Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spacesaver tyre specs..

Gearoidmuar

Hi all

I'm considering changing my GS300h Exec edition 2017 for an ES with Premium pack as I want the memory seats option (2020 MY on I think). The one thing putting me off is the lack of a spare wheel. The 2019 Toyota Camry has pretty much the same body shell AFAIK & does come with a space saver wheel and kit. Any reason why it wouldn't fit in an ES, and what (if any) mods need to be done? I've asked the Lexus dealership but they don't want to know.

Thanks

I am also keen to know if the Camry spare wheel fits. Dealer absolutely useless on the matter and not helpful. I find it astonishing that an exec saloon like the ES does not have a spare yet many budget cars can have one if you pay extra. 

My ES is on order so not got it yet but really concerned about not having a spare, never had a car before with a puncture repair kit. Are other owners not bothered about this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cs150 said:

I am also keen to know if the Camry spare wheel fits. Dealer absolutely useless on the matter and not helpful. I find it astonishing that an exec saloon like the ES does not have a spare yet many budget cars can have one if you pay extra. 

My ES is on order so not got it yet but really concerned about not having a spare, never had a car before with a puncture repair kit. Are other owners not bothered about this?

I find it a bit of a concern and I will get one if someone can come up with a solution, meanwhile just let the roadside assistance sort it out. I'm getting a bit old for changing wheels on the hard shoulder.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:11 PM, cymrymdt said:

Hi all

I'm considering changing my GS300h Exec edition 2017 for an ES with Premium pack as I want the memory seats option (2020 MY on I think). The one thing putting me off is the lack of a spare wheel. The 2019 Toyota Camry has pretty much the same body shell AFAIK & does come with a space saver wheel and kit. Any reason why it wouldn't fit in an ES, and what (if any) mods need to be done? I've asked the Lexus dealership but they don't want to know.

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied but gave up in the end and p/ex’d the GS for an NX 300h 2018/68 Luxury with 18k miles and one owner from new. Very pleased so far, although missing the memory seats (and fuel economy!). Life is full of compromises. 

Still a good choice the NX.   I stood next to a showroom NX and was very impressed with the interior, not sure what spec it was but no wonder it's their best selling car.  

• 1 year later...

Many people have raised issues about size equivalence of skinny wheels. My understanding is the offset of the original wheel shouldn't matter [see below] as the spacesavers are 'skinny'. So nothing is going to get 'stuck in the works' anywhere.

I'll give you an example.

LEXUS/TOYOTA WHEELS ARE 5 stud with a PCD Bolt pattern/PITCH CENTRE DIAMETERS) [diameter (mm) of an imaginary circle through the centre of the studs/bolt holes] of 114.3 mm. 5x114.3 with a centre bore of 60.1mm (diameter of the hub [hole in the middle of the wheel]).

Also various wheels have different offsets. (The difference in mm between the tyre centreline (half of the width) and the hub to the top of the wheel in mm). This figure can be positive, neutral or negative.

So, My 2023 LEXUS ES300h PE has 235/45R18 tyres.

A suitable skinny wheel might have a size of 135/90R17 tyres.

Here the skinny wheel diameter is small but the tyre depth is more which compensates.

The important thing is that the difference in outer diameter of the tyres should be no more than +/-  3% or less.

With the above example you can do the comparison the long way using tyre sizes and tyre size definitions and some trigonometry OR cheat and use a tyre size comparator tool such as:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

There is a seller on eBay who sells good condition OEM Toyota/Lexus skinny wheels sparewheelsdirect (5235) for about £100. Unfortunately they do not give the skinny wheel sizes so that you can use a comparison tool to check for yourself.

For about £150 thewheelshop.co.uk supplies new skinnies. If you tell them you vehicle and tyre size details they will 

suggest a size and show the comparison sizes.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, Cs150 said:

Many people have raised issues about size equivalence of skinny wheels. My understanding is the offset of the original wheel shouldn't matter [see below] as the spacesavers are 'skinny'. So nothing is going to get 'stuck in the works' anywhere.

I'll give you an example.

LEXUS/TOYOTA WHEELS ARE 5 stud with a PCD Bolt pattern/PITCH CENTRE DIAMETERS) [diameter (mm) of an imaginary circle through the centre of the studs/bolt holes] of 114.3 mm. 5x114.3 with a centre bore of 60.1mm (diameter of the hub [hole in the middle of the wheel]).

