Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all,

Does anyone know what is involved with steering wheel changes? Does it affect the air bag or button function or is it pretty much like the old days where you just undo the nut and change it over?

I've just changed the gear knob to a wood effect one from a 430 and I quite fancy having the matching wheel.

Thanks,

Bod

• Like 1

Hi James, I've not replaced a wheel on a GS but I have on other vehicles and they're all pretty similar.  Somebody hopefully will be along to help specifically for the GS, but I'm pretty confident this is correct for the 2002 GS.

First, ensure your wheels are straight pointing ahead. Next disconnect the negative from your Battery and leave the car for 30 mins. After the 30 mins , on the GS I believe there are two torx bolts that need undoing under covers on the lower steering wheel covers ( they don't need removing, just loosening until the head of the bolt is flush with the cover) now you can remove the airbag and disconnect the wires. Now disconnect the switch control wires from the rotary coupler ( Clock-spring ). Now you can undo the nut securing the wheel to the column, mark the position of the wheel to the column and remove the wheel ( you might need a puller )

Once the wheel is off it is a good idea to tape the rotary coupler in place to prevent it from accidentally spinning out of position whilst waiting to prepare the new wheel for fitting.

When about to fit the new wheel, remove the tape and align the new steering wheel to the marks you previously made and then re-fit in reverse of above.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links