Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

News Lexus rx400h member

Balan

Hi All. Hope you're keeping well. 

This forum has been a great help to me before purchasing my Rx400h. I thought I would finally introduce myself.

I purchased my Rx400h in November 2019 with 96k and full lexus service history. I took it straight to Lexus for a service and hybrid check which was all complete and was presented with a list of faults which needed rectifying, not all that urgent. 

I have slowly been working through the list completing the working myself. So far I have completed:

-Greased rear slide pins and brake pad changed (this was noted down as both rear calipers seized)

-Replaced rear suspension gaiters. (both sides were split)

-Lower control arms with ball joints (Lower control arm were worn)

-Front and rear anti Roll bar bushes (this wasn't on the list but they were cheap enough to purchase and old one were definitely worn)

I plan on completing all future services myself and any repairs I can do on my drive. I will probably take it to Lexus for the hybrid checks.  I have parts ready for a oil service to complete soon.

Also was thinking of doing a transmission fluid service as my mileage is on 103k now. Whats are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

• Like 2

Welcome Balan to L.O.C. following your period of observation and learning.It is good to hear from you.

You approach to purchase and ongoing maintenance and repair is most thorough and sensible.

Your views on changing the Transmission oils will be both challenged and supported by various Members and I will the jousting to them.

It would be helpful if you could inform us all why, how and where you bought the RX4OOh and what your current impression are.

Hi John. Thank you for your reply. 

I previously owned a BMW 530d which was a lovely car with its fair share of issues but that made it fun to own and work on.

I was driving into central London quite a bit on the weekends, with the ULEZ zones being introduced 7 days a week and the zone expanding I thought it would be the best time to make the decision to sell up. I have always wanted to own a lexus and also liked the the idea of a SUV type vehicle. The RX seemed the perfect choice.

I bought the car privately, got pictures of the service history from the seller beforehand. Called up the dealership and they confirmed the history which I was pleased with. Belts were changed and waterpump at 90K.

I have to admit I really do love the car, Long or short trips are a pleasure. Not having Bluetooth audio is a bit annoying but I have installed a aux cable. My driving style has definitely changed now. 

Thanks

Balan

4 minutes ago, Balan said:

Hi John. Thank you for your reply. 

I previously owned a BMW 530d which was a lovely car with its fair share of issues but that made it fun to own and work on.

I was driving into central London quite a bit on the weekends, with the ULEZ zones being introduced 7 days a week and the zone expanding I thought it would be the best time to make the decision to sell up. I have always wanted to own a lexus and also liked the the idea of a SUV type vehicle. The RX seemed the perfect choice.

I bought the car privately, got pictures of the service history from the seller beforehand. Called up the dealership and they confirmed the history which I was pleased with. Belts were changed and waterpump at 90K.

I have to admit I really do love the car, Long or short trips are a pleasure. Not having bluetooth audio is a bit annoying but I have installed a aux cable. My driving style has definitely changed now. 

Thanks

Balan

Thanks Balan. Traditionally, the Lexus will give you different "difficulties" to the BM.......as you are obviously finding out!

Please contribute freely.

Hi Balan. Re transmission oil service. Look on YouTube as there are a couple of excellent videos specifically on the RX. Looks like you're quickly reaching 100k miles. Spark plugs will need to be done. At lexus you're looking at £650 to supply and fit. There are videos showing how to change the plugs. Its the rear 3 that are swines to do. As for Bluetooth streaming. Since you have an aux cable you can buy from eBay inline Bluetooth adapters. You may also need a interference filter inline also available on eBay. I have them in my is250 and works a treat. Enjoy you car pal. You'll love it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Balan. Re transmission oil service. Look on YouTube as there are a couple of excellent videos specifically on the RX. Looks like you're quickly reaching 100k miles. Spark plugs will need to be done. At lexus you're looking at £650 to supply and fit. There are videos showing how to change the plugs. Its the rear 3 that are swines to do. As for bluetooth streaming. Since you have an aux cable you can buy from ebay inline bluetooth adapters. You may also need a interference filter inline also available on eBay. I have them in my is250 and works a treat. Enjoy you car pal. You'll love it.

I thought plugs  were changed at 60k and 120k Vlad?

Edited by royoftherovers
typo

3 hours ago, Balan said:

Also was thinking of doing a transmission fluid service as my mileage is on 103k now. Whats are your thoughts on this?

