Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Powered rear hatch.

I've noticed when I want to open the rear hatch it will only open from the remote or the button on the dash just after I have unlocked the car, if I unlock and drive to my destination and then try to open the hatch it will not open using the remote or the button on the dash, locking and unlocking the car is the only way I can get it open - is this normal or is there an issue with it?

I'd say definitely an issue but just what it is and how to fix it, I'm afraid I haven't got a clue.

I've noticed when I want to open the rear hatch it will only open from the remote or the button on the dash just after I have unlocked the car, if I unlock and drive to my destination and then try to open the hatch it will not open using the remote or the button on the dash, locking and unlocking the car is the only way I can get it open - is this normal or is there an issue with it?

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Do you have auto locking enabled so the doors lock automatically when you move out of Park? You would therefore need to be back in Park for the hatch to open.

Auto locking is enabled but the doors lock after moving off from standing still, car is in park after stopping with ignition off after I've reached my destination.

The hatch will not open unless I lock and unlock the car and then it opens normally.

17 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Definitely isn't normal. Try initialising the system by opening the hatch fully manually and then closing it again manually.

How do you open and close the manually?

Press the button on the rear of the hatch and pull it up. Then close it by manually pulling it down and closing (don't just rest in the close position and let it automatically pull itself fully shut). As if you were opening / closing the door on a vehicle without any power lift function.

14 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Press the button on the rear of the hatch and pull it up. Then close it by manually pulling it down and closing (don't just rest in the close position and let it automatically pull itself fully shut). As if you were opening / closing the door on a vehicle without any power lift function.

Didn't know there was a button, where is it located?

17 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Definitely isn't normal. Try initialising the system by opening the hatch fully manually and then closing it again manually.

Tried initialising the system by opening the hatch fully manually and then closing it again manually and it's just the same, will only open or close with the button or the keyfob just after the car is unlocked if its been unlocked for a while it will not open.

My 400h definitely didn't behave in that way, and I don't think there is a customisation to make it do so. Really not sure what the issue is other than a sticking locking mechanism on the rear hatch.

When you try and open it, do you get a beep or any other indication that it is trying?

What happens if you try and open the hatch when the vehicle is locked, without unlocking the doors first (that should work)?

The tailgate on my gen 4 RX will only open, button on fob or dash, if the doors are opened first. Its really annoying so if approaching the car you cant just press tailgate open you have to unlock the car first. If using the hands free method it takes two passes if the car is locked

My wifes CRV is much easier as tailgate will open if the car is locked

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

My 400h definitely didn't behave in that way, and I don't think there is a customisation to make it do so. Really not sure what the issue is other than a sticking locking mechanism on the rear hatch.

When you try and open it, do you get a beep or any other indication that it is trying?

What happens if you try and open the hatch when the vehicle is locked, without unlocking the doors first (that should work)?

No beep or any sign of it trying, it's the same if I don't unlock the car and if it's been unlocked and driven to destination.

The only way to open it is right after I've unlocked the car or when driven to my destination and lock then unlock it.

Update.

After some thought and a lot of function checking I have nailed it down to the automatic door locking function which activates when the car reaches about 20 mph is what's causing the issue, I unlocked the car and the hatch opened normally, I then left the car for 30 minutes unlocked and hatch opened normally, I then started the car and reversed down the drive and back up to parking position put car into park switched off engine and the hatch worked normally, then took the car out and returned home (doors auto locked) and the hatch would not open until I locked the car and unlocked it using the key fob or button on the dash.

Not sure if this is normal or not, are their any other RX400h owners who are experiencing this?

So you took it for a drive, during which the doors auto-locked. When you got home, did you just use the driver's door handle to unlock and open your door, or did you use the unlock button?

If all doors are locked on my 450h and I just use my door handle to get out, only the driver's door unlocks, everything else remains locked. Only when I use the unlock button do all other doors and tailgate unlock - this isn't a fault, it's the way it works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

So you took it for a drive, during which the doors auto-locked. When you got home, did you just use the driver's door handle to unlock and open your door, or did you use the unlock button?

If all doors are locked on my 450h and I just use my door handle to get out, only the driver's door unlocks, everything else remains locked. Only when I use the unlock button do all other doors and tailgate unlock - this isn't a fault, it's the way it works.

Very good point, I usually just unlock with the drivers door handle, I am using the car later and will use the unlock button instead of the door handle and see what transpires and report back my findings later.

Best to get the customisation changed so either shifting into P will unlock all doors, or opening the drivers door will unlock all doors.

There is also a customisation to allow the hatch to be opened when the doors are locked.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Can now confirm that if you use the door unlock button instead of the door handle to open the door then hatch opens without problem - thanks sorcerer for the heads up on this one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Best to get the customisation changed so either shifting into P will unlock all doors, or opening the drivers door will unlock all doors.

There is also a customisation to allow the hatch to be opened when the doors are locked.

Now I know how it works I'm quite happy to leave it like it is, I have techstream now so will have a look at the customisations and see what can be changed to my liking.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links