Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Query over used ISF listing

11 hours ago, dr_rick said:

So, next element. Assuming you find, say, a 2010+ car with good history, a Lexus Warranty, and were OK with fuel/consumables. Is Lexus reliability OK to make this a 15k a year car?

I wouldn't discount an 08 car if you can find one that ticks the boxes. Mine is at the lower end of the mileage scale with only 34k on the odometer but there will be a few around that are sub 50k. The suspension isn't as soft as I'd like but it's not harsher than my last car (Galant VR4) which was on old coilovers. 

I'll be aiming to do 15k a year in mine as it just feels like a car that you can rack the miles up in. 

I've got an option on a 2010 car with 54.5k for £20k (private), new summer tyres last year, winters too, plus a valved cat-back exhaust. Will need rear pads in couple of thousand miles, and possibly some wheel refurb. Drove really nice too.

Only sticking point is getting a sensible sale for my current S4.

2 hours ago, dr_rick said:

I've got an option on a 2010 car with 54.5k for £20k (private), new summer tyres last year, winters too, plus a valved cat-back exhaust. Will need rear pads in couple of thousand miles, and possibly some wheel refurb. Drove really nice too.

Only sticking point is getting a sensible sale for my current S4.

Make sure its a 2010 model as a lot of 2009's were registered in 2010. Look for the blue F at bottom of the steering wheel. If it a 2009 that's too expensive.

It's 'mates rates' as our daughters are in the same class at school / he's a fellow PH-er / that's what he's been offered as PX.

The exhaust is a custom one rather than off the shelf (active valve with remote). Given I'm Central Belt Scotland, the winters will be good and have had 2 seasons, the summers were last summer's addition.

This or an Alpina B5S.....

This, you know it makes sense! At that price you wouldn't lose much, if anything, if you changed your mind a few months in and wanted the Alpina. If you do buy it then I'd love to see a picture or two of the exhaust design. 

Slight, slight modification. I had a look at an XFR and just couldn't get excited about it.

What I'm left with is the B5S and the ISF. 

The Alpina is a dealer car with full history, an extended BMW Warranty but so far unseen as its so far from me. There's something about it that just appeals, if you know what I mean. My wife thinks it'll get stolen, even in Edinburgh. My only concerns are reliability and a lack of occasion.

The ISF is a private sale, full service history, no warranty but could have the Lexus one rebooted. It has a cat back valved exhaust, winter and summer tyres, interior is best described as 'used' (no rips or tears, but its a family car so the odd scuff from kids car seats). This has the reliability for 15k a year on the roads, and certainly has the sense of occasion.

I know they're different classes of car, but given the two cars could be as much as £2k apart, I'm not sure so far. Plus the ISF is twice as much on insurance. Also, I'm not planning on heading to a track, but who knows.

I know posting this on the Lexus forum is likely to lead to an expected conclusion, but I'm interested in WHY. So tell me why ISF?

If I had a chance to get a B5S I would. Very rare (Only 13 in the UK) and once its had the supercharger replaced very reliable. The only slight niggle is its not a M car and doesn't handle like one but 90% of the time no problem. Sounds much better than an M5 though!

On 11/04/2016 at 8:59 AM, stevet said:

If I had a chance to get a B5S I would. Very rare (Only 13 in the UK) and once its had the supercharger replaced very reliable. The only slight niggle is its not a M car and doesn't handle like one but 90% of the time no problem. Sounds much better than an M5 though!

The one in the firing line had its supercharger done in 2014, and has a BMW Extended Warranty in place.

(The ISF is currently running with no warranty)

On 11/04/2016 at 8:59 AM, stevet said:

(Excuse the quote - phone playing silly buggers)

I've driven the ISF, but not the B5S. My wife has similar views on Alpina, but I'm not swayed. I see them as more 'thuggish' - street fighter in Saville Row suit.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links