It's overdue at that mileage so definitely do it. You want a transmission service that includes replacing the fluid and the filter assembly, *not* a flush.

Since you're in London I would highly recommend taking it to Russell Birch at Toyotec in Redhill, if it isn't too far. They have loan cars.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Balan. Re transmission oil service. Look on YouTube as there are a couple of excellent videos specifically on the RX. Looks like you're quickly reaching 100k miles. Spark plugs will need to be done. At lexus you're looking at £650 to supply and fit. There are videos showing how to change the plugs. Its the rear 3 that are swines to do. As for bluetooth streaming. Since you have an aux cable you can buy from ebay inline bluetooth adapters. You may also need a interference filter inline also available on eBay. I have them in my is250 and works a treat. Enjoy you car pal. You'll love it.

Thanks for the reply Mr Vlad. 

I had the plugs done at 60k (according to service history)  so was factoring in getting them done at 120k. I will look into the Bluetooth adapters, might be just what I need.

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m4rkw said:

It's overdue at that mileage so definitely do it. You want a transmission service that includes replacing the fluid and the filter assembly, *not* a flush.

Since you're in London I would highly recommend taking it to Russell Birch at Toyotec in Redhill, if it isn't too far. They have loan cars.

Hi m4rkw, Thanks for the reply.

I have bought 6L of toyota WS fluid for the transmission and rear diff.

I didn't think there was a filter in the CVT gearbox, I might be wrong and need to look into this. 

Hoping to get this done on my drive while we still have the good weather. 

Thanks

Balan

Roy. When i had a RX450H I was told that the plugs get done at 100k miles. On my is250 its at 60k intervals. Maybe I was told wrong.

Balan I hope the links I put up come out. I got these and am more than happy. The 90 degree power adapter is because in my car I use the cigarette power socket in the arm rest cubbyhole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223550132778

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292074804774

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333306908036

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283938989823

Ignore the Bluetooth item states for BMW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

No problem Vlad. Never believe what people say, trust what is written officially.

Regards.

Unless it's that you shouldn't change your transmission fluid because it's "sealed for life".

1 minute ago, m4rkw said:

Unless it's that you shouldn't change your transmission fluid because it's "sealed for life".

But you and I both know Mark what that means ! And it does not mean what owners think it means, does it?

Why don`t you tell them what it means?

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

But you and I both know Mark what that means ! And it does not mean what owners think it means, does it?

Why don`t you tell them what it means?

It's means exactly what it says. Sealed for life. When the fluid's burned up that's the end of it's life!

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

It's means exactly what it says. Sealed for life. When the fluid's burned up that's the end of it's life!

Mark,you have not said that previously.Please look at what you have said.

For reference, it was replying to a conversation with me.

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Mark,you have not said that previously.Please look at what you have said.

For reference, it was replying to a conversation with me.

Yeah sorry that was tongue in cheek, I wasn't being entirely clear and humour doesn't carry well in text. Although what I wrote is technically true, the manufacturer has a designed service life of the transmission in mind which is very different from what most people would hope to get from it. So yes when the fluid's burnt up it's done - that is true, but most of us don't want that to occur at 150k miles. The manufacturer on the other hand, very much does, because then they have an opportunity to sell you a new car. So it's best to avoid the fluid getting burned up by changing it pre-emptively.

In a semi-related note I got into a long argument with some others on our sister forum about oil change intervals. The same logic can be applied there - the service schedule for a car is based on a designed service life and things like the oil change interval are based on ideal operating conditions. If you don't drive a car much and take very short trips, changing more often is a good idea in my opinion. Apparently this is a controversial opinion though as I pretty much got told to be quiet over there 😄  but it does make sense if you think it through. Less maintenance looks good on paper which helps sell the car. Looks great to fleet buyers "this one costs less to run". All it has to do is make it well outside the warranty period and job's a g'd'un, as they say. Maybe most people don't care because they don't keep cars very long, but I plan to drive mine until the wheels come off so I want it to last as long as possible.

14 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Yeah sorry that was tongue in cheek, I wasn't being entirely clear and humour doesn't carry well in text. Although what I wrote is technically true, the manufacturer has a designed service life of the transmission in mind which is very different from what most people would hope to get from it. So yes when the fluid's burnt up it's done - that is true, but most of us don't want that to occur at 150k miles. The manufacturer on the other hand, very much does, because then they have an opportunity to sell you a new car. So it's best to avoid the fluid getting burned up by changing it pre-emptively.

