Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

(Sorry for the barrage of questions today!)

My 2014 GS300h has rather busy number plates: the blue GB strip (I never drive to the continent), the ugly black Lexus dealership strip along the bottom, and bolts that are impinging on the letters. 

So, I'm going to replace them with a nice clean look - no GB, no bolts, no unnecessary lettering save for the legal stuff.

But I was thinking - the rear panel on which the plate goes is rather deep, and a regular plate (especially without the dealership strip) may look a little lost. I see that the standard plate is 112mm tall whereas a taller one at 152mm is also widely available. I noticed when walking the dog tonight that cars like Range Rovers and Jags have these, and they look nicely proportioned. 

Because I don't honestly think I have ever seen another GS300h on the road (really!), I'm not sure what owners usually have there. I am however minded to go for the slightly larger plate.

Does anyone have any thoughts? 

As long as the plate meets the required legislation I think the backplate size is a personal choice, I have the square Japanese plate on the rear and can have the smaller oblong plate on the front as it is an import but it has the standard UK spec one fitted.

I have nothing but the reg number on mine. I refused to advertise the dealer and that flag will never be displayed on anything of mine.

I had the cross of St George on my Chevy but I think is was the misplaced numbers that the policeman took a dislike to. :)

6376672371_e45a672676_o.jpgCar HDR.jpg by John Pate, on Flickr

I have recently had a new rear No plate made for my GS430 it was made from a modified Jag back plate blank and fits fully the rear recess and has only my reg No on it , its fixed with yellow plastic bolts rather than the steel bolts that were in the original.

Well I've ordered the slightly larger rear plate. 

There's no "recess" as such on the GS300h but the panel on which it fixes is rather large. I'll report back when I get it.

Regarding whether to use tape or bolts. The latter gives peace of mind (and I have had a taped plate pop off before in the summer heat) but a deciding factor is if the bolt partially obscures some lettering. Unfortunately in my case, it does. So I'll try tape (lots of it!)

So, the new plates arrived yesterday from Demon Plates. They are a little more expensive than most sellers, but they get good reviews.

The plates are nicely made. No air bubbles, no rough edges. The legal jargon is in very small print. 

There's not much to say about the front one - it's nice and clean in appearance and I stuck it on with plenty of double sided tape. Looks neat.

However, as for the back one...it's too big in my opinion. I stuck it on, and stepping back down the road to have a look, it just looks too big.

It's not helped by the fact that the plate is more "orange" than the one I took off, which is more of a pale yellow. I immediately pulled it off - that was a job (those No More Nails double sided pads are good!) and I put the fussy dealer one back on for now.

It's a shame there isn't a plate that is a tad larger than the standard, but just a bit smaller than the one I got.

30 minutes ago, keiron99 said:

So, the new plates arrived yesterday from Demon Plates. They are a little more expensive than most sellers, but they get good reviews.

The plates are nicely made. No air bubbles, no rough edges. The legal jargon is in very small print. 

There's not much to say about the front one - it's nice and clean in appearance and I stuck it on with plenty of double sided tape. Looks neat.

However, as for the back one...it's too big in my opinion. I stuck it on, and stepping back down the road to have a look, it just looks too big.

It's not helped by the fact that the plate is more "orange" than the one I took off, which is more of a pale yellow. I immediately pulled it off - that was a job (those No More Nails double sided pads are good!) and I put the fussy dealer one back on for now.

It's a shame there isn't a plate that is a tad larger than the standard, but just a bit smaller than the one I got.

I've been thinking of getting a "smiley" plate for my LS, not sure if it would suit yours?

Link here number plate ebay

Thanks, but no thanks. I had one on my Rover 75 (yes, I had one, and it was a lovely car!). It was perfect for that, but the GS300 is a very "angular" car and I don't think the curves would complement it very well.

13 minutes ago, keiron99 said:

Thanks, but no thanks. I had one on my Rover 75 (yes, I had one, and it was a lovely car!). It was perfect for that, but the GS300 is a very "angular" car and I don't think the curves would complement it very well.

All my plates come from myshowplates.com.

Never had an issue with any of them and the colour is spot on. Ive got through a fair few plates as well :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links