Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:29 PM, Zotto said:

Not difficult to reach 45 mpg (UK)

Really?:unsure:

I  test drove an IS300h around Cambridge for a couple of hours and got just under 40mpg (which I thought was actually rather good bearing in mind my IS250 would struggle to hit 25mpg).

I'd reckon mid 30s - tops, falling back towards 30mpg after a prolonged period.

With a little practice you can reach more than 55, but I admit it's rather boring and not relaxing, driving in a natural way avoiding fast acceleration and hard braking like a good driver does, 45 is normal.

When driving in town with no care for limits and licence, I never scored under 30.

It depends on what 'in town' means, really. On a cold day, with a cold engine and the heater on, heading straight into stop-start traffic then you can easily be in the 10-20mpg range for the first couple of miles. It's the worst type of situation for a hybrid (and probably anything that's not full electric). My old Prius used to be down in the 20s in the same situation. 

Arriving in town after a longer run with a warm engine and a full Battery, with lighter traffic, then mpg can easily be 60+ over the first 2-3 miles of town driving as a lot of that will be in milkfloat mode. Once the Battery is depleted then mpg will drop like a stone as the engine kicks in to keep the charge up.

If the car never leaves a congested town, that 35mpg figure probably isn't far off for warm days but in winter I doubt you'd crack 25. But like I said, it all depends on how you define 'in town'. As soon as you get a few stretches where you can cruise at ~40mph then that will lift the figures a lot.

As for Battery capacity - 2-3 traffic lights in London and Battery is depleted and I still got 20 more junctions to do on conventional 3.5L petrol engine - easily 25-30 area

of course outside London in smaller cities Battery is charging between stops and hybrid system works well. - 30-35 averagE.

It all depends what the town is what distance you are doing etc. 

Above values are for 450h so newer 300h for sure will be better but still 45mpg sound too good - at least in my town :)

"It all depends what the town is what distance you are doing etc.  "

Sure! My answer was for a trip around town of more than 5 minutes, if you start the car to go in a place you can reach easily walking and engine can't reach working temperature mpg rise very much, like any other car.

The reason because hybrid cars have good mpg in city is the energy recovery they have at every (light) braking, and thermal engine totally off at every slowing down at city speed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links