Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

02/2004 RX300 SE-L Height Sensor Air suspension problem

so guys i have explored all the reviews and fixes for air suspension posted on here 

I have jacked the car engine off .Disconnected Battery removed both 

rear height sensors and cleaned them .

The car is higher hopefully i can attach some pics .

However when driving going over the slightest bump i feel like im on a 

bucking bronco.Hard Ride is an understatement what would be the next point of attack 

I will put a call out to breakers yard dot com and get the rear height sensors any other parts i can

explore or need to explore to repair/replace.it still doesn't stop or move  into Lo nd if i switch between N and Hi makes no difference .

I can hear the compressor going by rear drivers side corner but no movement in vehicle height 

if i try and rock any corner the car is rigid like rigor mortise set in 

20180804_140937.jpg

20180804_143308.jpg

20180804_143323.jpg

20180804_141541.jpg

The air suspension is such a complex system but if you're not loosing air then by what you say it does still sound like a sensor problem.  When you say you cleaned the sensor does that mean you took it apart to clean it internally?  The LS ones can be taken apart and inspected and resealed, not sure if the RX is the same. What caused it in the first place, or did it suddenly happen?

20180804_145135.thumb.jpg.e1ba491c23e81986bf9e7cc75c8ae5c6.jpg20180805_084829.thumb.jpg.9882660b4e2ba05a5e0bad674e51eae9.jpgI purchased the RX300 SE-L  for £900 with the fault 

I have a unit as i own a car wash and plenty of tools 

Yes i dissembled both rear sensors and cleaned them inside gently .

The car was lower this morning and the compressor kicked in and did raise it ,

also interestingly the Lo position worked when i pressed it which it didn't before .but didn't after 

the light blinks then goes solid green but the car is still stiff.

as you will see i have totally dismantled rear loading area to access everything 

as also dealing with a no audio issue.

have run diagnostic and the front height also show as fault 

HOWEVER the ride is still rock hard ,the car is superb and in amazing condition with full full history 

none showing Height sensor repairs , I bought it as guessed if i cannot repair it i will strip the good stuff and sell 

parts so im comfy that i can recoup the money , i dont really want to be buying new sensors if its the air struts,.

certainly happy to replace either as there is value in the car for me 

also has 3 fully working keys etc.. 

20180805_104349.jpg

• Like 1

£900 even with the fault sounds like a bargain to me!  Have you tried disconnecting the sensors to see if it drops right down?  Also I seem to remember reading that faulty front sensors/struts can give the impression it's the rear that's at fault.  If all else fails how about converting to coil struts? A few have done it with the 4 costing the same as one new air strut.

• Like 1

yes thats what i am thinking to be honest 

heres some pics of fault codes however i had fuses out and all sorts but put them back and 

ran diagnostic and all cleared except ATF .i think Coil Struts is the easy fix as it really is an amazing car 

and i have already stripped boot so very easy rear access 

i have not jacked front yet and looked at the sensors started on the back as it was such a simple 20180805_131720.thumb.jpg.2da7dbebb54f08972ebf8263e2963d6c.jpg20180805_131731.thumb.jpg.48e48b61c8cdf36da0469f19211c0506.jpg20180805_134004.thumb.jpg.e890ae8987b641113627e0f27162a562.jpg20180805_132956.thumb.jpg.3667d140016c5752e16187e09bb9f47f.jpg20180805_133010.thumb.jpg.8b2a8fd8627a8824f136cab8a05f9165.jpge place to get to 

if any one can point me in a full conversion kit direction thats the next step .

Im very amatuer and enjoy pottering still need to sort out audio issue no sound have located amp 

and it would seem no power to it but all else works except volume and have checked fuses 

20180805_104349.jpg

9 minutes ago, BrightonRX300 said:

Update on amp is I now have full audio volume so dial turns 

and shows from Zero to 58 

but still no sound this was courtesy of the usa SITE DESCRIBING A FIX PROCEDURE 

NO I JUST HAVE TO SUSS 

Well a bit of Sherlock Holmes is good for the brain!  And if you're handy with amps and car music systems maybe you can suss out what's wrong with my Volvo system, especially as I'm only along the coast road in Worthing!  I'll be in Brighton later this week if you're around, it'll be interesting to have a look at your RX.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there folks.  I own a 2000 V reg Toyota Celsior.  It has an air suspension fault. The rear suspension has totally sat down and does not rise.  Disgusting ride to the point its not roadworthy. Its been parked up for the last 18 months. I'm hoping it's not going to be too expensive to repair.  If it is, I'm going to have to part with it. An absolute shame cos its a headturner and has a huge presence on the road. Any suggestions or guidance on this issue would greatly appreciated.  Thanks 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links