Also various wheels have different offsets. (The difference in mm between the tyre centreline (half of the width) and the hub to the top of the wheel in mm). This figure can be positive, neutral or negative.

So, My 2023 LEXUS ES300h PE has 235/45R18 tyres.

A suitable skinny wheel might have a size of 135/90R17 tyres.

Here the skinny wheel diameter is small but the tyre depth is more which compensates.

The important thing is that the difference in outer diameter of the tyres should be no more than +/-  3% or less.

With the above example you can do the comparison the long way using tyre sizes and tyre size definitions and some trigonometry OR cheat and use a tyre size comparator tool such as:

There is a seller on eBay who sells good condition OEM Toyota/Lexus skinny wheels sparewheelsdirect (5235) for about £100. Unfortunately they do not give the skinny wheel sizes so that you can use a comparison tool to check for yourself.

For about £150 thewheelshop.co.uk supplies new skinnies. If you tell them you vehicle and tyre size details they will 

• Like 1

The space saver spare differs between brands but only in the height of the tyre wall.  My Toyota CHR had no spare from ordering it so I bought the official Toyota 18 inch space saver which transferred to my current ES without issue.  Same 5 hole spacing and the diameter of the black steel rim was identical to a previous space saver I had, on a  Lexus GS450h. The difference between the tyre wall height is what you want to get right in order to get near the rolling diameter of your normal road wheels.     

To simplify the critical factors to check for your chosen skinny wheel are:

CHECK 1 (OBVIOUSLY)

Will it fit on the studs?

Does the skinny wheel have the 'standard' LEXUS/TOYOTA stud pattern (PCD) of 5 x 114.3?

If not, move on!

CHECK 2

Is the outer diameter / rotations per mile within +/- 3% (2.5%) of the original?

Why? It reduces, as I understand, potential transmission system stress to a minimum.

Use a tyre size comparator tool such as found at:

E.g.

My original tyre size 235/45R18

One suitable skinny tyre size would be 135/90R17

Difference in rotations/mile 1.1%

Not suitable would be a skinny wheel I was offered (from an NX300h)

NX300h skinny tyre size 165/80/R17

Why?

Difference in rotations/mile 4.2%

My motto is:

'Don't overthink it: Deep thinking can be positively dangerous especially for those who don't'

On 6/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, SH20 said:

As stated before in this thread,  it is clear other models of Lexus space saver wheels will fit the ES, e.g  a GS300 or GS450h  which have them as standard. The tapered wheel nut faces and corresponding wheel  bolt hole face cause no issues and the steel space saver clears all the brake callipers.    

As long as the overall diameter of the space saver wheel and tyre wall are the same as the overall diameter of the standard alloy wheel incl tyre wall there is no problem.   Likewise is someone says the overall circumference of the space saver should be the same or very near the same as the original wheels, there is no issue.   

The tyre wall on a space saver is deeper than the tyre wall  on an original ES alloy wheel that's why the space saver wheel without it's tyre is usually a smaller diameter but the space saver tyre makes up the difference.   

I recall starting this thread some weeks ago when I posted photos of my GS300h space saver which was bought on ebay but didn't expect the post to still raise so many questions and/or comments.    I'm guessing we would all have opted for a space saver as an option if Lexus didn't treat the UK as unworthy.   If the cost of a space saver is more expensive than all  the junk you get with those awful one use only tyre inflation kits it merely reinforces the fact that us poor Brits have been plundered by higher car prices in the UK than say the EU or the US and have done for decades.     So if Lexus think they are doing us a favour by fitting an inflation kit to keep prices down or  the weight down then that is a load of nonsense.  Every car producer in the world that sells cars in the UK know full well we are the sacred cow and they charge far more in the UK than in other markets especially the US who just won't pay over inflated prices. Sure the US is Toyota's biggest market so they would say they can charge less but lets be honest here we get taken to the cleaners when we talk of new car prices.   I'll get off my soap box now.          

17 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Following with interest.

My auto electrician (I don't think you need one if you are capable of taking the door liner out) is fitting it next Friday 22th September. [I have got in advance from the factory instructions on how to reset/reboot it just in case it's required. You know how electronic set-ups can sometimes require a reboot of some sort]. Given it plugs into three existing sockets (door lock/window motor and a permanent live feed) it should be easy! (We shall see).

