Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 new owner, first problem!

Hi everyone 

New owner of a 2009 IS250 petrol, I've only had it a couple of weeks. I've used this site a lot for reference whilst looking for a nice example and fingers crossed I got one.

My only issue with the car is a groaning/rubbing/slight vibration noise from passenger wheel arch or possibly engine bay. Doing a bit of research I've narrowed it down to possible wheel bearing. Car is on 81k full service history (7 Lexus stamps). It's had new tyres all round approximately 3000 miles ago.

The noise/vibration etc is only at speeds below 20 mph and occurs when turning or driving straight. It can appear as soon as I start the car or go 5-10 miles before starting.

Does this sound like a wheel bearing issue? I believe it's  Lexus part only and requires replacing whole hub. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Edit* The sound is not continuous, it can last around 3 seconds then go quiet then come back s few minutes later

thanks

Chris

Edited by WetMyBeak
Extra

I don't think that sounds like a wheel bearing. Possibly seized brake caliper (slider bolt) or worn out brake pad? Can you feel heat from the disc on that side, maybe more than the other? Brakes always feel hot after a run, but look for something excessive!

Thanks for the reply. I've not tried testing for excessive heat so will try to remember when I drive home from work to check. There is a very feint vibration through the steering wheel under braking but I thought that might be tired discs. I've read about the sticking caliper issue, any other symptoms of this?

I agree with john wheel bearing makes more noise faster you go. Have you got a lose wheel inner arch? If its wheel bearing it is a full system as you say.

It could well be the brakes sticking on or even a warped disc.

The wheel arch lining is fine from what I could see when on full lock.  I'm taking it in for a check up at my local independent garage on Monday, just hoping it's nothing too heavy on the wallet!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links