Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems With Un-helpful Dealers

Hi All

Need some help with a few problems which my un-helpful Lexus dealer won’t sort out. These were unresolved at the 10K service in Nov 03 and they were supposed to get back to me for a date to fix. When that didn’t happen I phoned and they had forgotten! So in we went again yesterday after confirming the points they were to fix; only to get the car back at 5pm where they hadn’t done anything at all, hadn’t even had the wheels off!

So here we go!

Does any one have any experience of a noise which sounds just like a wheel bearing giving out on a GS wearing 18" sport wheels with Pirelli P-Zero's.

The dealer drove the car to investigate. The noise, which appears from the front when cornering right lightly at slow speeds, like roundabouts etc. I was told that’s the tyres and you have to put up with it. I did challenge them by saying – I’ll pay to replace the perfectly good front tyres ( about half worn I would say at most – no angling off evident) and if the noise is still there you pay for them, if it does I’ll back down, but they wouldn’t take it up to my surprise!

Also they said all GS model’s suffer from wind noise around the Drivers Door and they can’t do anything about that either, although my last GS didn’t and the one the loaned me didn’t!

They agreed the three inches of paint missing from the front spoiler and the paint peeling from the corners to reveal the grey primer base shouldn’t happen; but the fact that the bonnet looks as though it has done service in Iraq is normal after 13K miles and 9 months. No marks on the Bumper or the door mirrors though, which begs the question about the paint on the bonnet! In fact I asked if they put this on the forecourt and the dealer replied “no we would have to have that painted”!

They did admit they could feel the brakes juddering which they have agreed to look at again and check for run out, if I decide to travel the 160 mile trip there and back twice to have the car booked in again. Is it me or do we have to write to Lexus every time something goes wrong to get these damn cars fixed? ( thanks for the info Steve)

These are supposed to be expensive luxury cars- if I wanted this kind of treatment and poor quality I would have thought twice!

Sorry to rant on but what do you think? :crybaby:

Does any one have any experience of a noise which sounds just like a wheel bearing giving out on a GS wearing 18" sport wheels with Pirelli P-Zero's.

Up until recently I had Pirelli P-Zeros on the front of mine. I did have a "dodgy wheel bearing" type noise which varied in pitch with speed. Cornering didn't make any difference to the noise. I only noticed it on smooth roads. I have just replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports, and the noise has gone.

You could temporarily swap the wheels around (fronts for backs or something) and see if the noise changes. I have been surprised in the past at some of the noises that tyres can cause.

Also they said all GS model’s suffer from wind noise around the Drivers Door and they can’t do anything about that either, although my last GS didn’t and the one the loaned me didn’t!

Mine has a bit of wind noise from around the windscreen and drivers door. If you manage to get this fixed, let me know how!!!

They did admit they could feel the brakes juddering which they have agreed to look at again and check for run out

When I bought mine, there was quite a bit of judder from the front discs. These were replaced, but 4000 miles on, it seems to be coming back, although I'm not convinced that this isn't suspension bushes or something. Mine has done about 90,000.

I agree that with a car as new as yours which I assume is under warranty, you shouldn't have to test things out yourself or fight to get things like this fixed.

Good luck!

I totaly agree with the wheel noise i have pirrelis on mine and have the same noise and was told by my dealer the same thing .The noise on mine nearly went as my older tyres wore down but had a new set fitted a month ago and it came back.

Mine has a bit of wind noise from around the windscreen and drivers door. If you manage to get this fixed, let me know how!!!

We have fixes for that.

If the wind noise is comes from the top of the windscreen then press it very hard and see if it goes away. The screen will need to be removed and rebonded.

Noise around the mirror - you need to fill the gaps around the mirror hinge with something - speak to dipstick about this.

Also put some silicone spray around the door seals.

Thanks for the help chaps!

The noise from the front is appalling on such a quiet car and sounds very much like a bearing to me on right turn but goes quite on a left?