You have been technically incorrect on previous occasions Mark and you are not being as helpful as you could be to members.Please get things right, do not waffle and do not rely on what others have said to you. If you do not know definitively, then say so.

Cut the bull**** and act responsibly.

And take the time out to see what you have said to me previously about "sealed for life"

8 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

In a semi-related note I got into a long argument with some others on our sister forum about oil change intervals. The same logic can be applied there - the service schedule for a car is based on a designed service life and things like the oil change interval are based on ideal operating conditions. If you don't drive a car much and take very short trips, changing more often is a good idea in my opinion. Apparently this is a controversial opinion though as I pretty much got told to be quiet over there 😄  but it does make sense if you think it through. Less maintenance looks good on paper which helps sell the car. Looks great to fleet buyers "this one costs less to run". All it has to do is make it well outside the warranty period and job's a g'd'un, as they say. Maybe most people don't care because they don't keep cars very long, but I plan to drive mine until the wheels come off so I want it to last as long as possible.

I am in the process of replying to your last contribution to this thread Mark and I do not want you to be quiet about anything,but please be correct in what you say.

7 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You have been technically incorrect on previous occasions Mark and you are not being as helpful as you could be to members.Please get things right, do not waffle and do not rely on what others have said to you. If you do not know definitively, then say so.

Cut the bull**** and act responsibly.

And take the time out to see what you have said to me previously about "sealed for life"

I'm confused, are you talking about this? 

Because as far as I can tell that's exactly the same as what I've said here and you liked that post.. I said 100k previously and 150k this time, both intended to be very vague approximate mileages because nobody can really predict exactly when a transmission will fail, is that what you're referring to?

14 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Roy. When i had a RX450H I was told that the plugs get done at 100k miles. On my is250 its at 60k intervals. Maybe I was told wrong.

Balan I hope the links I put up come out. I got these and am more than happy. The 90 degree power adapter is because in my car I use the cigarette power socket in the arm rest cubbyhole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223550132778

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292074804774

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333306908036

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283938989823

Ignore the bluetooth item states for BMW.

Thanks so much Mr Vlad. This is just what I need

Balan

12 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I'm confused, are you talking about this? 

Because as far as I can tell that's exactly the same as what I've said here and you liked that post.. I said 100k previously and 150k this time, both intended to be very vague approximate mileages because nobody can really predict exactly when a transmission will fail, is that what you're referring to?

Mark, I enjoy reading many of your posts,but if you feel that you are being consistent, then I am a loss to understand you.

We should agree to disagree, but do keep offering sound advice to Members..

Regards

Mark, I enjoy reading many of your posts,but if you feel that you are being consistent, then I am a loss to understand you.

We should agree to disagree, but do keep offering sound advice to Members..

I'm still confused, could you perhaps explain how you think I've been inconsistent?

29 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

I'm still confused, could you perhaps explain how you think I've been inconsistent?

both intended to be very vague approximate mileages because nobody can really predict exactly when a transmission will fail, is that what you're referring to?"

Intending to be so imprecise is not compatible with giving good sound advise Mark.

You are knowledgeable and experienced enough to display and offer solid and sensible advice to Members of this Forum. If you can offer it with an occasional sense of humour (as you do), that can make bad news more palatable.

You know that "sealed for life" means the production life of a model.

You will also know that there has not been a single example of a transmission fault with a Toyota/Lexus Hybrid Transmission.

You also know that sound and sensible use of preventative maintenance is an absolute requirement for an owner.

You also know that nothing in life can be taken for granted,but the right, disciplined and structured approach is the one to take.

I do not wish to perpetuate the matter as we are both here to serve Members in the best way we can.

Many thanks for asking.

Regards

John

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Intending to be so imprecise is not compatible with giving good sound advise Mark.

Well fair enough, I guess I should be consistent when I talk about designed service life. To be honest though I don't think it matters all that much, nobody wants their transmission to fail at either 100k or 150k so either way the recommendation is obviously to service it sooner than either of these points. I apologise again if what I said sounded confusing or misleading.

You will also know that there has not been a single example of a transmission fault with a Toyota/Lexus Hybrid Transmission.

This I did not know!  Agree with everything else you said.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links