Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

business must be booming

Loken

just received a ridiculous valuation from Lexus Reading for my SC430.

2001  Full Lexus history- I am the second owner.

93000 miles-silver with black leather-v.g.condition.

Was looking at a NX as my bad back is not getting any better but with a valuation of £2900 I will be sticking with the SC (and painkillers) for a while yet!!

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Loken said:

just received a ridiculous valuation from Lexus Reading for my SC430.

2001  Full Lexus history- I am the second owner.

93000 miles-silver with black leather-v.g.condition.

Was looking at a NX as my bad back is not getting any better but with a valuation of £2900 I will be sticking with the SC (and painkillers) for a while yet!!

At least you know where not to go Jim.

Why not join Lexusworld.com ?

28 minutes ago, Loken said:

2001  Full Lexus history

jeez, can't begin to think the servicing and maintenance £££££ you've spent with Lexus ............ £2900 wot a dopey valn. for trade-in

Lexus should be ashamed of themselves 😲

Malc

• Like 1

The dealer has to make the profit somewhere and they will allow for the odd issue or surprise. They won't put the car on the forecourt so it will go out to trade. £2900 is very low if it's a well kept example, they hope you are keen to enjoy the new car and want to offload the old car hassle free.  Lexus Reading and Cardiff offered £4k for my 06 SC against 2 different RCFs, it's about what I expected. 

• Like 1

The salesman explained that they would not retail a car over 10 years old as they could not offer a warranty.

Bit strange that there is a 15 year old example at Lexus Sidcup for £15k.

However, not exactly a hardship cruising around in the SC-when the weather picks up and we are all vaccinated of course!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Loken said:

The salesman explained that they would not retail a car over 10 years old as they could not offer a warranty.

Bit strange that there is a 15 year old example at Lexus Sidcup for £15k.

However, not exactly a hardship cruising around in the SC-when the weather picks up and we are all vaccinated of course!!

And he wanted to avoid responsibility for the 6 month Statutory Warranty !! Would you buy ANY car from that man or Business ?

Not a chance John!!

Very disappointed with the whole episode.

Superb product, excellent service Dept at Leeds but Sales at Reading have a bit of catching up to do.

I know they have to make a profit but £2900 is borderline criminal.

• Like 1

Jim its not really close to criminal. What would an independent dealer sell your SC for £6,000, they buy it in at £4,000 less second hand car VAT £336 less cost to collect from Lexus dealer and they have to provide 3 months warranty. The Lexus dealer sells at £4,000 less second hand car VAT £168. Added to which the Lexus dealer doesn’t want the PX in the first place. Not as convenient but post an advert in 'For Sale section' I'm sure it would sell quickly.

The only thing I was surprised about that they made an offer for you at all. When I jokingly asked how much they would give for me 2008 IS250, they said it will be like £400 (basically price of scrap metal), but they just said it verbally and refused make an official offer, but they could scrap it for £2000-£4000 depending on car I wanted to purchase (must be new). I then said that my F-Sport wheels alone costs like easy £1000... and we had a laughed together with sales guy. That is just reality of PX in dealerships.

So not really sure what you expect there to be honest - how much you thought it is going to be (certainly not retail price of ~£5k)? It is known that PX offers from dealers are always lowest bottom offer imaginable. Thinking about it, any dealership in UK of any make would give something similar, but most would probably refuse to PX altogether. On top of that what you expect them to do with 2001 car? I know that If I would take my RC for PX, I would hardly get £10k, yet the cheapest retail is like £18,900.

In fact for them your car is totally worthless.... the offer of £2900 is not what they pay for your car actually, but rather how much discount they willing to make from their NX. It is not like they will be selling it through dealership, so most likely will auction in... and what SC worth in auction? Probably not even £2900.

5 hours ago, Loken said:

Was looking at a NX

4 minutes ago, Djwbiker said:

the Lexus dealer doesn’t want the PX in the first place.

BUT he needs to unlock / realise his profit on the NX !

it's often a fine balancing act ( I know from my days as a car dealer many moons ago ) and in this lockdown climate the finer considerations are even finer to tune

Malc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting replies!!

Having been in the car sales game ( again many moons ago) I know how the system works.

Usually the dealer would release some profit from the retail vehicle, add it onto trade price of the p/x and the customer thinks he's getting a great price for his old car.

I wonder what trade in price Lexus Sidcup gave for the 56 reg SC430 for sale at nearly 15k? No mention of Full history or the number of owners. The margin across the car must be huge.

Privately, there is a re-sprayed 2001, 6 owner 161,000 mile car at £5795.

The valuation begs another question-why maintain the full Lexus history at significant cost when the return at selling time is derisory?

Its not Lexus after all ..........................it might as well be bags of spuds ..............................they are just franchised salesmen ................... back to my snooze !

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Loken said:

Privately, there is a re-sprayed 2001, 6 owner 161,000 mile car at £5795.

The valuation begs another question-why maintain the full Lexus history at significant cost when the return at selling time is derisory?

I would rather focus on how much the cars sells, rather than on the price they listed for.

Lexus service history (or any main dealer history) becomes irrelevant after ... maybe 3-5 years. So indeed if you trying to sell car after 5 years and 60k miles (still expensive car) and it has patchy service history it will impact the sale price. But once car is 100k miles and over 10 years old... I doubt anyone anyone cares. I mean sure - it will be "easier" to sell as potential buyer will have less questions and concerns, but that doesn't translate into more money.

There are cars where it still matters, like more exotic cars, very low miles Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Aston Martin - sure service history and even individual work carried out matters there, but not on Lexus or other "normal" cars. But even then you will only get any "value" out of it if selling privately - dealership will rip you off regardless and will fabricate service history themselves. Ferrari (at least in US) are even known to "clock" their cars if they feel condition justifies it. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links