Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Balls 😞

Car started this morning for about 5 seconds then cut out - odd as it’s never done that before.  Tried starting again but just cranked over and over with no hint of life.

Bought a new Battery for it this evening (eliminate the easy) and it cranks but won’t start, every 4th or 5th crank cycle (10ish seconds on the starter motor) it coughs and splutters and then gives up.

So rather than fanny about I’m just going to chuck it at a Garage to fix (RAC can flat bed it away when I call them) unless anyone has any pearls of wisdom?

Does anyone know of a good independent within shooting distance of Wokingham?  If not I’ll resign my self to a walletectomy at Lexus Reading.

Thanks all

Jim

Had the same happen to my Jeep. Turned out the gear lever module had failed and because it couldn't sent a message saying it was in neutral it prevented the car from starting. I seriously hope that's not your problem! Good luck

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

I’m in Reading...there’s an independent in Maidenhead -UK Teknics 01628 626996 no idea how good they are. You might just get a local garage to fix it...hang on...you have undertaken the Battery reconnection procedure?

This is detailed in the handbook and syncs the security system and key to ignition system. Won’t start if you don’t do it. Can’t remember but you stick the key in for a number of minutes, switch off, re enter key and fire up. It is on the forum....

I had the same thing on my LS400 a while back in the winter.

Turned out I had sticky throttle, and in first couple of seconds (accidently blipping my throttle on first crank), had flooded engine.

Problem was a this time of year, the fuel does not evaporate out of cylinder quickly enough. I recall I left car for 36 hours before getting  RAC out.

RAC chap cranked the beast way longer than I would have dared and got the car going.  He said Lexus engines tolerances so well done, that fuel evaporation even in the summer can take longer than your average car

Having said that 10 seconds is a long time, so your engine must surely be flooded with fuel.

Best of luck.

Don’t think the LS460 has a hole for a key (that I could find anyway), my gut feel is that it’s either MAP, MAF or cam sensor gone, RAC out tomorrow and then pack it off to Lexus if they can’t do a home start on it.

Thanks all

Jim

8 hours ago, Happy Jim said:

Don’t think the LS460 has a hole for a key (that I could find anyway), my gut feel is that it’s either MAP, MAF or cam sensor gone, RAC out tomorrow and then pack it off to Lexus if they can’t do a home start on it.

Thanks all

Jim

On the US forum, there are some reports of problems with the start button. It could be one of the connections in there.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:50 AM, Tinonline said:

Doesn’t take much to flood them if you do miss the usually clean, crisp start-up.

Internet pint on it’s way to you Sir !!

Half a can of easy start later and it spluttered into life spitting clouds of fuel out of the exhausts (took a minute or so to clear).

No real diagnosis of why, other than maybe change the plugs if they’re getting old - I guess it’s one of those “time will tell” moments as to whether it was a one off or something else is going on.

Hats off to the RAC though, phoned them at 09:00, man and a van on my drive by 10:00 - can’t grumble at that!

Thanks All,

Jim

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links