Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intake Resinator

can anyboady tell me why there is resinator on the air box intake? its the little box at the start of the intake right side wont the resinator cause a desterbance in the air flowing through the intake allowing less air to be drawn in. many thanks in advance :)

Brief description here.

The basic idea is that when you open and shut an intake valve a pressure pulse is generated in the intake plumbing. This pulse travels up and back down the pipe. If you can time the arrival of a positive pressure pulse with the next intake opening you can get more mixture into the cylinder - a bit like forced induction but coming in pulses rather than constant(ish) pressure.

Upside is its almost 'money for nothing'.

Downside is that it takes a bit of work to tune correctly and only works over certain rev ranges. The IS actually changes the size of the resonator chamber at around 4000 rpm to try & keep the thing 'in tune'.

Similar theory for tuned exhausts - only in this case you time the pulses for negative pressure when an exhaust opens to help evacuate the cylinder.

its tyo act as a storage box for air, for the inlet tract, so when you put your foot down there is a reserve of air for the engine

That's the best one I ever heard, Intake resonators are tuned to certain freq, to either take away air borne noise or change the resonant freq for a more throaty sound. Also the size of the resonator will make a big differance to the sound you hear inside the car.

Well that's what I do with them. :winky:

only relaying in simple terms the description that TTE gave for its purpose

when its removed it makes no difference to the sound at all....i know i removed mine 3 years ago, after asking TTE what its function was

only relaying in simple terms the description that TTE gave for its purpose

when its removed it makes no difference to the sound at all....i know i removed mine 3 years ago, after asking TTE what its function was

I can't answer for TTE or Lexus from the driving seat, when certain parts are tuned for NVH, all seating positions will give differnent sound traces and also remember they are also tuned for drive-bye noise which is a legal requiement, The resonator on the IS could be tuned only for drive-by noise. if this was the case then from the driving seat you wouldn't notice the difference :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links