that's around £5,445 plus shipping, VAT, import duty, tax etc (although I will probably bring mine home on the plane! :thumbup:).

You also need to add in the ECU tune on top of that. Hopefully the handheld solution can be made to work on our cars, so that will save a lot of hassle removing it and sending it to RR-Racing and back!

Exciting stuff though! :cool:

This was the post from Rafi for those interested in their supercharger kit:

We have some more video footage from later in the day yesterday.... at 6pm they opened up the entire oval, so we were able to get about 8 full laps in at top speed, hit nearly 170mph on the straights!

At one point I had a few Z06 race cars behind me. They were much faster in the turns because they were running slicks (and also I was afraid of hitting the wall at 140mph+smile.gif So I am exiting the turn and give them the point-by all while mashing my foot on the gas... and the ISF just pulled away on the straight. Still running only 3.2psi peak boostsmile.gif

Anyway, so this was the first track test of our new SC. Track testing is critical to test the reliability of the SC drive system, and it was flawless all day.

We will post more details soon, and of course dyno results as we continue fine tuning the car.

We are getting a lot of questions about pricing. The kit will not be cheap. Rotrex c38 based supercharger kits for the e92 M3 run anywhere from $8000-$14000. Our kit will be around $8k, and we will try to keep it below that if possible.

Rafi

• Like 2

Managed to get away from the office early tonight and with the wife and kids with the grandparents for the afternoon I actually set about mocking up my intake.

1st stop was to fit the HPS just to get an idea of what the fit and finish of a well regarded intake pipe is like. It was so easy to fit and was finished nicely.

F3F5A5CD-6AA0-42C5-8B14-FD6797EB4598_zps

Next up was my mock up. 

Trial fit throttle body inlet elbow

D5447E6C-B1DC-419A-BE57-5C976F1F8A24_zps

Spec a length for the air box end and fit connector piece

AB56BDD8-88C1-44DA-8268-5C63F5270EF4_zps

Check for internal diameter, make sure there's no impedance to flow and she's a perfect match

F24D19BD-F7A6-4F17-92CA-AC6B900873B3_zps

final connect up and add in the breather filter (think I will re-site this when I finalise things) be interested to know where RR-Racing run their's 

344373E9-0320-4179-AC88-DAAA22356A92_zps

All things considered I think it's pretty good, ideally I would like it similar to the HPS design in full silicone but without the inlets for the breathers, I could get this made but it's to expensive as a one off. 

I did very quickly take her for a spin, couldn't feel anything of course but certainly has a little extra intake noise over the 3700rpm switchover. Could just be the K&N though. 

So anyway mk1 complete and I've reverted her back to standard straight away to make sure I don't fox the ecu so close to base line dyno day. So that's it, just have to wait now, will plan a way to re-route the head breather and filter in due course. 

Hi Dave,

Here are some photos of the piping/location of the RR-Racing intake filter.

I'm pointing at the filter in the second photo. Sorry for the poor lighting. Car is tucked up safely in the garage! Lol. 

Let me know if you can get what you need from these chap, will hold off on reassembly until tomorrow in case you need other bits.

I'd measure the hose lengths, but that'll mean undoing the jubilee clips and swearing a lot trying to ease the hoses off! :wink3:

They were tight to fit before, so rather not if I can help it! 

54DCBDBE-A728-448F-A9CD-B25E6F14964E_zps

1EB4CE7A-CEFD-4E9D-BB5B-E5D9F7830FFD_zps

124D419E-F330-40B4-B621-93688967EF00_zps

4112F8D4-856C-4CF2-AD3B-F63593F21DCC_zps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links