Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

As it wasn't raining today I decided to replace my spark plugs, not the nicest job but done anyway.  When I was doing it I noticed the rocker covers were leaking oil, by leaking I mean an oily misting. When I checked the cover bolts they were only just over hand tight, so when you're next under the bonnet it may be worth checking yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I makes you wonder if the gaskets had been replaced at some time but the bolts weren’t torqued down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These?

InkedIMG_20200930_113456_LI.thumb.jpg.5d500f616896aefced315ed0fa99aaff.jpg

Mine weren't terribly tight either and it was a little greasy down there, just as misting as you say. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

I makes you wonder if the gaskets had been replaced at some time but the bolts weren’t torqued down.

Possibly, but with only 60k you'd have to wonder why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

These?

InkedIMG_20200930_113456_LI.thumb.jpg.5d500f616896aefced315ed0fa99aaff.jpg

Mine weren't terribly tight either and it was a little greasy down there, just as misting as you say. 

Yes, although the layout is slightly different.  I managed to just about get in to tighten the bottom bolts as well, surprisingly I still have all knuckles intact!  I think there were 9 bolts each side, at least that's what I managed to access. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up leaving mine alone. I was suspicious of why none of them seemed particularly tight and mine is low mileage too so unlikely someone had changed the gaskets. Turning them felt as if they were sprung somehow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I ended up leaving mine alone. I was suspicious of why none of them seemed particularly tight and mine is low mileage too so unlikely someone had changed the gaskets. Turning them felt as if they were sprung somehow. 

Mine felt ok as I tightened them, I didn't go mad, just a tweak but I'll keep watch over the weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are still bone dry, I did notice some oil in the spark plug tubes which means the seals are leaking so that’s cam covers off job anyway so new gaskets too....... when it gets a bit warmer 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership