Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SRS Airbag Warning Light on 2006 is250

I recently had an issue with the airbag warning light staying on while driving my is250 which is out of warranty. I was disturbed to read that some is250 owners have had issues with cars out of warranty having to spend extortionate amounts of money with Lexus dealers to replace in-dash harnesses. Even if it is only a loose connection dealers are only interested in replacing the whole in-dash harness, (very profitably).

I found a simple tip on YouTube that worked for me with the same problem. Before you take the car to the dealers for a fault finding check try this simple procedure. Start the engine and run for 6 seconds, if the airbag light continues to stay on, switch the engine off and leave for 6 seconds then re-start the engine. I done this for 5 consecutive times and the light went off and has stayed off.

I can only guess that this process re-sets the engine management system relating to the SRS airbag system. If that does not work, disconnect the Battery terminals for 30 seconds, re-connect and then try the same procedure, if that fails, then you will need to consult the dealer to do a diagnostic check. Hope this tip works for you.

Interesting.

It is unfortunate that these days dealers will just replace everything without even attempting a repair.  I recently had a rear caliper replaced by a dealer that could probably have been fixed with some grease on the slide pins.

Do you have a OBD2 reader?  Perhaps the car has a fault code saved that could help diagnose any potential issues?

• Like 1

Has a different driver been in the car, some times wireing gets knocked. Have you tried unplugging the seat connectors and spraying with electrical spray.

As above states,Obd2 readers are worth their weight if they are a good machine. If you were local i would of offered to plug my machine in.

Had the same problem in my is220d. The cause was the squib in the drivers knee airbag. I used to push the wiring up under the footwell and it knocked the light off for a few days but came back on after driving over a pot hole or two.

In the end I simply fitted a cable tie to the squid and it solved the problem. 

• 6 years later...

Just had the same problem, disconnected the Battery... at first it stayed on then disappeared. From what I've seen on other forums is that it tends to be a loose harness connector somewhere. If it comes back I'll get the code scanned and have a look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 9:41 PM, Taseen said:

Just had the same problem, disconnected the battery... at first it stayed on then disappeared. From what I've seen on other forums is that it tends to be a loose harness connector somewhere. If it comes back I'll get the code scanned and have a look.

Light came back. Code scanned it was the drivers knee airbag (which seems to be the case with most people). Took off the cover and gave it a firm press down and light has gone off. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links