Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dimming Headlights

Corby

Driving home tonight, I noticed that when i turned my heated rear screen on the dipped headlights dimmed quite considerably - and stayed dimmed (until I revved the engine). The revs were down at 750rpm - with heated screen on.

I know that the rear screen takes quite some power, but should it be that much? Should the Battery / alternator cope with it without showing any symtoms of reduced power??

Im worried that this maybe a sign that something is failing - or is it normal??

Any advice & comments greatly recieved.

Cheers.

You haven't mention how old your car is or mileage

It could be the alternator not pushing out enough charge, you need to put a voltmeter across the Battery and rev the engine to 2000 to 2500 rpm, the voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.5 volts, if the reading is lower 13 volts, could be your alternator on it's way out.

Note

The volt meter in to 'IP' is only indication and should not be taken as being spot on.

The car is 51 reg, so late 2001 and done 32,000miles.

I know the voltmeter on the dash is approx 13.5 volts and not moving much with revs or load. I'll check with a voltmeter 2moro.

Would you expect an alternator to fail in just over 2 years? Would this be a warranty item?

Yes mine does this as well - just tried it as I got back tonight, idle with the heated rear screen on and the lights dim and the voltage meter shows ~12 - turn the heated screen off and it crawls back up to ~14.

Like Colin says nothing to worry about

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links