Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

In the next month or two I'll be looking to upgrade my trusty IS250 to a GS (circa 2012 and newer) - but I'm torn.

The budget allows for a GS450h, but does the additional power and hybrid powertrain really justify the additional cost?

If you had to chose, what would you go for and why?

Thanks in advance!

As one gets older Lee, one realises that life is a single journey and there is no option to return from whence one came.

They are both fine cars, but in different ways.Test both well,and choose the one that best fits your circumstances and budget. 

DO NOT OVERLOOK TO CARRY OUT THE USUAL CHECKS re Service 

Good luck.

Regards

John

Thanks John, but that doesn't really help.  I've driven both - but I've not lived with both.

Budget as mentioned allows purchase of the higher priced model - but I don't know if the 'extras' over the 250 are worth the additional.

For instance, what made you decide to buy a 450h over it's counterparts?  

1 hour ago, speedfreek said:

Thanks John, but that doesn't really help.  I've driven both - but I've not lived with both.

Budget as mentioned allows purchase of the higher priced model - but I don't know if the 'extras' over the 250 are worth the additional.

For instance, what made you decide to buy a 450h over it's counterparts?  

I would personally go for the GS450h and here is why:

Cheaper on tax and fuel - depending on mileage driven it may or may not  cover the difference.

The GS450h also gets the rear wheel steering on the F-Sport models which is WELL worth it but again, depends on the model you go for.

The GS450h has a true Jekyll and Hyde character - goes like stink when you floor it and when you lay off its eerily quiet. The Instant torque from the electric motors is a huge bonus too.

• Like 2

That's exactly the type of reply I was hoping to get - thank you.

I was leaning toward one as the IS250 I have now is nippy, but nippier and slightly better on fuel would be better still.

Aside from making sure the batteries have been checked in line with recommendation - do the Lexus hybrid batteries suffer any common problems?

I made a similar decision when I changed  my previous 2008 GS450h with a GS300h, and even if the GS300h is far better than older 450, I still sometimes miss the power of 450h, If you don't worry for fuel costs, GS 450h is quite a fast car.

1 hour ago, speedfreek said:

That's exactly the type of reply I was hoping to get - thank you.

I was leaning toward one as the IS250 I have now is nippy, but nippier and slightly better on fuel would be better still.

Aside from making sure the batteries have been checked in line with recommendation - do the Lexus hybrid batteries suffer any common problems?

Well tbf the GS250 is pretty good. The only issue is that you get more tax and less fuel economy. Its much heavier than the IS250 too so needs revving hard if you need to make a quick getaway.

The GS450H, especially the new one is very fast.  It's rated at 5.9s but it feels closer to 5s dead

The post 2012 one is bulletproof. Haven't heard of a single problem in terms of the hybrid system on them

Also if you're very careful, you'll get around 35mpg in the GS450h.  With the GS250 you'll be lucky to get 25mpg

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Well tbf the GS250 is pretty good. The only issue is that you get more tax and less fuel economy. Its much heavier than the IS250 too so needs revving hard if you need to make a quick getaway.

The GS450H, especially the new one is very fast.  It's rated at 5.9s but it feels closer to 5s dead

The post 2012 one is bulletproof. Haven't heard of a single problem in terms of the hybrid system on them

Also if you're very careful, you'll get around 35mpg in the GS450h.  With the GS250 you'll be lucky to get 25mpg

Awesome - well that's only reinforced what I was thinking.

I do a fair bit of motorway miles, so having a bit of extra wafty power with decent economy sounds ideal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links