Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real World Mpg For The Latest Gs 300h/450h

Hi,

After being very disappointed to find I don't fit in the latest IS, I've turned my eye onto the GS.

My initial thoughts are that the GS300H would not offer me sufficient performance (unless anyone can argue otherwise) so I've turned my attention on the 450h.

So what is the actually real world for these cars? I mean what would I get driving around town? What would I get on a good motorway journey?

Thanks in advance,

SW

Yep, my 07 plate averages between 29-32mpg around town depending how heavy my foot is and around 40's at motorway speeds.

Point which has been made, you get the performance with these mpg'is and it's not just that you can drive it quickly, it's that all that power makes all driving effortless even on big hills.

And I know people have said they are unsure about the cvt gearbox which essentially is one continual gear but to me it's the smoothest way to drive and once used to it even an auto seems choppy afterwards.

I be.ive the new shape gs450 is even better economy so win, win..

Carl

I did the opposite choice just 2 months ago, from powerful GS450h to a MY 2014 GS300h: if you seek wonderful acceleration ad high speed the 450H is astounding, for "normal" driving and more fuel economy the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine of 300h works well.

So, if you have tested the IS300h and it's good for you about engine performance, you will have same performance with a GS 300h, if you want more, MUCH more, go for 450h. Sometimes, not so often indeed, I miss it, except when fuelling.

About this last topic, if you like to have sporty driving, may be the difference between 450h and 300h in just about 20%, while if you go for economy run you may have much more difference.

In the is300 defence, I had one of these for the day and it was a lovely drive, the power is more than adequate and acceleration feels much swifter than the book times would suggest.

In my opinion I would not be disappointed going from my gs450 to either an is or gs300.

All lovely cars, in fact he only reason I didn't go for one was purely money as my GS come up at The right time and right price.

Next time around I will most likely be going for one of the 300h varieties. I'm rather smitten with he whole hybrid thing.

What ever you go for I don't think you will be disappointed and to be honest from a performance point of view I mostly drive in a conservative manner so probably only use the 450h potential a small percentage of the time so it's debatable whether its as important at all for majority of driving.

Carl

Hi Simon,

I have a 10 Reg, GS450h with 31,000 on the clock.

I normally get 28/29 mpg when driving locally. I recently filled up with Super Unleaded however,and got 35mpg when driving locally. This was a Brim to Brim (not OBC) measurement.

I have just returned from a trip to Edinburgh having filled up with ordinary unleaded and got 33mpg, with the return trip giving 34mpg. These again were real (Brim to Brim) measurements and speed was typical motorway speeds WITH NOT MUCH PASSING ME!

I expect to get between 400 and 480 miles from a full tank of fuel and I endorse all that Carl has said about power and performance. The drive is majestreal.

Enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

Regards

John

Sorry but some troubles with metric conversion :)

In real driving , Always with AC on, I do about 15-16 km/l .

Trying to have best mpg, I did at about 90m km/h (Always with AC on), more than 19 km/l, with cruise on.

In sport mode, with no care for fuel (and speed limits), 12.5 km/l ; with GS 450h I made 10.5 (more or less).

Highway driving , respecting limits and intense traffic, 15 km/l .

GS 300h is NOT slow indeed, even if I prefer to drive in Normal mode because in ECO mode the accelerator response is a bit sleepy, while if you need a better response SPORT mode is quite better and somewhat sporty; I tried with Torque android app a 0-100 km/h (0-63 mph) and while in ECO is 9.2 (as written on specs), in Normal is 9 and in SPORT 8.5.

A note, mpg could be better with smaller tyres, mine ones are 245/40 R 19

The dynamic behaviour is wonderful , in my GS also AVS, but it seems it's very good also without.

The max speed at 190 km/h is due to technical limits of eCVT, not a power problem; same issue was solved in GS 450h with a dual gear to achieve max speed limited to 250 km/h.

Sorry but some troubles with metric conversion :)

In real driving , Always with AC on, I do about 15-16 km/l .(45mpg)

Trying to have best mpg, I did at about 90m km/h(56mph) (Always with AC on), more than 19 km/l,(51mpg) with cruise on.

In sport mode, with no care for fuel (and speed limits), 12.5 km/l (35mpg); with GS 450h I made 10.5 (30mpg)(more or less).

Highway driving , respecting limits and intense traffic, 15 km/l .(42mpg)

GS 300h is NOT slow indeed, even if I prefer to drive in Normal mode because in ECO mode the accelerator response is a bit sleepy, while if you need a better response SPORT mode is quite better and somewhat sporty; I tried with Torque android app a 0-100 km/h (0-63 mph) and while in ECO is 9.2 (as written on specs), in Normal is 9 and in SPORT 8.5.

A note, mpg could be better with smaller tyres, mine ones are 245/40 R 19

The dynamic behaviour is wonderful , in my GS also AVS, but it seems it's very good also without.

The max speed at 190 km/h is due to technical limits of eCVT, not a power problem; same issue was solved in GS 450h with a dual gear to achieve max speed limited to 250 km/h.

Converted for us UK drivers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links