Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thermostat

Disaster, seems buying cheap has thrown up a problem already. 

Thermostat has stuck shut. So car is over heating. Just had to limp it home. 

Looks to me like its a Lexus only part, as non of the major suppliers have them listed.

Has anyone had one fail or replaced? I have a part number, but if anyone knows where I can source one quickly or a breaker that has one. Please let me know. 

• Sad 1

Thanks, they don't have one. I did a lot of online hunting yesterday and looks like it is a Lexus only part. Going to speak to them tomorrow morning and see how much it costs new. If its a fortune, I'll look to get one secondhand. 

Read that they can sometimes have problems with the waterpump, so a bit tempted to do that at the same time. 

• Like 1

Why dont you run it without the thermostat temporarily until you get the right one from lexus. Heater will be colder but car will run fine. I have done this before on old cars. Are you sure you got all the air out the system when you changed the thermostat, you can get an airlock?

Not worth chancing a second hand thermostat surely? Too critical a component to chance it. I would remove the thermostat and test it in a saucepan on the cooker hob. Boil the water and see if it fully opens just before the water boils. Assuming it’s easy to get at the thermostat. I’m going back 30 years when it was relatively easy to do this! If thermostat fails it’s likely to be the water pump as you mentioned. Or an airlock as someone else has mentioned. Good luck!

So, I have ordered a new thermostat and housing, its all one unit, so can't simply remove it unfortunately. Have to wait till Wednesday for this. 

Cost is best part of £200. Just trying to get hold of them again, going to order a waterpump too. Might as well as all the coolent needs draining.

** edit, Ordered a waterpump and complete service kit too. Might as well do the lot while its in bits. Not great though just before crimbo.

1 hour ago, Subtronics said:

So, I have ordered a new thermostat and housing, its all one unit, so can't simply remove it unfortunately. Have to wait till Wednesday for this. 

Cost is best part of £200. Just trying to get hold of them again, going to order a waterpump too. Might as well as all the coolent needs draining.

** edit, Ordered a waterpump and complete service kit too. Might as well do the lot while its in bits. Not great though just before crimbo.

Good luck, hope this works. Agree re water pump, you only go in once then 😀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links