Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LPG RX 300. Anyone know this one? Temption.....

Bit late in day, but this car is tempting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-rx300-lpg/183400391262?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I keep thinking about lpg cars. But -heresy! - reading on other makes always leads me back to Lexus. (Stories galore of poor quality elsewhere, etc..)

Anyone recognise the car? Too far to pop over ( I'm in Bristol)

I have had all my cars and the wifes running on LPG for the last 18 years and never had a problem. Always make sure if you are buying one already converted that there no smells of gas and that the install looks nice and neat, also find out if you can who did the original install. Don't listen to the bar room experts they don't have a clue.

• Like 1

We had an RX300 converted to LPG and it was brilliant, so go for it. I'm not sure I'd go for that particular one as I like toys and that one doesn't have the reversing camera or satnav or anything.

The most important thing is to be aware that there are some good conversions and some abysmal conversions. Personally, I'd rather buy one without so that I have control over who does the conversion but YMMV. The following images have just been randomly chosen from a Google image search so if the copyright holders see it and want them taken down, just say so and I'll do it. However, they do illustrate the point very well:

The first one shows an absolute mess of a conversion and I'd run a mile from that. The second one shows something better but still a lot of room for improvement, whilst the third one is very nice and neat.

EDIT: Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. After all, although the pipes and injectors are on show, they are neatly done I suppose, rather than pipes and wires strung randomly and dangerously all over the place, but I just like the neatness of the last one where everything is hidden.

mess.jpg

mess1.jpg

good1.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 11:30 AM, Chris Skelton said:

Bit late in day, but this car is tempting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-rx300-lpg/183400391262?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I keep thinking about lpg cars. But -heresy! - reading on other makes always leads me back to Lexus. (Stories galore of poor quality elsewhere, etc..)

Anyone recognise the car? Too far to pop over ( I'm in Bristol)

Yes, it looks tempting,  but I'm not interested in this one either. 

The seller has told me that road tax is £285 a year. Is that correct: I thought it'd be more?

1 hour ago, welland said:

Yes, it looks tempting,  but I'm not interested in this one either. 

The seller has told me that road tax is £285 a year. Is that correct: I thought it'd be more?

I think ours on a 55-plate was £305 if I remember correctly. You do get a £9 or £10 reduction for running LPG but it's certainly not as low as £285.

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

I think ours on a 55-plate was £305 if I remember correctly. You do get a £9 or £10 reduction for running LPG but it's certainly not as low as £285.

That's interesting.  I hadn't checked the emissions rating for an rx300, but assumed that a 3L petrol engine would put it in a much more expensive band.

8 minutes ago, welland said:

That's interesting.  I hadn't checked the emissions rating for an rx300, but assumed that a 3L petrol engine would put it in a much more expensive band.

I think it changed with the 06-plates and went up to over £500. Autotrader usually lists tax costs in adverts so it should be easy enough to confirm if you have a look there.

OK. The Tax regime changed in 2006 (April, I think.)

So cars BEFORE that date are (now) circa £305, later ones +£500.

There is a lovely 'low' tax 6 month period in 2006 where you can get a Ser 2 SC430 at the cheap (!!) tax rate, for example!

Autotrader usually have the tax rate in the details below -when they put them in.

The tax rate is SUPOSED to deter people buying bigger cars; it may be a european thing.
For example, recent rules banning domestic halogen bulbs in favour of  LED bulbs reckons to cut electric use equivalent to Portugal's total electric useage!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links