If this works I might ask for the module which closes/opens all windows/sunroof & mirrors upon locking/unlocking. They have yet to confirm this will work with UK spec. (RHD) Lexus ES.

• Thanks 1

To simplify the critical factors to check for your chosen skinny wheel are:

CHECK 1 (OBVIOUSLY)

Will it fit on the studs?

Does the skinny wheel have the 'standard' LEXUS/TOYOTA stud pattern (PCD) of 5 x 114.3?

If not, move on!

CHECK 2

Is/are the outer diameter / rotations per mile within +/- 3% (2.5%) of the original?

Why? It reduces, as I understand, potential transmission system stress to a minimum.

Use a tyre size comparator tool such as found at:

E.g.

My original ES tyre size is 235/45R18

One suitable skinny tyre size would be 135/90R17

Difference in rotations/mile 1.1%

Not suitable would be a skinny wheel I was offered (from an NX300h)

NX300h skinny tyre size 165/80/R17

Why?

Difference in rotations/mile 4.2%

My motto is:

'Don't overthink it: Deep thinking can be positively dangerous; particularly for those who don't!'

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, Neil James said:

My auto electrician (I don't think you need one if you are capable of taking the door liner out) is fitting it next Friday 22th September. [I have got in advance from the factory instructions on how to reset/reboot it just in case it's required. You know how electronic set-ups can sometimes require a reboot of some sort]. Given it plugs into three existing sockets (door lock/window motor and a permanent live feed) it should be easy! (We shall see).

If this works I might ask for the module which closes/opens all windows/sunroof & mirrors upon locking/unlocking. They have yet to confirm this will work with UK spec. (RHD) Lexus ES.

Will the mirrors operate on locking/unlocking or ignition on/off? Maybe a new thread on this, l can see it being popular?

I've ordered a different module which also has three plugs which should close windows, sun roof and fold mirrors on locking. It will unfold mirrors on one unlock click and re-open windows and/or sunroof to their previous position ion two unlock clicks.When fitted I'll let you'll know!

PartsSouq have despatched the tool TRAY, SPARE WHEEL by Emiratee Post/Parcelforce.

Hopefully, they'll re-stock soon.

The Thai supplier  Yoshi parts recalculated shipping by FedEx International Priority as an oversize item to $339. 53(part cost $99.41). Total $438.94!

Needless to say I cancelled with full refund (awaited).

IMG_0296.png

On 9/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, Neil James said:

Any updates on this install?

24 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Any updates on this install?

Yes my detailed one just disappeared into the ether!

Short version.

All singing/all dancing module arrived (from different supplier)

I no instructions (Chinese or English)

Ive just found instructions on the seller's thread and translated into English.

Expected delivery to be 3 weeks instead of 5 days so I put appoint with auto-electrician back to Friday 6th September.

Will try to bring appointment forward on Monday.

Im asking him to confirm reset on existing mirror folder is OK and to fit and test auto mirror folder/window & sun-roof closer on lock/unlock.

Will keep you' all posted!

Just now, Neil James said:

Yes my detailed one just disappeared into the ether!

Short version.

All singing/all dancing module arrived (from different supplier)

I no instructions (Chinese or English)

Ive just found instructions on the seller's thread and translated into English.

Expected delivery to be 3 weeks instead of 5 days so I put appoint with auto-electrician back to Friday 6th September.

Will try to bring appointment forward on Monday.

Im asking him to confirm reset on existing mirror folder is OK and to fit and test auto mirror folder/window & sun-roof closer on lock/unlock.

Will keep you' all posted!

If successful I'll measure interest for the all singing all dancing module amongst ES PE owners on a new thread, as suggested by 'beyond the blue'.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:16 AM, Neil James said:

PartsSouq have despatched the tool TRAY, SPARE WHEEL by Emiratee Post/Parcelforce.

Hopefully, they'll re-stock soon.

The Thai supplier  Yoshi parts recalculated shipping by FedEx International Priority as an oversize item to $339. 53(part cost $99.41). Total $438.94!

Needless to say I cancelled with full refund (awaited).

IMG_0296.png

It would be fair to say Yoshi parts speedily gave a full refund. I even gained c.£10 on the FOREX conversion!

I'll let you'all know when the TRAY, SPARE WHEEL arrives from the UAE. There should be no duty as irs under £130 GBP. If they wish to charge VAT I'll provide a disabled person's exemption code as I cannot afford to be stranded. We'll see of that flies.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links