Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

Anyone with a GS450h on here get a slightly lumpy idle on cold starts? 

It's only the first start of the day when the engine fires up, its slightly lumpy and juddery. When the car is moving it's absolutely fine!

Cheers

Yep, if you sit stationary then you can feel the slight lumpy idle. It will clear once the engine gets up to temperature or by the time you stop after pulling away.

inhad mine in Lexus several times and even had them strip down the engine to view the inlet and exhaust valves which turned out to be spotless.

never got to the bottom of it and just live with it now.

i know it's there but because it's only the very first start of the day and if I pull straight off I never feel it.

if you ever find a reason, I suspect a sensor of some sort.

anyway, mines been like it for nearly two years and never got worse.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AmbroseJohn said:

Mine sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a tin can but Lexus have serviced it and say everything is OK.

Lol, well its definately not the quietest engine from stone cold but mine doesn't sound that bad. Sure it's not he neighbour starting up there old ford each morning at the same time as you...

carl

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AmbroseJohn said:

Mine sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a tin can but Lexus have serviced it and say everything is OK.

Mine is exactly the same for around a second or so. I think it is the VVT units being empty of oil after standing some time, but could even be the hydraulic tappets?

I think the garage that I bought it from have used 20w50 oil or some such in the service before I collected the car. It does not look like the usually clear thin 0 or 5w30 oil. I have just bought 10 ltrs of 5w30 fully synthetic oil from Asda for £28 so I will do an oil, and filter change to see if there is any improvement. This oil will possibly be used as an engine flush.                                                                                                                                    I will also check the VVT oil filters when I can get time. There must be some way of curing this problem as in the long run it must be damaging to the components that are making the noise.

At one time there was an add on oil pre-lube system available. This stored oil under spring pressure in a container the oil being released at ignition on, but before the engine was started, and then being recharged when the oil pressure reached a given level. Thus the engine always had lubrication before running.

The engine otherwise runs smoothly even when cold.

John.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links