I have two nearly new Pirelli's in the garage from my GS300 which they convinced me to change when the blamed them for the vibration that suffered. It didn't cure it, so you imagine why I am so sceptical on this matter. I know Pirelli's can be noisy tyres in general and would consider swapping the fronts to cure this racket. I saw some good write ups on Goodyears last year, does any one have any experience with them.

It just seems like nothing has been tested for the duration, I thought manufacturers thoroughly tested cars and ironed out these type of problems, particularly when a model has been out for a few years.

I think the most annoying feature is the paintwork on a car of this quality. I did 40K in a year in my Jag three years ago and the thing looked brand new when I sold her, and that was british racing green which would have shown the chips worse.

I look after my cars and this is was brasses me off completely, the rest of the car is virtually the same as when it left the showroom. :angry:

It just seems like nothing has been tested for the duration

I would agree with that comment on mine, certainly as far as the suspension goes. I knew when I bought it that a lot of people were unhappy with the ride quality, but I think, on a £40k car it is not good enough. I accept that when buying a 'Sport' model I should expect a firmer ride, but on anything other than glass smooth surfaces it crashes and bangs all over the place. I'm hoping that with some new suspension bushes, things will improve.

Keep us posted on how you get on. :D

Will do.

I have a letter prepared to go off tomorrow. I'm not going to be fobbed off on this. Your right a car costing 42K should be right and shouldn't come in inherent wind noise and probelms that dealers just refer to as normal for this car!

I'll keep you posted on the result - I notice you are only up the road just outside Nottingham

cheers

One question though - am I supposed to push the windscreen outwards from the inside whilst driving, or inwards from the outside before driving?

Push from the inside out whilst driving at high speed. Bit difficult the other way round :o It will make the noise worse or make it disappear - either way you know there is a problem with the fitting.

I knew when I bought it that a lot of people were unhappy with the ride quality, but I think, on a £40k car it is not good enough. I accept that when buying a 'Sport' model I should expect a firmer ride, but on anything other than glass smooth surfaces it crashes and bangs all over the place.

This is a problem on the Sport models - The ride isn't the best on the S and SE models and is just made worse by the bigger wheels and stiffer springs. The facelift models have better suspension as does the new sport models (2003 onwards).

This is a problem on the Sport models - The ride isn't the best on the S and SE models and is just made worse by the bigger wheels and stiffer springs. The facelift models have better suspension as does the new sport models (2003 onwards).

Do you know what the difference is between the new and pre-facelift suspension? Just wondering whether an upgrade might be viable. I suspect that cost might be a limiting factor.

I think the 1998-2000 sport suspension upgrade was just shorter/stiffer springs over the existing shocks.

I believe the new sport has uprated and matched springs and shocks and the anti-rollbars are uprated. Also the non sport 2001+ models ride better - don't know the differences maybe different bushes and different shocks.

You may be better off getting coilovers - something like the Tein comfort coilovers. Probably cost the same and you have adjustment to set it up for your taste.

They did admit they could feel the brakes juddering which they have agreed to look at again and check for run out

When I bought mine, there was quite a bit of judder from the front discs. These were replaced, but 4000 miles on, it seems to be coming back, although I'm not convinced that this isn't suspension bushes or something. Mine has done about 90,000.

My GS has done a tad over 100,000 miles and has a similar noise to the one you described. When it went in for the last service they checked it out and found it to be front suspension bushes which IS covered under the Lexus extended warrenty program (which I dont have)

As for the after sales service you are getting, thats totally unacceptable, name and shame them on here for a starters, write a letter to Lexus UK and complain. I get better treatment than that from Lexus Sheffield, I didnt buy the car from them I bought it second hand from a non-Lexus dealer. They even gave me better treatment than I have had from ANY dealer before when I ad my Mk 1 GS.

Good luck

Letters already gone off to the MD at Lexus UK

It seesm the only way to get problems resolved with them.

My wife has a freelander and the dealers are first rate ( motors a bit suspect though) . They can't do enough when we take it in and always sort things out. That was second hand and a third of the price I paid for this GS.

Making me consider something else now - fancy a go an a Type R S type - I know they are a tad old fashioned but they don't half shift!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links