Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have an aftermarket HID headlamp bulb kit (dip beams) fitted, that MoT regs had been tightened recently, and that my MoT test was due shortly.

You can read the most recent MoT regs here: http://tinyurl.com/gl9ug5q

It's a 206 page pdf document - the section on lighting is 1.8. Pages 4 and 5 are relevant to us - that describes the beam patterns (main beams and dip) required for British American Headlamps (which are what we have). They are pages 33 and 34 of the whole document.

My car passed today - no problem at all, either on test, advisories or even verbal chat with the tester. So there you go - aftermarket HID kits should be no problem at all on cars like ours with projector beam dip beams (as has been mentioned here frequently in the past). Don't put them in the main beams (on earlier cars?) though - conventional type headlamps are not suitable for the conversion kits.

My only problem (advisory) is a small and non-zone 'A' stone chip on the windscreen but I've also got a scrape on the screen directly in my line of sight so I'm hoping the chip/crack will expand soon and then I can get the screen replaced mostly on insurance. (The tester did give me a tip on how to ...er...'encourage' this!)

2 hours ago, piasek said:

Windscreen cover is usually a standard when buying fully comp insurance. It will not affect your no claims discount. Just a shame that excess us so high. I had a nasty crack on windscreen of my wifes passat which happened when we was on holiday in Poland. It was actually cheaper to pay for new windscreen with fitting in Poland than to pay excess in UK.

Blimey....really?

Windscreen excess is normally £75 to £100. Its £100 on my policy that I have just started. They seem to be edging it up a bit as the screens are getting more elaborate.... and no doubt more expensive.

I'm very pleased that my 56 plate IS250 passed its MOT at Lexus Ipswich with no advisories!

I had HID fitted to my old BMW 525i (the standard low beam headlights were really feeble) and it then passed 3 MOTs. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links