Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Speeding Update - I Avoided A Ban

Evista

I think the original post on this was lost in the November crash, but basically I was asking advice on how to handle a court appearance for doing 100MPH on the M40.

Following the advice from here and a helpful lawyer, I pleaded guilty by post but gave a statement of mitigating circumstances (see below)

Upshot of it all was 5 points and a £450 fine which by all accounts wasnt too bad :D

This is quite amusing though, an extract from my statement;

On 1st June 2003, I was returning from a family wedding in Oxford to my home in Surrey.  I was not travelling in my usual car which is a Lexus GS but had borrowed a company Golf Turbo Diesel.  Having been away for the evening, my wife and I were eager to return home to our 2 small children, who for the first time had been left with a babysitter overnight.

We left Oxford at around 8.30 -9.00am and made the journey towards London along the M40.  The traffic at all times was clear and surprisingly empty, even for early on a Sunday morning. The weather was very fine and bright.  The location of the offence is a road that I am familiar with due to my office being located in High Wycombe.  The motorway at this section is 4 lanes wide following a very steep and long uphill stretch.  It is such a steep hill, that you have to increase the rev’s of the engine in order to maintain a normal speed up this hill.  The location of the offence is approximately ½ a mile following the brow of the hill and it is entirely feasible that I had maintained the same revs when at the top of the hill without adjusting the revs to accommodate the lack of gravitational pull from the hill.  My Lexus has cruise control which maintains and controls the speed and revs and is especially designed for encountering hills such as this.  The characteristics of diesel engines are such that there is a large amount of torque power being delivered at very low revs and it is therefore due to this that I did not adjust my speed at the brow of the hill which resulted in me speeding.

B)

nice one..

so where in wycombe do you work as im over on the Cressex estate..

Well that was actually stretching the truth a little. I used to have an office in High Wycombe that I used to visit once a week. It was in Victoria House - Desborough Street but we moved it out Burnham Beeches about a year ago

it's all the luck of the draw - i went along to court one day when i'd pleaded guilty by letter just to see what happens. i'm convinced they don't normally read out the mitigating circumstances. i was the only member of the public there and the court usher kept trying to get me to leave. the magistrates were clearly in a rush to get away, and were being delayed by all the letters in mitigation, despite the clerk 'speed reading' them. i recon all the decisions are made before the court even sits, and the magistrates just rubber stamp it. needless to say, as i left the court, i was driving behind one of the now late magistrates who was happily doing 55 in a 30 area to get where he wanted to be! Dodgy could probably tell many stories like this! :winky:

nice one..

so where in wycombe do you work as im over on the Cressex estate..

Well that was actually stretching the truth a little. I used to have an office in High Wycombe that I used to visit once a week. It was in Victoria House - Desborough Street but we moved it out Burnham Beeches about a year ago

tsk tsk :lol::lol:

isnt there a policeman on these forums :yawn:

isnt there a policeman on these forums :yawn:

yes its me :P

Well what can I say? How on earth did you manage to get away with that tall story :o Maybe one of the Magistrates drove a Lexus :winky: :winky:

That was a very good result indeed. Only 5 points. Normally not always 100mph does result in a ban.

TOP TIP of the day

If you ever find yourself facing a ban you can always plead poverty and hardship. This doesn't stop you obtaining 12 points on your licence, which will affect your insurance. But at least you will keep your licence.

Or

You can tell the courts you normally drive a Lexus that drives for you. HONESTLY your worships it true :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links